Average age of finish carpenters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average age of finish carpenters?

I am in business in general construction and do alot of trim work. Im in my 20s and was taught by guys much older than me. im not sure i even know any trim guys that are below 40. Always a struggle to find help trimming, it seems like no young people want to learn this trade. Im curious what is everyone's age or average age of trim carpenters they know? anyone have luck finding younger guys that want to learn?

join the crowd and take a look at the site. Several threads about the lack of help out there in any of the trades.

And in my opinion there are a lot of guys who would say they are trim carpenters but are only good at installing baseboards, maybe closet shelves, pretty basic stuff. Give them a tricky crown molding install, build a coffered beam ceiling, fireplace mantle, craftsman style casing, do a jack miter and they are lost. That is an entire different level of trim carpenter.

Which type are you looking for?

Comment

m beezo,

right now not looking for anyone specifically but im trying to plan for the future. the lack of skilled labor is going to affect my business strategy.

thanks

Comment

I would suggest that you look at it as a problem now. It takes several years to get a guy up and running before he is going to know how to do more than just baseboards. So you need to look at your skill set and figure out a way to pass those along to others. Are you a teacher or just a doer who expects everyone to come on trained and ready to go. Even if you find someone who is trained and ready to go are they trained to meet your expectations, can put out a product you are proud of, can put out a product in a timely manner that makes you money yet does not sacrifice quality.

someone taught you and you will probably need to do the same to someone else.

Comment

Fellows who do set doors & interior trim for me in apartments are less than thirty-five years, one is a woman. All Hispanic. Easy to see their task & skill-levels (pay?) for the crew of five. I'd reckon fellow spreading materials is less than two years on job.

Comment

I agree with Beezo. Train the workers you want. Look for a young person with a teachable spirit, then pour yourself into them.
            Answer their questions, give them opportunity and pay them as much as you can possibly pay them. Over the years I can count at least five fellows that worked for me that left and went in business. They're all doing well. I don't think it ever hurt my business.
            Many times if I were looking for work I was referred by one of my former employees or former employers. Life is more than making money. It's about relationships. Someone a long time ago said it pretty well "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". That principle was a sound one when first stated and still a good one today

Comment

Working...
            X