Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

L-metal tolerance around existing door frames

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• L-metal tolerance around existing door frames

Hi, I'm a gc just finishing a first floor eichler remodel in which we have installed offset L-metal around the existing door frames in lieu of casing.

My customer has looked at the L-metal and complained about it being uneven. We reviewed and have redone the L-metal at eight locations. Now the client would like us to do even more.

Since the frames are existing and out of plumb, what is a fair tolerance for the off-set between the L-metal and doorframe?

Thank you for your comments.

Dale

Re: L-metal tolerance around existing door frames

I have never heard of any listed tolerances.

I have seen others try what you are describing and they all seem to have the same problem. The end result never looks real good. For wood trim such as casing I allow only about 1/16" to 3/32"

Comment

Re: L-metal tolerance around existing door frames

L-metal is the *ultra low end* alternative to casing. I'm in a position to refuse using it - but not everyone is so lucky.

Since the existing frames are out of plumb - It would be almost impossible to specify a tolerance.

Perhaps you could look at a apartment remodel elsewhere.

-r

Comment

Working...
      X