Bug and Defect Report Email Address

NOTICE: Thank you for your continued patience with the persistent bugs affecting the JLC Online Forums. We've setup a special email address for reporting issues and defects. Reports will go directly to the assigned IT team members. Please include screenshots if you can. There were some widespread issues over the past weekend which have been resolved. However, we know that various error pop-ups are still occurring during post composition and at other times. Thanks again. Here's the email address:
See more
See less

Windows for a lake home

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows for a lake home

I'm starting construction on a new home right on the beautiful shores of Lake Erie.

When deciding on windows with clients, we tend to install more Andersen and Pella windows because of their cost effectiveness when compared to a higher end brand like Marvin.

Marvin with its extruded aluminum frame are more expensive and clients would rather save 25% of window cost and use that money elsewhere. However, this extruded aluminum is "so much better" than "roll form" aluminum. I'm wondering if building professionals agree.

I know Marvin's Integrity line and Andersen's are a fiberglass exterior. Pella is the roll form aluminum and Marvin is the extruded aluminum.

Anyone who builds waterfront with some cold winters, high winds, and lots of driving rain, please chime in and let me know your experiences.

Re: Windows for a lake home

Have you talked to some local experienced contractors? Local sources might be better.

I have used the A-seris Andersen in a number of waterfront homes with the same weather conditions as you describe. I would be hesitant to use anything else. I also highly recommend the Smartsun glass option. Same goes for the doors. These homes were supposed to have a traditional/historical look to them and most people agree that that the A-series met that objective.

More information on the details:
        your role in the process
        experience building in this location
        final responsibility of design/performance of project

This is not a really good place to get this information, advice from here has no liability.

When you are comparing exterior cladding/finish what are your concerns?
        wind resistance?