Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

installing an attic ladder solo help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing an attic ladder solo help

I have to put in an alum. attic pull down ladder. I have done many but with helpers.

Is it possible to install one by myself? any tips? I usually install 2 1x4 accross opening and then the guy in the attic drops it in and then the outside guy removes the 1x and done.

thanks for any tips. if there are any

kreg
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Re: installing an attic ladder solo help

For what it's worth , I've always installed them alone. I remove the springs and 2 lower sections,total of 6 bolts, set the frame assembly with the upper section and panel,( the panel hangs down so you can work the complete opening off a ladder, reinstall the lower section, cut to fit, hook spring to arms and anchorpoint then pull down arm and reinstall bolt. Never liked the "mousetrap" condition with pulling down the complete unit balanced on 2 - 1/2" ledges.
    SteveC
    TJANJ
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

stevec,

thanks for the info, I will give it a shot. 1 quick questions are the springs had to hook back up?
      Kreg
      www.builtinking.com

Comment

Good question and good answer. I would never have thought of that, always had to have a helper.
        "We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are" -Talmud

Comment

The springs aren't bad.- I'm 6'3' 285 though ;) - Really they are not, just have the attaching bolt ready and stand on the stairs. The lift arms give you the leverage.
          SteveC
          TJANJ
          PS make sure you check ALL the bolts even the one's you didn't touch
          SteveC
          The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

Comment

I install them alone. It doesn't take alot of muscle as I'm 5'10" and weigh 155. I first install the casing on the unit while its on the floor. The casing will serve as the supports. I lay my nail gun on top of the ladder. I pick up the unit. Hoist it over my head. Take the first step up the ladder. Shove the unit into the hole making sure I don't push too hard and break the trim off. While holding the unit in the hole I climb onto the second step. I then hold the unit secure in the hole with one arm and my head. Reach down grab my gun and start shooting. Climb down, move ladder, open unit, put ladder back in place, install screw and shims. This is on an eight foot ceiling height. I usaully cut the legs before install since I've done this hundreds of times and know the length.
            This method works also on varying heights. Just usually can't precut the legs.

One note. Always check the rough opening before you attemp to install this way. Its no fun trying to get back down a ladder after hoisting one up for a ten foot ceinling in a garage. (don't ask me how I know)

Two note. Don't shoot near the corner if joist hangers were used (again, don't ask)

If you use this method you'll never do it the other way again. Much easier and faster.

Comment

Kreg,

I actually had bad springs on the last attic ladder I did so we had to take them off and reattach the new heavier springs they sent us. There was a trick the rep told me on the phone about installing them that made it ridiculously easy. You didn't even had to pretension them.

Now, I can't remember it! Sorry!
              Your source for:
              Decks • Deck Design • Porches • Railings • Pergolas in Bergen County New Jersey
              Remodeling and Home Improvements in Bergen County | EPA Approved Lead-Safe Contractor
              Techno Metal Post: Helical Foundation Piles in New Jersey
              Follow us on: Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Greg,

That's okay, its sorta like I have a girl that really want's to be with you, but I can't remember her phone #......LLOOLL

Thanks again everybody for info, I will post tommorrow with results.
                Kreg
                www.builtinking.com

Comment

I set the ladder across the opening in the attic fully assembled. Then I put 1x supports across the opening fastening where the casing will cover later. Then rotate the stairs while reaching through opening and drop inside. Check that it is level and spaced evening then go up inside via the regular crawl space opening and attach.

I have heard about adding 4 angle brackets to the top of the stair frame and then using them as temp holders which allows you to drop it in and then pull it open and fasten from below, but I have't tried that myself yet.

Kirk

Comment

Just got back in from doing the job. I ended up nailing on the trim and then putting in and nail the trim off.. then open and finish.

It took longer because I had to reframe the opening and move a ceiling light about 2' over. but charged extra. so it made for a nice sat and some bucks 300.00 to be exact. plus materials. now its raining and cold so I guess I will watch all the this old houses shows I have tivo'd this week.

thanks again for your advice.
                    Kreg
                    www.builtinking.com

Comment

Working...
                    X