Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dense-shield vs Concrete board

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dense-shield vs Concrete board

    What would be best for shower walls (F/G pan) ? Have heard most of the +'s and -"s and still am not sure the best way to fly. Face peeling off D/S, water wicking up C/B. ??????
    SteveC
    The improbable takes time, the impossible takes a little longer.

  • #2
    Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

    I like hardibacker screwed to the studs with a waterproof membrane over it.
    Geoff

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

      Steve,

      Hardibacker 1/2" also has my vote. I would also do a roll-on barrier as Geoff had mentioned. Seems to be one of the better products out there.
      Chuck

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

        any of them installed correctly work. Your right they all have +/-s. I like sheet membranes installed on them.That way I can skip tape ect. and dont have to mess with tring to get the fabric into the liquid...

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

          Originally posted by inkster View Post
          I like sheet membranes installed on them.That way I can skip tape ect. and dont have to mess with tring to get the fabric into the liquid...
          Laticrete HydroBan does not require fabric at all.

          dg

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

            Properly installed Denshield with Kerdi Band on the seams and corners would be my vote. Just keep it off the pan by 1/4 inch as instructed and seal with Kerdi-Fix or your favorite poly caulk and to to town.

            Denshield is so much easier to work with than cement board. Seal the cut edges at the openings with Kerdi-Fix too.

            Properly installing Denshield means shimming the walls or notching the studs to the Denshield flows into the pan smoothly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

              Wow, just kerdi the walls over any substrate, drywall or CBU and be done with it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                Since you are going to be having to put up some kind of board anyway before Kerdi, my thinking is if the board is an effective water barrier (Denshield) why not use it an skip the step of the Kerdi? I am only talking about walls here. You still have to seam the joints and corners, so I feel more confident using Kerdi band here, rather than alkali resistant mesh tape and thin-set.

                I would even go one step further and spot the screw holes with Redguard or other similar product rather than the Silicone caulk as recommended by Denshield. Quicker dry times, less fumes and ability to bond to thin-st is my reasoning.

                On the floor use any standard Kerdi approach that works, Shower Kit, mortar bed, etc.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                  Am I the only one who thinks the schluter system isn't the best?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                    Originally posted by Kgphoto View Post
                    Properly installed Denshield with Kerdi Band on the seams and corners would be my vote. Just keep it off the pan by 1/4 inch as instructed and seal with Kerdi-Fix or your favorite poly caulk and to to town.

                    Denshield is so much easier to work with than cement board. Seal the cut edges at the openings with Kerdi-Fix too.

                    Properly installing Denshield means shimming the walls or notching the studs to the Denshield flows into the pan smoothly.

                    Just curious what are you doing to back the denshield where it goes over the pan. Obviously you can't screw it, are you packing mortar up there when you do your bed..or something else?
                    "You couldn't do it and they didn't help.."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                      Originally posted by Taylord Home Improvements View Post
                      Am I the only one who thinks the schluter system isn't the best?
                      Care to elaborate??
                      Bailer Hill Construction, Inc. - Friday Harbor, WA
                      Website - Facebook

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                        Yes ,I think it ISN'T the best!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                          If it were my shower, I'd use the Kerdi Shower system from Schluter Systems. It is the least labor intensive means to do a shower. When done properly, it will stand up just as well as any other system. It also eliminates a lot of potential for mold growth.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                            Originally posted by inkster View Post
                            Yes ,I think it ISN'T the best!
                            Care to elaborate further?
                            Francois


                            Truth is just one man's explanation for what he thinks he understands. (Walter Mosley)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Dense-shield vs Concrete board

                              Originally posted by Taylord Home Improvements View Post
                              Am I the only one who thinks the schluter system isn't the best?
                              What do you think IS the best? (I would genuinely like to know.)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X