Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Best Level

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Level

Hey again guys - my boss tells me that I am in need of a nice level, what's your thoughts on the best brand available?

Is Stabila or Johnson best? Also, which type "box frame level" or "general construction level"? From what I have researched, the "box frame" seems like it would be tougher day in day out?

Most of the work I am doing now is casing out out windows and crown - not setting doors yet, so guess a 48" is the longest I need for now - and probably should get a 24" and maybe a torpedo - don't think I need a 32", right?

I see some are wooden and some are aluminum, which is a better fit for my needs of trimming out windows with casing and also for crown molding installs?

Thanks for all your input!
    Bill

Re: Best Level

Bill,

You will get better information if you do a text search of this forum and also the "Tools and Equipment" forum. This general question has been asked many times, and the more it gets asked, the less likely users are to respond. It gets old fast... and cross posting the same question on muliple forums is not good, as it can only make the forums difficult to use.
    Last edited by Jeff B; 12-18-2005, 07:21 PM.

Comment

I did a search and found a few tidbits on levels, but none specifically talking about differences between box levels & general construction levels.

Don't think I need the magnetic one, since I'm not hanging doors yet, and it sounds as though wood can warp, so aluminum sounds best - but again what's the difference between box levels and a general construction level.

Thanks,
      Bill

Comment

Ditto stabila all the way, you'll find all good carpenters using them.

Comment

I agree with the Stabila. I did a job for a general contractor about a year ago, and he kept buying all of these different levels, and I finally went out and bought a Stabila. One Stanley level he bought had 3 horizontal bubbles and not one of them matched the other. Stablila levels have a lifetime guarantee, and most places that sell them will replace them on the spot if you show the bubble(s) are out.

Comment

Go with Stabila. Most guys I know consider them the best, even though some complain about the bubble not touching the line.

The wooden levels make you look more like an old-timey "craftsman" to those who don't know better, but they are heavy, and unfortunately I think their technology may be obsolete.

Not sure why you need a level for doing casing or crown. For setting standard pre-hung doors, we always work off the margins and reveals, and only level the head, if we even use a level for anything. For larger, more expensive doors, we use plumb bobs and straight edges- again only using a level on the head jamb.

Do whatever your crew suggests, but personally a 2' level and a laser (and a straight edge of appropriate length) gets me by 95% of the time.
            "If you only have a hammer, all problems look like nails"

Vintage wood window repair and restoration in Chicago
            Wood storm windows in Chicago
            Weatherizing vintage buildings in Chicago

Comment

One thing I have found about some of the aluminum levels is that after a few years of use the paint wears off. Slide it across a bit of the primed or painted drywall and it will sometimes leave a mark similiar to a pencil line. Quite a few of the levels now come with some small rubber bumpers that keep the level from actually touching the wall. It can be a nice feature. As far as lengths a 4 ft will do a lot of stuff, a 6 ft can do doors, a 2 ft can do window headers, a torpeodo can do small stuff. Mostly keep track of them, who is using them and make sure that someone does not use them for some stupid stuff like a level instead of a level.

Wood levels seem to have a bit of a romatic old world style. If you get one make sure it has the metal bound edges. Stabila seem to be a favorite. I like the looks of the new blue Empire lines. Seem to be a large bubble and vial but not sure how accurate and how they hold up since they are new on the market.

Comment

in my neck of the woods, masons use wooden levels.

Comment

Stabila gets my vote. As far as the magnets, go ahead and get them, even if you arent hanging doors they help in storage. Stick em to something metal and they wont get knocked over or banged up as bad.

Though pricey they are top quality, many times you can find package deals on two levels. The yellow makes them easy to see at work. And if you get em, dont lend em out.
                  --William P--

Comment

I think stabila is the way to go as long as the help does not use it as a scaffold plank (I also bought a stabila door jambers set last week for 150)

I just bought a johnson 4 footer at amazon for under 20 bucks it seems very good and accurate but it has no magnets

her is a new link for the amazon deal now you get a tool bag and knife and level for 15 dollars with free shipping

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p6855
                    Last edited by phillip; 12-19-2005, 07:05 AM.
                    Beware of the man whose belly does not shake when he laughs

Comment

Ya Stabila is good! I have a johnson though that is holding tough after 10 years. And another good brand was Levelution but I think Stabila bought them out.

Comment

First buy one of the best most accurate levels you can find. Test it six ways to Sunday and make sure it is straight and accurate. Then use it to test all the other levels you might consider buying. I purchased a 6 foot Stabila, and take that to the store to test the Empires and Stanley's etc. I put it on a bench and level it with shims and them put the others on top and if their bubbles line up in ALL positions, I buy it. I do this to buy the small cheap Kaypro Torpedo levels. They are plastic and light weight and easier to get into my pocket and bags. If I lose one in a wall, I don't cry as much. :) Kaypros have proven to be an excellant consistant brand for me as well.

Remember to re-test all your levels perioidically. Stuff happens even when you are not aware of it.

As time when on, I bought more and more Stabilia Levels. With the exception of their cast torpedo levels, they have all been spot on as far as accurate. I use the Torpedo the most, followed by the 6 foot, the 32( from the Jamber set), the 4 foot, the 5 foot, the 24 inch and 16 inch. While you could just buy a set of tile straight edges and switch a small level between them, it is easier to just have the level the appropriate size you can count on. There are often deals at the tool shows for the primary levels you need.

My only magnetic level is the torpedo, but I would like to get the 6 foot version since it will adhere to the hinges and free up a hand while straightening jambs.

I use them both as levels and straight edges.

Kirk

Comment

I have the complete (size) range of Type-80 Stabila levels, all in this padded case:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a54...ryingcases.jpg

Highly recommended. Great investment.

Cheers, Wm.

Comment

I just purchased the Stabila 5 Level Set (catalog # 59196), it includes a large case to keep all the levels protected & conveniently stored together.
                            http://www.stabila.com/res/pdfs/59_complete.pdf

Bought it online from 7 Corners Hardware, great set - am very happy with Stabila.

For those who are constantly searching for a good source for online tools, I have found 7 Corners Hardware to have excellent customer service, a huge inventory selection - I am very pleased with the service they offer. The prices are decent, on par with most other online suppliers I have found thus far.

http://www.7corners.com/

Mike

Comment

I vote Stabila also. Over the years I've slowly been replacing all my levels with Stabila. I have a 48" Johnson that is 5 or 6 years old, and still dead on. Other than that all my levels are Stabila.
                              It seems clear that buying lottery tickets was not a good business plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X