Bad Dry wall Job??? What to do??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Dry wall Job??? What to do??

We purchased a brand new home about 9 months ago. I have noticed tons of cracks and nails popping through dry wall, etc. Can I get some advise as our builder keeps assuring me that it is just normal settling however it looks to be a little more than that to me. This is only a few pictures...i could spend all night uploading images. every corner in our home is cracking or rippling....to many screws to count are popping out in the ceiling and walls. Any insight would be great!

couple of things come to mind. Some of it could be caused by settling. Some of it can be fixed with a little care.

Also please define tons....I ask because after 30 years in this business I have heard how a house is going to fall down because of some of the issues you are pointing out. Most folks once they begin to look for faults will find more than they like whether it be in the work done by others, their kid's school, or their family. Not trying to minimize the issues but it is often human nature to look for the bad once you see a few issues.

Lastly, you mention a builder. I would suspect that there may be a warranty. Make sure the problems are addressed by him before your warranty runs out.

Comment

It can take up to a year for settling to stop. How long was the framing allowed to dry before drywall was installed? The less drying time, the more drywall problems will occur as the lumber shrinks as it cures. He's assured you that it's normal, and that sounds reasonable. Did he say when they would come back to do the repairs?

Comment

Brand new, meaning from the ground up ? Some of the pictures look like it's a renovation of an existing home. Can you clarify ?

Comment

This is brand new home. Home was completed May of 2016 and we moved in the following month.

Comment

By tons I mean pretty much every corner in the entire house is cracked or rippled! Many corners you can stick your finger straight through it!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Home View Post
              ...Some of the pictures look like it's a renovation of an existing home...
              No kidding. Ok, I won't be as PC as Steve. That looks like really shoddy work all around. Looking at the 3d picture with the window, the drywall finish is sloppier than anything I've ever seen in a new house. Unless it's intentionally meant to look like rough plaster or some kind of rustic look. Never mind the pops and cracks, the mud isn't smooth for crying out loud. If the whole house looks like that I'd say you basically have a lemon.

Comment

Let me guess ? This is not in a sub division with other new houses ?

It's an infill house on a lot....bank owned possibly, partially built, finished by someone who does this for a hobby ? Where did you get on to this house from ?

Comment

This house is in a subdivision with other homes. These homes were phase 2 of 3. And no this was done by a builder who owns a business and builds tons of homes in our area

Comment

I think you have enough to talk to your state Attorney General.

Or call your TV news station.

Comment

So, if the builder has built many other houses close by what has their track record been for addressing callbacks/warranty issues ? Are your neighbors experiencing the same issues ?
                      I spent twelve years working for a production/tract builder in every position from carpenter to superintendent to in charge of all warranty work. We averaged 100-150 homes a year. A possible scenario is this. At any one time we could have 4 or 5 framing crews working plus our own in house crew. No matter how hard I tried or how diligent I was I could not get the quality of the worst crew to match the quality of the best crew. It could be the same situation on your home with the drywall sub, or maybe the superintendent wasn't experienced enough to know or communicate the quality of work expected.
                      I would continue to document the shoddy work, send photos to the builder office, attn: the owner and reiterate your expectations based on the contract you have with them. In my opinion it's too early to contact anyone with the intent of forcing an action. At this point you don't know how they will respond. They may do an outstanding job, they may not, but as long as you document the work you have a good chance of prevailing should push come to shove.

Comment

Done in May. Temporary heat with propane?

Comment

I think you should go ahead and spend all night uploading images.
                          I suspect you have/had a drying problem not a settling problem.
                          I'm not a fan of the stucco look.

Comment

I think a good suggestion is to check with the neighbors and others in the subdivision. See it they have similar issues and if so have they been addressed satisfactorily.

Comment

Working...
                            X