favorite utility knives?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• favorite utility knives?

Which utility knife does everyone prefer? Does your choice change if retractble vs non-retractable enters into the equation? I'm still trying to find an excellent retractable. One that holds a blade firmly, allows for easy blade changes, and will hold up on the job site.

Re: favorite utility knives?

Forget retractables - a sure sign of an amature. They will never be as stiff as a single shot. Why do you think marine snipers shoot arab terrorists over 1 mile away with bolt action rifles and not semi-autos?

Get one that has the "tool free" blade changer.

-r

Comment

I have an ancient fixed blade Stanley that works great.

Comment

I use the stanley quick change knife, because I find if the knife is sharp you don't have to pull so hard and need so stiff a knife. I can change a blade in 5 seconds without tools and extras are stored in the handle. I know the fixed single blade and a sharpening stone was the way of the past, but I am thinking of trying one of the new heavy duty snap blades from Fastcap. As I am almost always just using the tip, it seems like it would be a good way to go.

I will let you know.

Kirk

Comment

http://media.doitbest.com/products/344885.gif

A retractable knife that locks (will not slip) the blade in any of five positions.

Comment

I remember the old farts sharpening their blades. I never went for that crap. I don't know why you would take the time to use a retractable, it's slower and not as stiff. A blade lasts me all day. I break the tip off when it gets a little dull then have another run. I can change the blade in (.... fast ) with a tool less changer.

kirk, your right about a sharp blade, the blade does the cutting for you.

I'm too old and opinionated to change from proven old technology to disproved old technology.

I did buy one of those EZ-Rips that someone here (maybe me??) was ripping. On the few cuts I've used it on it worked great - for bonus pts my helper cut his finger fooling with it :)

Comment

I use whichever knife I can find, sometimes I have to buy another cheapo. I have a little stone in my right pocket, and I am one of those old farts who sharpens it a little every few cuts.

Comment

RcikA,

Which brand/model knife do you use? Am I to understand it is a fixed(non-retractable) knife that you can change blades without a screwdriver?

I have always been leary of a fixed blade, as I didn't want to cut up my pouch sheath. I have cut my chisel pouches because I keep them very sharp, so I always went with a retractable on the utility knife. Also, sometimes I hold the knife in my hand while I adjust or test something and I don't want to cut me or my helper.

Kirk

Comment

I use a cheep stanely retractable. And I too break the tip off when it dulls.

I know that pros in general ignore safety issues (how many nailers have you seen with a bypassed safety). But I retract the blade after every cut. It is a reflex, it takes zero seconds! The blade dosen't slip unless I hit the button.

I want a quick change knife but don't like the bulk of the ones out there now.

Mike.

Comment

For years I used a Stanley retractable with no problems.......until I lost it.
                    A workmate gave me his ( didnt like it, he prefered those "snap off" things that give me the willies )
                    Trouble was it had the nasty habit of retracting when I didnt want it to. So went with an old fixed blade.........very nice. Made a holder for it to go on the tool belt out of a cut down sealant tube. cant cut the pouch, always handy.

Comment

I like the husky or ryobi cartridge knives - they're not great for everything because the blade is small, but for applications that dull the blade quickly its been great. The cartridges hold about 32 blades.

I tried the snap off knives a while back but they seem to slip and are flimsy. I recently bought a stanley (fat max?) quick change retractable and its been the best knife I used in a long time, doesn't jamb up and is very solid with a decent blade change system that works well.

I used to use the "suicide" knives, but after cutting myself and my puches too many times I decided enough was enough!

Steve

Comment

There is only one kind of toothbrush that is the best for youre teeth (ask your dentist) we all have the same teeth.yet there are many different kida of toothbrushes on hte market It's all marketing.
                        They can bend a new ergonometric design in a knife every week & they are still just 85 % useless crap. Like the ones with a light or worse yet a laser light on the end. If you need a light on the end of you knife you should have gone home,or better yet retired along time ago
                        If you have to spend more than $5.00 you better think twice.
                        I like a stanley retrctable. I can change a blade in less the 45 seconds with a 16 D nail less than 30 with a phillips SD.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

I'll pay a dollar more and be able to change a blade in three seconds with no tools.

I won't use a .99 Stanley because if the screw loosens the knife blades that are stored in the handle protrude and cut your hands.

Kirk

Comment

I picked up a half dozen fixed blade knives from Grabber about 6 months ago. It has a large twist handle that opens it and a magnet that holds the blade in place while you close it. Best knife I've ever owned. I gave one to all my guys and thye all love them too.

Comment

Warner tool makes a nice knife that has a fixed blade. It is also a drywall rasp. I just ordered some from Warehouse Bay Corp. They sell for 6.79. www.warnertool.com or www.warehousebay.com

Comment

Working...
                              X