Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

One Coat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Coat

I have just been on two projects where the drywall guy used what he calls a " one coat" system. This appears to be a base called Kal- Core, with a skim coat of lime(?) finish. Both project showed fine cracks within days of installation. I have been told by another drywall man that one coat is for the birds and that a two coat system is the way to go. Any reaction to this?

Re: One Coat

Explain the system - this seems to me like a veneer plaster job? You mean to tell me that they coat the seams with one coat; how? Sprayed, rolled, by hand...please give details as I've never heard of this.

Comment

Yes, I believe that is what it is. It is hand/trowel applied, just like what I would consider to be the final coat on a true plaster system, but without the scratch coat.

Comment

Intriguing! Whoever comes up with this type of system stands to make some money.

Comment

I still don't quite understand. How can it be cheaper if it's hand troweled? I can run a ames box 10x faster thru a house (with one leg tied behind my behind) than the fastest hand jobber - and I've yet to see a hand taper who does quality work. ( I've heard lots of stories about great hand jobbers, don't doubt it, just never met one - and I've seen plenty of bad jobs by the hand job guys).

PROFORM SURFACER/PRIMER primes and does the skim coat in one shot, but I thought we allready talked about that.

PROFORM

Comment

There is a difference between a plaster job and a drywall job. You are comparing apples and oranges.

What is being described is a veener plaster job instead of lath and plaster, or button board and plaster. Plaster creates a harder "shell" on the wall. This technique has been around for a while, but they are constantly improving the products.

This system allows a faster plaster finish and without all the moisture that the standard thicker systems intoduce into a house.

Kirk

Comment

Thanks Kirk. It must be 3 times more per foot than conventional drywall. I know the high end crowd likes the plaster look.

rick

Comment

Working...
              X