Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Estimating Metal Stud Framing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Estimating Metal Stud Framing

I am a wood framer and I've been ask to quote a metal stud job. I can wing it, but I thought I'd ask the pro's about estimating numbers.
    I have interior and exterior walls. 3 5/8" and 6". Walls 11' and 14' +/-. All non-load bearing.

I'm figuring:
    1 bottom track per lineal foot of wall with 10% waste. (LF X 1.10)
    One 3/4" power activated fastener per lineal foot of wall times .75.
    1 stud per lineal foot of wall times .83.
    4.4 pan head screws per lineal foot of wall times .83.
    1 top track per lineal foot of wall with 10% waste.
    One 3/4" power activated fastener per lineal foot of wall times .75.

How am I doing so far?

Do I need lateral bracing in my 11' and/or 14' walls?
    If so how many runs should I figure and how should I specify it on my materials list? (What is the proper term/name for in wall horizontal bracing?)

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Sincerely,
    Michael Davis, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Re: Estimating Metal Stud Framing

I'd figure one stud/foot to account for corners, doubles at doors, etc.- just like in wood framing. If you go x 0.83, you'll end up short. I've never gotten that crazy with counting screws and PAF's, but I'd get rid of the multipliers on them too- you'll have additional PAF's at openings, plus you'll have mis-fires (so you should probably add 10% rather than subtracting), and the same goes for screws- I can imagine losing 10% just to dropped screws.

WRT lateral bracing, that depends on the stud guage that you're using for the interiors, and the wind loading for the exteriors. In some places you can use the ceilings to provide some lateral resistance, while other jurisdications won't allow that. Typically I've seen 20 ga studs used up to 12' without lateral braces assuming there's a ceiling at 8' or 9', but the exteriors are likely to be driven by windload. Have the stud guages been decided and reviewed by an engineer?

Comment

Yes, the plans call for all 20 gauge metal studs.

Comment

Originally posted by MDavis0735 View Post
        1 bottom track per lineal foot of wall with 10% waste. (LF X 1.10)
        1 top track per lineal foot of wall with 10% waste.
        That might've been a typo? Track's 10 ft long, so it should be (LF x 0.110).
        Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

I did one metal framing job and hated it. Double your labor time that your used to with wood framing. I'd compare metal framing if your not fully set up for it, when your a wood framer, to framing with hammers and handsaws. If your guys aren't real handy with a screwgun, triple your time. Metal is nothing like wood other than you put pieces with similar names in similar spots. I wouldn't do metal again.
          Rob
          O'Brien and Sons Construction
          Swansboro NC

Comment

Originally posted by frenchie View Post
            That might've been a typo? Track's 10 ft long, so it should be (LF x 0.110).
            No, the 1.10 is 1 ft of track per running foot of wall plus 10% waste. I add track for window and door heads and window sills as well.

Comment

Originally posted by O'BrienConstruction View Post
              I did one metal framing job and hated it. Double your labor time that your used to with wood framing. I'd compare metal framing if your not fully set up for it, when your a wood framer, to framing with hammers and handsaws. If your guys aren't real handy with a screwgun, triple your time. Metal is nothing like wood other than you put pieces with similar names in similar spots. I wouldn't do metal again.
              I hear ya, but we're so damned hungry over here, we'd probably do the dry wall too if they ask us. :^(

Comment

No, the 1.10 is 1 ft of track per running foot of wall plus 10% waste. I add track for window and door heads and window sills as well.
                Ah - 1 ft of track. Okay, then. Sounded like you meant 1pc of track.
                Francois

Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

Comment

I hear ya, but we're so damned hungry over here, we'd probably do the dry wall too if they ask us. :^(
                  I understand completely. We roofed some of our framing jobs at the beginning of the year to stay busy. Things have picked up now though and we're doing good. Hope things pick up for you.
                  Rob
                  O'Brien and Sons Construction
                  Swansboro NC

Comment

ok, i need help to bid out steel stud walls for two rooms, with steel framed doors, rooms will be aprx. 12x12, there is exsisting grid, might have to relocate 2x4 lightinng-not a problem, how do i charge or bid--i am doing this all myself, i know how to do it but dont know how to bid thank you for any kind of info. dave

Comment

Price up your materials, figure out how long it'll take you to do the work and multiply by your hourly/daily rate, and add a markup for overhead and profit. Not sure what else you were hoping to get as an answer.

Comment

Knowinghow to do it can be hard to convert into ho long it will take to do it. I suggest you use the number of days you think it will take and then follow Bob's advice.
                        Sometimes the only obstacle to "yes" is just giving a price; not "THE" price but "A" price that covers your costs and makes you some money.
                        Good luck.

Comment

estimate 1 stud and 2' of track per LF. add 10% for waste. add a buck or two per LF for fasteners. Figure all wall heights at one height, if the tallest walls are 11' figure them all that way otherwise you will go nuts. Estimate the labor for 2 men. Metal framing can be put up with 1 guy but moves much faster w/ 2 men. if done properly it should move much faster than wood. Put up all the top track first, its easier and faster that way. Then you could fly.

Comment

Originally posted by snowshoe1dave View Post
                            ok, i need help to bid out steel stud walls for two rooms, with steel framed doors, rooms will be aprx. 12x12, there is exsisting grid, might have to relocate 2x4 lightinng-not a problem, how do i charge or bid--i am doing this all myself, i know how to do it but dont know how to bid thank you for any kind of info. dave
                            I can give you an exact bid. First, I need some info from you.

How long will this take you to do the work?

Comment

Where is davek, I thought he does fit up work, he would know.
                              When you've got them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                              X