Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Remodeling statistics

Bob-
    Does JLC or do you know of another source that has real statistics on home remodeling? I'm working on a business plan and want to evaluate and include info on home remodeling trends and dollars spent over the last decade or so. I'm having trouble finding it. Any help would be aprreciated. Thanks.
    Sue

Re: Home Remodeling statistics

Sue-

Have you looked at the Cost vs. Value report in Remodeling magazine? If you aren't familiar with it, it's published yearly, and gives average costs for about 20 different types of projects, and the resale value of the work. It also usually goes over some trends in the industry. Search Remodeling's website for industry statistics as well- you may find some info there.

There's another source that publishes data on remodeling as well, but darned if I can remember who it is. I'll keep thinking.

What in particular are you looking to find out?

Bob

Comment

I'll check that out. I'm hoping to find stats like Average dollars spent on remodeling per household, numbers on how many homeowners remodeled or even some state or regional information. Just some information that I can gauge the market with.

Sue

Comment

I used to have that info- I'll try and dig up the source- I'm sure it would just be a matter of then hitting the website for an updated version.

Where are you located, Sue?

Bob

Comment

Try also www.nahb.org

They track all sorts of construction issues.

Jim

Comment

Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard Univer

Comment

That's the site I was looking for!!! Leave it to my MIA pal Jerry to pull one out for the team...

Bob

Comment

Sue-

At the JCHS site, there's a publication from Sept 2001 called "Remodeling Spending in Major Metropolitian Areas". It looks like exactly what you need.

Bob

Comment

Thanks Bob.
                  I'm in the Chicago suburbs.

Sue

Comment

Here is the exact link.http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/media/rai/rai_02_3.htm

Comment

better yet let me put a s[ace there. http://www.jchs.harvard.edu/media/rai/rai_02_3.htm

Comment

Here is another interesting article that may shed some light to the business paln.

http://www.housingzone.com/news.asp?layout=story&gid=310000431&cid=110005011& did=47KX-VS00-0093-V3X4-00000-00

Good luck with the plan!

Comment

Working...
                        X