square foot price

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• square foot price

What is a good price for apt complex to install pressing doors, trim locksets and window trim, sq. ft wise

Oh boy, how many jobs have you completed?

Comment

We've done a fair amount. I've asked around some and most are saying 1.50 to 2.00 a sqft

Comment

What's a "pressing door"?

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lambert View Post
          What is a good price for apt complex to install pressing doors, trim locksets and window trim, sq. ft wise
          Don't do it. If a general contractor is asking you to give them a Price per Square Foot for providing finish carpentry either they are idiots and don't know what they are doing or they know exactly what they are doing and are setting you up for exploitation.

Tasks that are based on a Unit Cost CANNOT be estimated based on the square footage of a project. There is no correlation. For instance you can have two different 5000 sf projects where one has twice as many door as the the other, or twice as much trim to install.

If you look at this sketch of two hypothetical 1000 SF floor plans which one do you think costs more to execute? From a finish carpenter view point the lower plan has more trim. There is 408'-6" linear feet in Plan A and Plan B has 503'-9" linear feet. Plan B has 23% more trim! 23% More! It also has more doors. Plan A may have only 8 doors where Plan B might have 13 doors. That’s a difference of 62%. And to make the trim part of this estimate even more relationally detached from any kind of Square Foot estimating technique some rooms might have built up crown and others might have no crown at all. How can a SF estimate possibly cover all those contingencies?

J. Jerrald Hayes
          360Difference.com | ParadigmProjects.com
          Paradigm Building & Remodeling | StairScapes

Comment

Thanks Jerrald

Comment

Originally posted by Jerrald Hayes View Post
              <> If a general contractor is asking you to give them a Price per Square Foot for providing finish carpentry either they are idiots and don't know what they are doing or they know exactly what they are doing and are setting you up for exploitation.

Tasks that are based on a Unit Cost CANNOT be estimated based on the square footage of a project. There is no correlation. For instance you can have two different 5000 sf projects where one has twice as many door as the the other, or twice as much trim to install <>
              Not an idiot and know what I'm doing; promise. Our fundamentals include service to trade-contractors: make our projects attractive places to work. We pay fast.
              For contractors in a niche, like me building wood-frame apts, $$/sqft is language of doors & running trim carpentry. Don't believe contractors conspired to exploit trade contractors by "making" it so.

Comment

Originally posted by aptbldr View Post

Not an idiot and know what I'm doing; promise. Our fundamentals include service to trade-contractors: make our projects attractive places to work. We pay fast.
                For contractors in a niche, like me building wood-frame apts, $$/sqft is language of doors & running trim carpentry. Don't believe contractors conspired to exploit trade contractors by "making" it so.
                Not trying to be a ***** about this but I challenge you to explain why a trade contractor providing finish carpentry items should ever agree to SF pricing given the example of the problem I illustrated above.

Regardless of whether you are doing in knowingly or unknowingly asking a trade contractor that needs to calculated their Cost/Price based on Unit Cost pricing is exploiting their ignorance.

Lets say I use my Unit Cost driving methodology to price out a project price for you for based on the Project A plan above. Because you for whatever reason want me to submit the price as a price per SF I divide my package total of $10,000 by 1000 for the square footage and give you a SF number of $10 per SF. Then the next house you want me to finish for you is Project B. You then take that $10 per SF price I gave you and ask me to do that project for $10,000 too when it is really 23%—50%± more. That is the problem.
                J. Jerrald Hayes

Comment

Well, Jerrald, you're assuming a lot about a lot of people.

Comment

Originally posted by aptbldr View Post
                    Well, Jerrald, you're assuming a lot about a lot of people.
                    This really has nothing todo with assumptions about people at all which is why I said "Not trying to be a ***** about this". This does have everything to do with math and logic. I'll also add if you as a general contractor doing apartment construction unless you are doing the exact same model over and over again, if you are using square foot prices for trade contractor work in your estimates you will have some projects where you estimated their work too high and others where you estimated their work too low.
                    J. Jerrald Hayes

Comment

Jerrald, I think we've debated this before. I agree with you that a subcontractor cannot blindly bid a job using sq ft method. However, if they are doing somewhat repetitive type work, whether it is trim, frame, paint, etc, and you have dozens if not hundreds of similar type jobs you don't necessarily have to count every door, stick of baseboard, wall, etc. I know a lot of very experienced contractors who do very well working this way. Also, quoting a job by the sq ft does not necessarily someone has bid the job that way.
                      ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Comment

I do not price jobs out by the square foot but will estimate kitchens and bathrooms by the sq ft

Gary

Comment

I had a job a couple years ago, 20 or so, where the architect wanted me to give a SF price on triming some high end condos. I had a nice sit down with him and the building owner and explained why I wouldn't bid that way. I gave them a price figured my way, NOT by the SF. Wasn't even close to the lowest bid. Whatever I said must've struck a cord because not only did I get that job but I did trim work in their various buildings for many years thereafter.

Any time someone insists on a SF price, period, I throw out a price that virtually guarantees that I will make $, and a lot of it. Of course, most of those jobs I don't get, thankfully, but the ones I did were lucrative. Still not sure working for that type of person is worth the extra $. Reasonable people get reasonable pricing and everyone comes away happy. Of course, I'm neither young nor hungry anymore. I can afford to be more choosy.

Comment

Well put Wabeeman. And welcome to the forum.

Comment

I understand the sq. ft. price method. I worked 12 years for a commercial builder where we did many multifamily jobs. Square ft. pricing was common.
                              In my own business I never quoted square ft. prices. Whenever a customer would ask me "how much do you charge per sq. ft. my standard answer was "I can answer that if you can answer how much do you pay for a bag of groceries? Basically the bags are the same size, it's what goes in the bag that determines the final price. Now, if someone wanted to tell me what they were willing to pay pert sq. ft. I was willing to tell them "what I would put in the bag" for what they were willing to pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X