Anderson door repair help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson door repair help.

I need to repair some Anderson sliding doors. Door were maunfactured in 1993 and have been delaminating along the bottoms. Doors are out of warranty and Andersons only solution is to replace all the sections, which is quite expensive. I figured someone has run into this problen before and may have some ideas.

Re: Anderson door repair help.

Technically, it never pays to replace sections versus replacing the complete door assembly. By the time you change them out, adjust reveals, adjust again, etc, you can yank'em out and replace it completely!
    Take Care

Jim

Comment

If I'm replacing it will not be Anderson. Their customer service has been terriable. I have gotten very little help from them. I'v attempted contacting their local rep through my supplier and have had no success. As far as I'm concerned these shouldn't have done this.

Comment

Andersen sucks, at least that my view after having just installed three of thier sliders. I suspect these doors will do the same thing, they are not sealed completly on the bottom. I agree with James just replace the entire set up and be done with it

Lou

Comment

Let's vent on Anderson, another company getting by on extensive upscale marketing. I have never liked their product, labor intensive, and poor quality control, hit and miss atttention to detail.
          RMc____

Comment

Originally posted by outdoorsnow
            If I'm replacing it will not be Anderson. Their customer service has been terriable. I have gotten very little help from them. I'v attempted contacting their local rep through my supplier and have had no success. As far as I'm concerned these shouldn't have done this.
            A new client of mine has 17yr old Andersen windows. One of their windows had fogged up. I was able to call Andersen, gave them the info they needed, and recieved a new window with-in five business days. I think the problem your getting from them is that the doors are older than 20 yrs and are not under warranty any longer.

Looks like the best way to go is to replace the whole unit, like Jim mentioned

Comment

There is no doubt the doors are out of warranty (by 4 years). I believe this is excessive deteriation. The facing is a paper product on the exterior. I have 6 pannels doing this samething. Andersons staff seens to take personal offence when I call to question why these are doing this. You'd think I'm attacking their mother. I can't believe a large company like Anderson would ever use this type of exterior coating.

Comment

Let's not let this deteriorate into a bashing exercise.
                What have you done to get a rep to look at them?

If you can't get someone to look at them I am sure we can take care of that.

Bill R
                www.train2rebuild.com
                Twitter

Comment

Glass : 20 years

All other parts: 10 years

http://www.andersenwindows.com/servl...&ssbinary=true
                  Chuck

Comment

That's just it, the age of the doors and the materials in vogue at the time are now having age problems. I have some Andersen doors from 95 which are in fine shape, and I have clients with older units also. Although rare to deteriorate, the units exceeded their warranty period by 10 years as it is!

Climate, useage, exposure...all create a different situation.

I do tend to think just from your posts you think Andersen should cut you some slack and replace these??? I don't see that happening. But also keep in mind you are dealing with someone sitting in front of a computer...they read the answers and what they say you don't like.

Understand this..as long as the replacement sashes or doors are not free, as in this case, it pays to replace them with current stock with better window glazing, such as low-e 2 argon, etc.

By the way, although I still use Andersen depending on the project, I tend to order Marvin Integrity series for a lot of work!!
                    Last edited by James Eggert; 06-01-2007, 08:43 AM.
                    Take Care

Jim

Comment

I've attempted to get a rep to look at these doors by calling Anderson directly four different times. I've also left notes with my local supplies to have the rep contact me when he is in town. He has contacted me but refused to take a look at them since they were out of warranty.
                      Does anyone have any repair techniques, or materials they have used to succesfuly repair such a problem. It appears my only option may be to replace them.

Comment

here are couple more pic's

Comment

A few clarifying questions ods:

Are these yours?

Why do you think the doors should have a warranty beyond the one initially provided?

What else are you not telling us?

Bill R
                          www.train2rebuild.com
                          Twitter

Comment

I agree with Bill this one smells like HO all over it. However for the quality and price I mave fallen in love with Simonton and Marvin great stull

Snow go buy new quality doors you'll sleep better at night
                            JASON

"The measure of success is how high you bounce after you hit bottom"

George S. Patton

www.jmsbuildersandremodelers.com
                            (shameless plug for the google bots)

Comment

I am a homeowner not a renter, and I hope many of you are the same. Expecially if your a contractor. I am also a Contractor. Imagine that a contractor who works on their own home. I believe that my home says alot about the quality of work I provide. These are my personal doors. I take great pride in maintaining and improving my home. Everyone seems to get on the HO's. I don't believe these doors should be under warranty. People keep posting Andersons warranty which I am and have been quite aware of. If you would read my initial post you would see I was looking for any one experiencing the same problem, or have repaired a similar problem. There may be some products or materials I haven't used or heard about. I was simply using this forum to gain any type of knowledge. If anyone seens to think I am missleading or not telling the entire story I would like to hear from you. I do not appologize for being a homeowner. We've all seen the roofer who can't roof their own home and the general who can't finish a personal project.
                              Thanks,
                              (I'd rather be) Outdoors now

Comment

Working...
                              X