Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Smart Side, or ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Side, or ?

I usually hang out in the finish carpentry forum. I am planning a new home build for myself and my family,and I need some advise.

I am planning on installing a wood type siding on about half of the home. I was thinking Hardie brand products, but recently I was told that the Lp Smartside is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John

Re: Smart Side, or ?

With both products, the differences are more in the moisture details, as both can have problems if they are flashed incorrectly.
    I prefer Hardie in places where there are termites and or carpenter ants, but smart side and smart panel are easier to work with.

Comment

LP Smart Side is your best option. No worries about termites, the product is treated with chemicals and resins that make it moisture and bug resistant. Make sure to seal all cuts ends, keep your gaps consistent at 3/16th and flash correctly. You will have no problems. Also, follow the nailing schedule and use a good quality full head nail.
      Chuck Kiser
      Knollwood Construction Company
      Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
      Kitchen Remodeling Chicago
      Bathroom Remodeling Chicago
      Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        I usually hang out in the finish carpentry forum. I am planning a new home build for myself and my family,and I need some advise.

I am planning on installing a wood type siding on about half of the home. I was thinking Hardie brand products, but recently I was told that the Lp Smartside is the way to go.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

John
        John,

We made the switch to Smart Side a couple of years ago. We inform any clients (presale or custom) that this is our preference. One had us stick with Hardi and the others have agreed to SS.

We feel that this product looks better and will perform very well as long as it is installed correctly. We have found that it is imperative to leave about 1/4" gap at butt ends, we have had these joints open when we install and then sqeeze closed. It is really amazing how dry this product is when it comes out, so while it seems like the gaps are huge at install, they close up.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1016647...2215/Calistoga
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1016647...542215/Seabeck
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1016647...90542215/Lot33
        https://picasaweb.google.com/1016647...42215/LongLake
        www.Pioneerbuildersonline.com
        http://instagram.com/awesomeframers
        http://www.youtube.com/user/Raftercutter

Comment

Any danger of wildfire in your area? How close will the new house be to other houses?

Comment

John

I installed the fiber cement for years, no one could talk me out of it. A few years ago I had a couple of problems on my own home with a moisture related failure of the product at a roof-line despite the application meeting or exceeding the installation details of the manufacturer..I researched the SmartSide to death. it is now my material of choice. For the corners use the OSB trim material not the fiber trim. I have seen failures of their fiber trim.

I do consulting on all sorts of material failures; failure being, not performing up to the standards of acceptability, in this definition. You are in Utah so it will not have the same exposure to the elements as we have in our area. Even so you will be impressed at the performance. Follow the directions at a minimum.
            Mark Parlee
            BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
            EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
            EDI Seminar Instructor
            Level one thermographer (Snell)
            www.thebuildingconsultant.com
            You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Parlee View Post
              I researched the SmartSide to death. it is now my material of choice. For the corners use the OSB trim material not the fiber trim. I have seen failures of their fiber trim.
              Mark, are you saying LP makes a fiber cement trim?

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
                Not speaking for Mark but... LP does not make a fiber cement product. They offer two types of materials for exterior applications. One looks,and is, a OSB product. That is to say flaked compressed wood product. The other is a fiber based product, for lack of a better term, sawdust. Both products use the same resins and chemicals to protect against moisture and bugs. The difference is in the embossed pattern. The OSB based product is limited to how much depth of pattern can be pressed into the product. The fiber product yields itself to a much more realistic wood grain. For maximum benefit avoid miters, use butt joints and a good quality exterior glue, add biscuits or pocket screws. Always predrill prior to nailing in end grain. With proper installation the product will perform as advertised. They have a excellent warranty as well.

For more details give me a ring. I'm a certified installer and trainer on this product.
                Chuck Kiser
                Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
                Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

Originally posted by charles View Post
                  Charles
                  What Chuck said
                  I however do not like the fiber product. It does swell at the ends just as all of the others do. It is tough to get the perfect seal at the ends of a corner where the moisture flows over the bottom of the corner through surface tension. We have sealed these ends up using some very good sealer but the ends invariably swell over time. I have reviewed no problems as of yet of the OSB corners and fascias.
                  Mark Parlee
                  EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
                  EDI Seminar Instructor
                  You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

I am going to have to look at the websites for some more info on the product. I have a guy who is talking about doing some vinyl siding on his house. Said wanted the fiber cement but was put off by the pricing and the dust. Not sure if he knows about this product.

Got a basic idea of where it stands in the pack concerning cost. For him I would think it would be fiber cement, vinyl siding and Smart Side. General idea is all I would wonder about because if he says FC is too much no need to look into SS if it is more than FC.

Comment

Beez

He is too cheap. Sell him the vinyl.
                      The materials in the job between SS and FC are pretty close. The labor is much the same as well. Both are more that vinyl.
                      Some people come into this with such predetermination you have a tough time educating them; price is the only thing that matters. They are the ones that would send their wife off to get a budget boob job, remember this analogy from a couple years back?
                      Mark Parlee
                      EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

Hey Mark laast time I priced it FC it was cheaper than the LP- I was surprised. I still use FC b/c of the fire issues. Thanks to your help everything I have installed is performing perfectly. Hope all is well with you Mark. ;)
                        “Racism is man's gravest threat to man - the maximum of hatred for a minimum of reason.”
                        Abraham J. Heschel (Jewish theologian and philosopher, 1907-1972)

Comment

All is well

Just had a knee scoped Tuesday and worked all day Wednesday, that old leg injury is getting to me.
                          Posted the picture to remind you.

The Hardie was good for a long time but I have moved on for now.
                          Sure is nice to have sawdust and not have to be so careful with the gun pressure.
                          The sharp edge on the HZ5 panel really pushed me, The eased edge sure is a lot nicer.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by Mark Parlee; 05-03-2012, 01:03 AM.
                          Mark Parlee
                          EDI Seminar Instructor

Comment

A few more details about LP that benefit the installers. Longer pieces in LP means fewer joints on most homes. Weight is much less with LP. At the end of the day the guys are not quite so beat up. Flexibility of the LP products makes it easier to handle without breaking. Solo installation is easy with proper siding clips. Solo Sider is one that comes to mind. IIRC
                            Chuck Kiser
                            Palos Park, IL 60464

Knollwood Construction
                            Building Repairs Chicago

Comment

Is all the LP siding the fiber, masonite-looking stuff, or do they have an OSB siding still?

I know the original OSB siding from way back had to be removed from houses and replaced, apparently people didn't like mushrooms growing out of their siding...then supposedly they came up with a better version.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't install a fiber material siding or trim. Same as fingerjoint, the physical properties of the material are just asking for problems.

Educate me if I'm wrong!
                              Doug

Favorite tool this week: Makita double-battery "worm drive" framing saw
                              http://www.jlconline.com/author/doug-horgan

www.bowa.com

Comment

Working...
                              X