Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Bendable handrail...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendable handrail...

Going to bend a gentle curved handrail tomorrow
    Be the second one I have done, last one was twenty three years ago
    Any tips advice will be appreciated
    Thanks

Is it: Wood? Metal? Plastic? Interior? Exterior?

Gonna just bend it over your knee? Laminate? Going Old School with steam? Kerfs? :)

Comment

Let see this is finish carpentry forum
      So it would be wood and interior
      sliced 6310 Bending Handrail

Comment

Plenty of clamps, at least two-per-foot, plastic resin glue, shrink-wrap, firm uprights, extra length and a little over-bend Helper. Only gentle curves with uniform unit rise/run. Self -confidence. lLeave it in the form over-night or longer
        Last edited by Baldwin; 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Went good
          Dry run first
          Aligned to the outside of wall
          large L brackets
          titebond three
          will remove clamps thursday or friday

Comment

Cool. I did not know you could buy pre sliced railing.

Comment

I'm curious what carpenters use for their go to glue when gluing up laminates with a bend. I know plastic resin will resist flex and doesn't grab like yellow glue. Never used Titebond 3, original and 2 has always did good for my needs.
              Gary

Comment

I'm in a hot/dry climate here in Reno and glue ups are a challenge with regular titebond. I've gone as far as misting the wood and using extra glue to prevent dry joints. I have used the moderately slow setting vieneer cold press glue from titebond with good results (about like normal titebond in a less dry climate) on unbent joints but it doesn't have the strength of other glues (2,500 psi vs 3,800ish). The next bent lamination that requires a great deal of messing with, I'll special order some of the extended titebond or just use a polyurethane.

Comment

Working...
                X