Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Fastening into a steel I beam - Ramset?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastening into a steel I beam - Ramset?

Hey, I know this isn't strictly finish related (although I WILL be required to fasten blocking to a steel girder preparatory to installing the trim), but I'm sure one of you guys can help me out on this one:
    How would YOU fasten a 2x4 to a 3/8" thick steel I beam? I've got to fasten about 600 LF to the beam webs before attaching drywall then a big crown on top. I've heard that you can ramset into steel but never tried it and wonder how practical that will be given the quantity of shots required? Anyone have any experience with this? I'm open to suggestions... cost is not really an issue.
    Thanks,

Mark

Re: Fastening into a steel I beam - Ramset?

Is the steel already up? Can you get the shop to drill holes if not?

Comment

It will work fine. I do it all the time. I assume you already have a gun right?
      You need at least a .25 if not a .27 to do it. Use the red loads.

With 600ft to worry about, I would seriously invest in a Hilti .27 semi-auto. The nails come in strip form and go into a magazine. It will basically fire as fast as you can pull the trigger. Just make sure you shoot squarely into the steel or else....ba-ting! ricochet!

FYI, you can also shoot right into a lally column too. Ultra cool....
      Your source for:
      Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
      Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
      Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
      Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Ramset to steel. No problem.

Comment

So no problem with the nails staying put in 3/8" solid steel? Attachment is solid and permanent? They don't come back at you or split the stock up? I have a strip load .25 but already figured to spring for a new autoload-gun if it will really work. Don't see as I have any other options, right?
          No, steel is up (looks like it's been there at least 100 years) already so no way to drill. Tec screws wouldn't work any better would they?
          Thanks.

Comment

another on ramset-you will have no problem

Comment

Ramset.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark White
                So no problem with the nails staying put in 3/8" solid steel? Attachment is solid and permanent? They don't come back at you or split the stock up? I have a strip load .25 but already figured to spring for a new autoload-gun if it will really work. Don't see as I have any other options, right?
                No, steel is up (looks like it's been there at least 100 years) already so no way to drill. Tec screws wouldn't work any better would they?
                Thanks.
                3/8" is a long way to go with Tek screws, you'd have to predrill. The attachment is solid and permenant, but you have to take care to make sure it is solid and permanent, with the 100 year old steel I'd try a variety of shot. They can indeed come back at you so take precautions. Unless you're doing miles of it a strip load semi automatic will work fine. They can split the stock up so stay away from the edge.

Comment

Ram set. I tried the self drilling screws and they did work but slow. You are limited the the rpm of the drill driving the screws. If you are to slow or to fast they do not work. I tried the drill and impact driver with them The impact driver worked the best. I was driving 3/16 or 1/4 inch screws. Again, Ram set.

Comment

Mark,

What is the width and height of the steel and are the floor joists exposed on both sides of the steel?

There's different ways to frame this without shooting a ton of nails into the steel

Can you make up a U shaped frame and slide it over the steel and nail it into nailers that are nailed into the joists?
                    Joe Carola

Comment

Joe-
                      Actually, that's how it's framed out now. The architect has designed this new assembly in an attempt to fireproof the beam. First pass he had metal channel attached to the steel, two layers drywall and then the trim. Latest version has 2x4 attached to inside edges of the flanges, then the drywall, keeps things tighter to the beam and at least I get some nailing for the trim to come.

Sounds like Ramset is the way to go, I'll be making some calls tomorrow to price the setup and the pins so I can price the job. Thanks for the input everyone!

Comment

they do make a nice screw that will drill through the board and steel and work good but alot slower than the ramset for 600 of them they use them for wooden floored trailers.good for small jobs or if you don't need to spend $500 + on a hilti.

tom d
                        Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

Working...
                        X