Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

PVC column wraps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC column wraps

It has been years since anyone has asked for me to wrap their posts on their deck. Since I last did one companies have developed systems to basically unfold a precut and routed piece that wraps around a column to save you having to make you own like I used to do. Which by the way I was never really pleased with.

I need column wraps that will be 8 ft long for 6x6 posts. Wondering what some of you have used and your thoughts on the pros and cons of the products. Mostly I see white but also wondering is anyone makes them in other colors.

We do this and I had a thread a while ago dealing with the posts. The wraps are simple and no issues. We use Azek. The posts are the bigger problem. You need to make sure they don't warp, twist, etc. That's just not possible long term with the solid posts available in my area. Long story short, we developed a technique to fabricate our own hollow posts because we can't buy good ones locally.

Comment

I thought I remembered a thread about posts but I did not remember the post wraps being mentioned. I thought it was about laminated posts.

So what is your technique that you use to make a hollow posts that won't warp or twist. I am interested since some of the worst lumber that I often see is the 2x 6 and the 2x 4 around here. Plus wonder what the cost is to fabricate your own posts

Comment

The technique is pretty simple in concept. We use ground contact 1x or 5/4 material (the best available to us), let it dry, rip it to final size and screw it together. Throw out the warped ones. We fill the buried part of it with PU foam or similar and provide drainage for water that ends up inside the post. We make the posts to a size that leaves room between the post and wrap for drainage and ventilation.

Comment

I use solid 6 x 6 or 8 x 8 posts with rarely an issue. Also on the 6 x 6 posts I sometimes use a vinyl fluted wrap that comes 10' long and snaps together around the post. Vinyl is preferred on coastal properties.

Comment

Thanks DG.
            I am a little surprised by your method. I cannot find much good stuff here in 1x material. 5/4 seems much better but here it is always a deck board.

What are you using to hold them together? I cannot imagine a nail would be enough, some form of screws?

TWhite, I have looked only briefly at the vinyl wraps. Most familiar with Versatex. Have you tried others and seen pros and cons in what you are using.

Comment

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
              5/4 seems much better but here it is always a deck board.
              So use a deck board, as long as it's ground contact rated. Some are.

Originally posted by m beezo View Post
              What are you using to hold them together? I cannot imagine a nail would be enough, some form of screws?
              Stainless screws, #7 or 8.

Comment

I have used the vinyl "Snap & Wraps" for almost 14 years and never had any issues. The precut ones work ok also but the vinyl is best IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X