Bug and Defect Report Email Address

NOTICE: Thank you for your continued patience with the persistent bugs affecting the JLC Online Forums. We've setup a special email address for reporting issues and defects. Reports will go directly to the assigned IT team members. Please include screenshots if you can. There were some widespread issues over the past weekend which have been resolved. However, we know that various error pop-ups are still occurring during post composition and at other times. Thanks again. Here's the email address:
See more
See less

Glass block window

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass block window

Hi all.
    Working on a 90's manufactured home we're flipping. All the windows except one have been replaced with vinyl windows. This one is above the shower in a bathroom.

The r/o is only 36" wide x 7 3/4" tall, so can't get a vinyl to fit. The roof trusses are right above and the top of the shower enclosure is right below, so I can't change the height of the opening. It has been suggested I install glass block, which I haven't done before.

1) Are there other options and if so what are they?

2) I'm ok with installing glass block but info online is scarce and I can find nothing to detail proper flashing, installation, and trim out interior or exterior in a wood framed wall. I want to make sure there are no leaks int./ext. and subbing it out isn't an option due to budget. Where can I go to get this info?

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Re: Glass block window

1. Yes, the best option is to get rid of any windows in a shower. We do that quite often.

2. You use a buck. If the existing window is vinyl there is probably a buck in there already. If the existing window is wood, remove the sash and use the existing window frame (jambs) as a buck. Assuming the existing was properly flashed, no further flashing is needed. The glass blocks go in the buck with either mortar or silicone. Trim as needed.

Talk to a local glass block installer, they have seen it all and they can do the whole thing cheaper than you. At least around here they do.

I would consider setting some tempered glass, fixed, in the opening.
      Build a frame from something moisture resistant, Swamstone maybe over PT framing.

Flash it inside and out like a block frame window.

Wow! Yes I would say that's a bargain! If he's reliable with good references I would say jump on that deal a.s.a.p. Don't pay until all work is completed with satisfaction.

The glass block per window will cost around $40.00
        The glass block mortar 1 bag runs $16.00