roof jacks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roof jacks

Since I moved here to North Carolina from Los Angeles, I am getting calls to replace dryrot wood around 2nd story domers. I see roof jacks, but have never used them. Whats your advice on them... or is there another method, without renting a bucket.
    do you just nail them down and then pull the nails and fill the holes with roof patch?

thanks for your advice and help!

kreg
    Kreg
    www.builtinking.com
    youtube channel: builtinsbykreg
    if you do not have fun every day... why?
    get up.... get out there..... get going ! rocking all day long
    remember to give out 10 business cards a day !

Re: roof jacks

Oh' another export from the Golden State...

You can slide and nail them right under any fiberglass shingle and remove them without damage to the shingle. I have learned to carry a tube of silicone with me to fill in the nail hole if it looks suspect.

I rarely did anything up on roofs out in California, and now that I'm here in New York it seems like I'm up on one at least once a month.

Welcome to four seasons!
    PRAY FOR OBAMA.....Psalm 109:8
    http://www.cstonecarpentry.com/

Comment

tim,

thanks for the info, so you lift up a tab of shingle and nail underneath it... , in california I hardly ever removed my 28 foot extension ladder from my van. since I have been here for 45 days almost every job is 2nd story repair. looking forward to 4 season. I am enjoying the humidity here!

kreg
      Kreg
      www.builtinking.com

Comment

if you purchase some get the adjustable kind they work nice.

we use them along with lvl osha rated 10"x16' planks helps to keep you on the roof.

Comment

Definitely get the adjustable kind. You should also look for the kind where the nail holes are actually tear drop shaped holes and not angled slots. The ones with angled slots are sometimes difficult to slide up and unhook after you are done. You do lift the tab and nail underneath but you need to find the rafter to nail into, use 16d commons and put all three nails in it. After you remove the brackets, hammer the nail flush and use clear silicone over the nails. I use a 2 x 10 plank but if OSHA is around then you should check into all the requirements for the setup. You may need railings, saftey harnesses, etc. I have never used these things because of the area I live in is rural and the chances of OSHA showing up at one of my jobs is slim. I hope this helps you.

Aaron
          Aaron Keathley
          Keathley Building & Remodeling

Comment

Aaron,

these osha planks are just stamed osha I have never even seen an osha guy.. but the planks are great.. I got them from a place called bishop ladder in CT these things can span 14 feet and are very strong.. they don't break down as quickly as 2x10 fir.. they were about 60 bucks each..

Comment

You are going to probably find that any 3 tab type shingle that is more than 5 years old is going to be brittle here in NC. They seal down real well too. The older the shingle the more the problem. At about 10 years the shingle will just break off if you try to lift them far enough to nail under them. Blistering shingles seem to be the norm too.

A painter I know just nails a 2x4 down through the roof and then when he pulls it off he slips a small piece of flashing up under the shingles the holes are in and then uses clear silicone on the holes themselves.

Me, I stick to the inside of the house.

Comment

david thanks for the info. that was one of my first thoughts was to just nail a 2x4.

thanks for the info from all you other bros!
                Kreg
                www.builtinking.com

Comment

A trick I use is to wait until the morning when the roof is still cool, tap on the shingle lightly with your hammer to break the seal, then use a flat bar to gently pry up on the shingle.
                  http://www.ridgelineconstruct.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ridgel...6262115?v=wall

Comment

I've found cedar shingles are good for breaking the seal as well. Look for rafters too - they usually are fine if you can't find them but it's nice knowing you're not going anywhere. And nail your plank on - I know several blase roofers who've falled off when their planks tipped on them.

Comment

we usualy just nail the brackets right onto the shingles rather than lift the tabs high enough to drive 16s,then we put a peice of aluminum step flashing under the tab with a little tar to hold it in place.

tom d
                      Tom D.

more tools please.

Comment

Just an update on the roof jack job.. finally did the job today. the jacks worked fine and pluged the holes with caulk. not easy the first time stepping off the ladder onto a sloped roof onto the jack and back again... but I finally got used to it.

used a product called extera. comes in 1/2, 3/4 1... it is an mdf resin compltetly water proof, rot proof and bug proof. comes in sheets 4x8 about 42 bucks a sheet. i ripped it to 8 3/4 to reface the dormer that was rotted out.

the guy I did the work for sells cabinet supplies and sheet goods and he found about it. beats plastic and pine.
                        Kreg
                        www.builtinking.com

Comment

What does completely water proof mean? I thought the stuff had about a 5-year warranty. Did you have to seal the cuts? And congratulations on surviving the roof - you'll be investing in fall arrest next!

Comment

I did not seal the cuts, however the guy is going to have his house painted. I will find out more info from him about the product on friday.. All my info came from the homeowner who bought the product from the distributor. I will follow up.

thanks dancing dan!

p.s. I will not be investing in roof harness... I not going to do this type of repair much... I will leave it to the youngins..
                            Kreg
                            www.builtinking.com

Comment

if you do not have fun every day... why???????
                              NOOR

Comment

Working...
                              X