Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

    Checked out a house today. Lots of questionable (to be kind) work. But the specific issue I was asked to look at was the stucco.

    It looks like they applied some sort of finish paint/whatever coat directly to the brown coat instead of a color coat. Maybe it was elastomeric paint at one time, but it seems more like a cement/paint blend.

    Anyone seen this before?
    kevin
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

  • #2
    Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

    That is elastomeric paint, looks like the finish coat is flaking off with the paint. The "lath" looks like chain link fencing? Probably just a horrible stucco job all the way around.
    ============================================

    Twitter

    Houzz

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

      Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
      That is elastomeric paint, looks like the finish coat is flaking off with the paint. The "lath" looks like chain link fencing? Probably just a horrible stucco job all the way around.
      The hardware cloth in that third pic is simply stuffed in a hole to keep the critters out, that's not the stucco wire. (Not that you aren't right about it being a poor job...)

      Does elastomeric paint generally have texture in it? This stuff seemed to have sand/cement impregnated in it.
      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

        I would call Frank, he is the stucco man.
        Tell him I suggested you call him.
        www.train2rebuild.com
        Twitter

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

          Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
          I would call Frank, he is the stucco man.
          Tell him I suggested you call him.
          I wasn't sure if I should call my stucco guy or my painter. But I'll definitely send Frank an e-mail with pics. Thanks, Bill.
          “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

            Originally posted by kfc510 View Post

            Does elastomeric paint generally have texture in it? This stuff seemed to have sand/cement impregnated in it.
            It does appear that way; and it does when added to the coating. Whether it's an elastomeric or acrylic coating is hard to tell from here - either could have a sand texture as purchased, or added. First check would be film thickness with the latter being around 3-4 mils and the former 12-17 mils. Is the damage localized or is there more widespread blistering/film cracking in evidence?
            “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
            ~ Meriwether Lewis

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

              Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
              It does appear that way; and it does when added to the coating. Whether it's an elastomeric or acrylic coating is hard to tell from here - either could have a sand texture as purchased, or added. First check would be film thickness with the latter being around 3-4 mils and the former 12-17 mils. Is the damage localized or is there more widespread blistering/film cracking in evidence?
              The stuff that's flaking off is approx 1/32" thick. As far as I can tell it's thicker than paint, but thinner than a 3rd/color coat of stucco.

              There are dozens of failing spots. On at least two sides of the home it's pretty clear this coating was applied over the entire wall. On a third side it almost looks like paint without the sand/cement/texture directly over the brown coat, and that side is holding up better (also a protected side, tho').

              The work was done by the homeowners "handy" father a couple decades ago.
              Last edited by kfc510; 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM.
              “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                Originally posted by kfc510 View Post
                I wasn't sure if I should call my stucco guy or my painter. But I'll definitely send Frank an e-mail with pics. Thanks, Bill.
                And please let us know what he has to say about it.
                www.train2rebuild.com
                Twitter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                  Originally posted by Bill Robinson View Post
                  And please let us know what he has to say about it.
                  Roger, wilco.
                  “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                    Originally posted by kfc510 View Post
                    The stuff that's flaking off is approx 1/32" thick. As far as I can tell it's thicker than paint, but thinner than a 3rd/color coat of stucco.

                    ... a couple decades ago.
                    Possible multiple coating applications by handy dad and prior occupants handy dad? Films don't last forever, and once they do start to crack and blister they can allow more moisture behind, rinse and repeat. At that age that would be most suspect followed by structural 'change.'
                    “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
                    ~ Meriwether Lewis

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                      Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
                      Possible multiple coating applications by handy dad and prior occupants handy dad? Films don't last forever, and once they do start to crack and blister they can allow more moisture behind, rinse and repeat. At that age that would be most suspect followed by structural 'change.'
                      Anything's possible... The stuff that has peeled away doesn't appear to me like multiple coats, just one thick coat with some of the brown coat adhered to its backside.

                      Overall the base layers are in surprisingly good condition. A few cracks here and there, but no more than any other stucco job.

                      Based on what the HO had described I expected to see large chunks coming loose, or the typical hollow/loose situation when the sheathing has rotted away and the stucco has become load-bearing. But it seems pretty sound overall, just with this weird skin condition.

                      I wonder, if we scraped it down to the brown coat what the best way to proceed would be.
                      “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                        Originally posted by kfc510 View Post

                        I wonder, if we scraped it down to the brown coat what the best way to proceed would be.
                        The whole or just the spots?
                        “I find the curiosity of our men with respect to this animal is pretty much satisfied.”
                        ~ Meriwether Lewis

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                          Yeah, elastomeric, the main brand used arouing here was Tex-cote, sold by Sears and other siding/insulation con-men. Here I'm sandblasting it off the Moraga Catholic church. 86680f744063deea42bd7e19ef88bf19.jpgfba5c0efaaad1352c35d7b039ec5e6a4.jpg574a9105b2f985473487d526537a8de1.jpg

                          As every other crooked company around they have joined the Green Crowd, the stuff works on a surface barrier building, but on a membrane drainage wall structure it's always a failure, trapping moisture in the walls until it starts pealing off. In most cases I recommend tearing all stucco off the building, in the church above there were large concrete walls that were covered with it and all right, so I spent a small fortune sandblasting it off.
                          You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                            Dick Seibert; with it and all right, so I spent a small fortune sandblasting it off.

                            I, I, I, I, I.

                            Did I tell you what I did?
                            www.train2rebuild.com
                            Twitter

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Failing paint(?) over brown coat(?) of stucco

                              Originally posted by MarkMc View Post
                              The whole or just the spots?
                              It seems like if you started scraping "the spots" you'd be left with brown coat for the majority of "the whole". On the two sides where it's really doing its thing, anyway. Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic(/optimistic) about the adhesion of the rest of the plane, though.

                              I guess I need advice about both procedures- what to do over the brown coat if only discrete 18" x 30" patches are stripped down, and/or what to do with the entire surface if it is stripped to the brown coat.
                              “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X