Pricing and time estimate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricing and time estimate

My husband took on a big drywall job for his experience. He typically has only done small drywall repair jobs and also drywalled our addition (which he completely built himself) and he does a great job. Anyway, either he is very slow or he way underbid the job. The job was 3300 sq ft of wall space of a house the owner is flipping to make a rental property. So I would say it has your average amount of cutting and no high ceilings. How long should it take to hang and finish this amount of drywall. He is going to have about 140 hours into it and has a guy that has helped him about 80 of those 140 hours. After he pays his help he will only profit $1600 which is only roughly $11/hr which is horrible. So either he just way underbid it or he needs way more practice at speed. What would you charge for this?
    Last edited by Hollister84; 01-21-2017, 08:46 AM.

3300 sq. ft. is about 75 -4x8x12 boards. I would expect a drywall sub to be done in about 6 to 8 days depending on the weather.

Comment

It was about 120 4x8 sheets which he picked up and delivered but owner paid for them. How many people would you say would be on a crew to complete it in 6-8 days. 8 hour days? What would you expect to pay a sub?

Comment

I have a guy that works for me part time that is a professional taper. He tell me of doing the first coat entire house in a 10 hour day .But that is all he does and he has all the tools. Works off stilts, has the banjos and corner flushes, boxes for joints, spotters for nail heads.

Most of the time he can have the entire job done including sanding in the time it would take me to do the first 2 coats. maybe coat and a half.

A couple of other things that make him faster is he works very hard, once his stilts go on he usually never comes off them until all the high work is done. I have seen him go around the house and put a bottle of water on the top of the lower sash of a double hung window, He gets a little thirsty he can grab the water and get a drink or add some water to his pan of mud if needs to. The stilts save a huge amount of time especially on the first coat just because he is not moving ladders around.He can go from one end of the room to the other in one or two long passes instead of every 4 feet having to start and stop. He has several sets and can do a 10 and maybe a 12 ft ceiling off of them.

Maybe a little slow but a whole lot of it depends on how the walls were hung, how cut up it was, and how fast he is. Simply doing the same job over and over for years is the only way to really improve your time on this work is my opinion.

Comment

I couldn't tell you how much I would charge but I can tell you I wouldn't do that job with less than 4 workers, 5 would be ideal. Drywall is much too competitive and if you're not fast you're not going to make much money.
          Gary

Comment

Not to be argumentative but a 3300 sq ft of wall space is not a big drywall job..

Subs in this area charge by the square foot and that includes waste.
            There is a going rate for material (delivered by boom truck and carried in), hanging, finishing, priming and painting. With some add on for corners, height etc.

If you contracted to hang and finish, then picking up and delivering drywall is not generally part of the job.

While I commend the effort, as they say, if you practice doing something wrong, you get good at doing it wrong. In order to be a competitive worker in the drywall business, you need to be like the man beezo describes above. You need to work around and with other pros to learn those skills.

Around here, drywall is the most competitive trade there is. The bigger players don’t have employees do the work and instead have a bunch of “independent contractors” they shop each job to. And they break out the hanging, finishing and painting aspects too. Your suppliers can usually give you a good idea what the latest sq ft rates are.

Comment

120 sheets - 2 hangers working hard should finish in 2 days - and the taping should be 2-3 finishers - 3- 4 days max - 8 hrs shifts

Im guessing his wasted a lot of man hours picking up drywall from home depot and delivering and stocking them instead of spending $100,00 - 200,00 more and just have a supplier stock them.:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
              X