Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Apple Watch? Anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Watch? Anyone?

I just realized that I have yet to see *anyone* wearing an Apple Watch. I've been travelling a bit more lately... if this thing was selling at all you'd think there would be people in airports and airplanes, especially in frequent flier lounges and the like- flaunting their shiny new Apple Watch. Yet - I have literally never seen a human wearing an Apple Watch. To me, it's useless since I don't wear a wrist watch and have no desire to start - plus my iPhone (which does the same things only with a bigger screen) is always in my shirt pocket. I'm thinking it's one of those "solutions looking for a problem."

Some of the "tech magazines" are saying sales are 90% behind their predictions, and I'd say that's about right (based on my airport experience).

Anyone buy one? If so -thoughts about it? Is it just that it doesn't yet do enough? If not - what could they possibly add to it to make it more appealing?

JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Re: Apple Watch? Anyone?

I have only seen one person wear a smart watch, it was a college IT grad at his graduation party and the watch wasn't Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by jstoddard View Post
      To me, it's useless since I don't wear a wrist watch and have no desire to start - plus my iPhone (which does the same things only with a bigger screen) is always in my shirt pocket.
      Same here, what does an Apple Watch do that an iPhone doesn't do on a larger screen? Likewise, I find myself not using my iPad very much either for same reason.
      ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
        Same here, what does an Apple Watch do that an iPhone doesn't do on a larger screen? Likewise, I find myself not using my iPad very much either for same reason.
        Haha, what does an iPad do that a laptop doesn't do on a larger screen? I thought you were a big fan of iPads when they came out.

Comment

Originally posted by dgbldr View Post
          Haha, what does an iPad do that a laptop doesn't do on a larger screen? I thought you were a big fan of iPads when they came out.
          Well of course a laptop has a hard drive. But everything I use know is cloud based. iPhones have gotten larger, and unless you are watching videos I don't see the need for an iPad.
          ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Comment

The iPads in our house haven't been touched since we all upgraded to iPhone 6+'s.

As for the watch, I've now seen two, both owned by Apple fan boys. Of note they were both the cheapest model.

Comment

I saw my first one today, my longtime watchmaker's son is an Apple developer of some kind, he sold his programs to Apple several years ago making his fortune, bought his parents a new Mercedes, went to Hong Kong and got married, he then bought his parents a new town home in Cupertino and his parents moved there and are raising his now three children, he sold his business but kept two of us as customers, I was there this morning to pick up some watches and I about fell over seeing an iWatch on his wrist, I exclaimed: "How could a guy who has spent his life working on fine timepieces wear an Apple watch?" He just laughed and said his son gave it to him and tried to demonstrate it but said that you have to have an iPhone to make it work, he could show me the time on it though, he held it up to his mouth and said if he had an iPhone he could talk into it. It has a white band that doesn't look like it fits on his wrist right though.
              You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

My Fist Spotting of an App-L Watch.
                I don't know if this counts because my original post was about people randomly walking around with their Apple Watch.

Charlie Rose is wearing one. At night on PBS and during is CBS Morning show he can be observed fiddling with his watch

The PBS version (at least) has a white band and looks... well... more like something I'd expect on "I Am Cait"

White band aside, it looks silly on a 70 yr old commentator - "Hey I'm a with-it techie".

There was a speaker at the SMA conference who ran around wearing his Google Glass and had taken the name "Mr.Website" or something similar. Honestly, it looked ridiculous. A gimmick. I love useful technology but I hate gimmicks. And I think heads-up displays have legs, but not as something you'll have on your face 24/7 any time soon.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

I wouldn't put an Apple watch in the same category as a Google Glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe
                    I love useful technology but I hate gimmicks. And I think heads-up displays have legs, but not as something you'll have on your face 24/7 any time soon.
                    Makes one think they've run out of ideas.
                    You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

Generally, the "press" has been putting them in the same category - dubbed "wearables". Obviously a broad category, and a heads-up display is not exactly the same as a watch, but you do wear them both. Both are wearables. And both display data from other sources. And both run "apps" of one sort or another. - So I'm A-OK with putting them in the same category. Wearables.

JLS

Joe Stoddard

Comment

Definitely wearables. Like toe rings. White? I'm thinking John Travolta and disco era, but I guess Dick might say Liberace :)

Comment

I see that the watch is going to be sold at Best Buy.

Comment

Working...
                          X