Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Soot Damage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soot Damage

I have a customer with some serious fireplace soot damage to a painted sheetrock wall. He has asked me to clean and repaint the wall. What is the best product to clean the wall? And, should I use a stain blocker before repainting?

Thanks.

Roy

Re: Soot Damage

Tsp and BIN by Zinsser. It's an white pigmented shellac that the painters use on fire jobs and seals very well. Swan

Comment

Make sure it is the shellac based Bin. I don't think the 123 will cover it all. It may, it does cover a lot. Whenever I have old stains and some mastics, I need the shellac. There are three types of Bin.

Anybody else care to confirm?

Kirk

Comment

I have used the oil-base Kilz with good results before but a big key to the process is wiping down the walls with TSP (trisodium phosphate) solution prior to applying the Kilz. Good luck

Comment

I just completed a fire restoration in an apartment building we own. I agree with Kevin on using Kilz after washing down the walls with TSP.

We did 2 coats of Kilz and have no problems with any odors.

GS Wilke

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will try your suggestions.

Comment

Working...
            X