How Much do Remodelers Make?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Much do Remodelers Make?

Findings from the recently released Remodelers’ Cost of Doing Business Study: 2017 Edition show that the net profit margin for the typical residential remodeler increased to 5.3% in 2015, up from 3.0% in 2011.

Combining all sources, remodelers reported an average $1.8 million in revenue for 2015, of which $1.3 million (71.1%) went to pay for cost of sales items such as labor, material and subs. Subtracting these costs from revenue left a gross profit of roughly $500,000 – or 28.9% of revenue.

Remodelers also spent an average of $420,000 in operating expenses (e.g. general and administrative expenses, marketing and finance expenses), thus ending fiscal 2015 with $95,000 in net profit: a 5.3% net profit margin.

NAHB economist Rose Quint provides more analysis in this Eye on Housing blog post.

Originally posted by aptbldr View Post
    Findings from the recently released Remodelers’ Cost of Doing Business Study: 2017 Edition show that the net profit margin for the typical residential remodeler increased to 5.3% in 2015, up from 3.0% in 2011.

Combining all sources, remodelers reported an average $1.8 million in revenue for 2015, of which $1.3 million (71.1%) went to pay for cost of sales items such as labor, material and subs. Subtracting these costs from revenue left a gross profit of roughly $500,000 – or 28.9% of revenue.

Remodelers also spent an average of $420,000 in operating expenses (e.g. general and administrative expenses, marketing and finance expenses), thus ending fiscal 2015 with $95,000 in net profit: a 5.3% net profit margin.

NAHB economist Rose Quint provides more analysis in this Eye on Housing blog post.
    My company consistently nets a minimum 10% profit. I don't take any jobs where the correct markup to achieve that net profit is not applied. This profit is after ALL business expenses plus owners salary has been paid.

Comment

The NAHB has been doing these "studies" since the 70's (maybe earlier) for home builders. I have been paying attention to them since 1980, in total they are a good read on what builders make. They get financials from about 300-400 builders each year and tally the results, I've participated and sent in my financials. They break builders down into various categories, small, medium, large, custom, spec, with/without land, etc. I think they just started doing this same type of study for remodelers. What I've learned is a gross or net profit margin per job is a lot different than what it is on an annualized basis on total sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
        The NAHB has been doing these "studies" since the 70's (maybe earlier) for home builders. I have been paying attention to them since 1980, in total they are a good read on what builders make. They get financials from about 300-400 builders each year and tally the results, I've participated and sent in my financials. They break builders down into various categories, small, medium, large, custom, spec, with/without land, etc. I think they just started doing this same type of study for remodelers. What I've learned is a gross or net profit margin per job is a lot different than what it is on an annualized basis on total sales.
        Well, thats not true for us. Ive found that this is the beauty of using a simple markup system. I set our markup, stick to our budget and at the end of the year I have a nice 10% net profit sitting in the bank, every year.

Comment

Working...
        X