Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

concrete polished floors

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• concrete polished floors

I have been asked to do some work in a space that will have polished concrete floors. The work I have been asked to do includes installing new doors, painting about 12,000 sq ft of wall, 12,000 sq ft drywall installation. My thought was to do as much of the work before the floors were polished with the grinding machines. They say that the floors are almost impossible to damage once the grinding and polishing gets done but I do have my doubts.

Looking for insights into things like can I safely push a drywall cart loaded with drywall around in there, use scaffolds on wheels to install and paint walls, how easily can a dropped screw that gets stepped on or hit with the tire of a scaffold damage the floor.

In my experience, the best thing to do is cover the floors with Ram board or something like that, Create a path to travel and stay off the floors as much as possible if you are worried about damaging them. When painting, paper the floors. Preventative measures like that are cheap insurance.

Drywall carts have soft(ish) rubber wheels and should be no issue at all. Scaffolding wheels are similar. If you are unfortunate enough to catch a screw, it will probably drag along and I don't imagine it wouldn't scratch the concrete. Drywall screws are hardened metal. Brittle but tough.

Mark S.

Comment

What sort of dust/volume results with concrete finishing?

Comment

If you are not the general, then make them protect it. If you cover new concrete you gotta do it right because it can create marks in the concrete that will freak you and the client out. First hand knowledge speaking here.

I would think if they're grinding it, then rock on, no worries.. other than letting a spill soak in.

Comment

I see some sort of polished concrete here in some of our big box stores and it seems to hold up to carts, spills, lots of feet,.pallets being moved on it. Not sure exactly if they are treated or something but I just wonder if the sequence should have been all the work possible be done before the floors are finished.

Comment

Well, it seems like a great idea, but you need to make sure whether it worked best or not on the concrete floors.

Comment

on the subject of protecting floors I have had the best experience with using multiple 4x8 sheets of hardboard and slightly overlap them them so my scaffold wheels would roll "off" the sheet I am leaving. I only needed to protect the area near the walls when doing drywall finishing in a large space.
              When spray painting in a confined area I used Gorilla Tape to cover the butt joined hardboard sheets.

Hardboard is relatively light weight and easy to handle. Unlike paper, drop cloth (or, heaven forbid, plastic sheet which I have seen used) it is safe and easy to walk on and provides serious protection.
              TSOrganize
              www.TSOproducts.com
              Transport Store Organize

Comment

Floor wax, isn't it the solution.?

Comment

Working...
                X