Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

paper vs. fiberglass tape

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm jumping in here because it's an old thread (14 years!) and I do recall those days here.

I'm a green cap and paper tape guy. Sometimes I'll add a 50% mix of Durabond 90 to my green cap for the first coat. Speeds things up a bit.
    Gary

Comment

Just removed 13 ft of a bearing wall, put in a flush beam. Took out another wall between LR / DR -- taped all with this. I think its pretty good. Lit says stronger than paper.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_460606-76765...t=drywall+tape ft

I didn't get a chance to read the lit fully. I first embedded in 45 min - pulled tight and let dry.
      Last edited by Happy Home; 02-06-2016, 01:41 PM.
      Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

Steve I've read good things about it, especially repair work. There's a 36" wide version. I'm from the school "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I'm not about to change my methods now, especially when I have a very good track record with paper tape, straight flex, applied with either green cap and/or durabond 90 mix.
        Gary

Comment

My dw finishing skills are good + I'd say but I'll take any advantage I can. Hi build primer, thinnest tape ---- Fiba Fuse is the thinnest I've used. Had 4-5 butts on the ceiling for this job. Came out great. Remodeling, I just don't do well with paper. Mostly TE and new work I use paper and for remod corners, bath, kitchen.

The Fiba Fuse has a good crease and did ic real well. It will tear with the edge of the dw knife cleanly also.
          Last edited by Happy Home; 02-06-2016, 09:19 PM.
          Steve

"Get three coffins ready" - A Fistful of Dollars 1964

http://youtu.be/KZ_7br_3y54

Comment

Every drywall professional I've seen lately has transitioned to mesh tape. Saves a ton of time on the application. They tape everything and then mix the mud. The paper stuff is the opposite and if you don't apply it correctly, you get the air bubbles which then have to be cut out and redone. Inside corners are definitely easier with paper as it folds nicely and I keep a roll in my trailer for that specific purpose. However, I use mesh tape on inside corners exclusively in damp and wet environments since it doesn't rot.

Mark S.

Comment

Also been using fiberglass, and I seen so far that by using it, it does not give me any problems.

Comment

Working...
              X