installing quarter round

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing quarter round

I seem to remember reading about someone who had a jig or contraption for installing quarter round. It was some sort of set up that used a drill bit or hole saw to cut a hole in the quarter round so it fit over the next piece instead of having to cope it. Am I dreaming this up or does this ring a bell with anyone?

Here you go Beez...

Comment

That is exactly what I remember, probably the same article. Thanks Steve.

Now I wonder if anyone has tried it besides that guy. I may experiment with it and see.

Comment

That's genius. I wonder if the idea could be adapted for other moldings as well.

Comment

I think it is called a copemaster....
          I actually was wondering if it would work on shoe base which I install more of. But I am guessing because it is 1/2 wide by 3/4 tall it might not work although I don't know why I am thinking that. I thought it might have to do with the different sizes.

Comment

Shoe would work the same just use a 1" bit instead of 1 1/2".

Comment

Originally posted by tomthetoolman40 View Post
              That's genius. I wonder if the idea could be adapted for other moldings as well.

Only if you have a hole saw of the same shape as the molding :)

As stated, the idea is based on the simple geometry. 3/4" quarter-round and 1-1/2" hole saw are the same radius. So it will work on other size quarter-rounds, but not much else. A hole saw cannot cut any shape other than a circle (or part of one). Maybe an ellipse if you cut at an angle, but I haven't seen any elliptical section moldings.

Comment

Jigs are big time savers but not this time. A coping saw makes quick accurate work without lugging around a drill, hole saw and block of wood.

Comment

I am with Gary. Coping quarter round is not difficult. I think that they just reinvented the wheel. Plus, coping is a skill that everyone should have, and shoe and quarter round is a great way to learn it.

Comment

If your running base shoe a set of these shears is a must.

Comment

Working...
                    X