Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

cutting cultured marble vanity tops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting cultured marble vanity tops

I am a trim carpenter in southern WI. The GC I sub-contract from buys stock size marble tops we have to cut to fit between walls. Has any one used a saw blade or router bit to cut this material with, and have good results? Tops are usually 72 3/4" long vanities 72" with small filler. I have tried to talk him into just making openings bigger but havn't had any luck. Thanks for any info. Pinecrest

Re: cutting cultured marble vanity tops

I have successfully cut them with a masonry blade in a circular saw, as well as a smaller abrasive blade in an angle grinder. Tried using a diamond wheel in the angle grinder, but it didn't cut very well. Keep in mind, the cut edge was not pretty, but it was covered up with a side splash.

Good luck.

Comment

Pinecrest- I usually just use whatever blade is in my circular saw to cut them, (from underneath when possible), and clean the cut up with a belt sander. I never use the side splashes.

Mike.

Comment

We've belt-sanded edges for minor scribing - 36 or 50 grit.

Comment

You can make a real nice cut with a masonry blade in a skil saw. It's no big deal at all.

Whatever you do, cut outdoors and do not breath the dust. Any type of fine masonry dust has the long-term effect of causing silicosis, a serious lung condition.
          "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
          Wood storm windows in Chicago
          Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

I used a masonry blade in a circular saw for years, which really does work fine for most applications. But 4 or 5 years back, I tried using a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond blade and never looked back. Now, I can make a cleaner cut with a grinder than I ever could with a saw. It is great for cutting the inevitable crooked scribe line. And with a grinding wheel installed, I can grind off any high spots on the bottom side of the top that hold the top off the cabinet. I also use the grinder for cutting off and/or splitting pre-cast columns. It's a great little tool. Very versatile.

Paul
            "Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Comment

Cirular saw and a belt sander.

Comment

4 1/2 grinder works great.I clamp a striaght pc of wood to the top and let the grinder sheild ride up against it. A good diamond wheel will make a nice cut Make a few practice cuts and get a feel of how the tool reacts to the material. First cut your just trying to follow a line. Make a few passes not just one cut. Let us know how you make out. Hope this helps

Neil DeStefano

Comment

A tip shared with me from a cultured marble installer. Pull the saw backwards through the cut. It will push the dust underneath the piece and cut down on the amount of air borne dust. I tried it and it does help. As others said, cut outside, preferably with some wind pushing the dust away from you.

Comment

Working...
                  X