Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need suggestions for Project management / scheduling software

Hello all,

I've just signed onto a project combining the rehab of an old school into 3 higher-end condos, and the construction of a single family home, and a detached garage on the same site.

It's been a few years since I've needed to flow-chart a project, having used MS Project in the past, so before mapping-out this new job, I'm wondering if anything has come along that's better suited to residential construction.

I don't plan to go deep into the features of a complex program, so simple / basic is ok, while of course being easy to learn and inexpensive.

I've heard that an Excel spreadsheet can be set up as a flow chart, but haven't yet found a construction-specific template.

Ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul Leone
    RVC Inc.
    Merrimac, MA

Re: Need suggestions for Project management / scheduling software

Paul:

The 2 solutions I see the most are Builder Trend and Co-Construct, although there are others. I use Builder Trend. But for what you are describing you might want to check out Virtual Boss, it is less expensive, easier to use, and in somewhat of an Excel platform.

http://www.virtualboss.net/
    ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Allan,

Thanks for your reply. I was not aware of any of the programs you suggested, and after checking-out all 3, I'm going to take a closer look at BT and Co-construct. Virtual Boss seems as though it could work, but now that I've seen the others, either might be better suited to my operation. For my new project there will be constant collaboration between architect, owners, and myself - all very busy people who might appreciate the organization such programs could hopefully deliver. Ok - on to the demos!

Paul Leone
      RVC Inc.
      Merrimac, MA

Comment

Paul if you need any help with the energy codes, let me know. We are well established in the area.
        "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

Paul - also take a look at smartsheets.com Its really a great value - free is under 10 sheets or something like that, very similar to msproject and excell, but with several cloud advantages.

If your going to go "all in" and look at buildertrend and co-construct, also take a look at Buildtools.com. All three are excellent, but with subtle differences. For example, with Co-Construct you can not see multiple jobs at the same time (for resource management). Both buildertrend and buildtools have QB tie-ins. Good Luck.
          Jef Forward
          www.planforward.net

Comment

as an alternative I can recommend to use software solutions from wrike dot com. they have all neccessary features to meet all your requirements with minimum efforts involved.

Comment

Yes Excel spreadsheet can be set up as flow chart.
              Excel template will give you a standard format for gathering and documenting project requirements, with a focus on software and other technology projects.But it is difficult to find Excel spreadsheet for specific project.Get project template may help you in this case.

Comment

We use Latitude to manage our projects. It has various modules for project planning, tracking and billing. It records time, monitors clients and projects, breaks down tasks, creates gantt charts, and generates quotes, reports and invoices. You can request the vendor to customize Latitude features according to your needs.

Comment

Jef
                  I could be wrong but last I knew a free SmartSheet account only gets you ONE sheet. Not really enough to do anything but check it out.

10 sheets is $15/mo. I think SmartSheet is a cool product - but I disagree with them on their pricing model. I'd be more excited if they took every tier and bumped it up one notch (more sheets for the money)... or started at a lower price point. I was talking to them for a while about some construction-specific apps for JLC-sized builders but what I wanted was 10 sheets for $9.99/mo or even $4.99 so we had room to sell the templates on top of the basic service. Remember there's nothing fleshed out - whatever you use SmartSheet for you have to build so it's not an out of the box solution for anything. And as MS keeps adding database-like functionality to Excel it won't be long B4 SmartSheet winds up being irrelevant unless they step it up. Constellation sells an app called HomeDev that is essentially what a full-blown SmartSheet type app would look like. It's not cheap but then neither is trying to build/test/train something totally from scratch.

I'd also like to see a MUCH more robust template gallery - I've looked at most of the templates they have available and while they will all potentially save you some time - I haven't found any that could be used for much without a lot of tweaking. A true "template store" where you buy or lease protected version(s) of completely fleshed out, complete templates (like the mobile framework Canvas for example) would be a big value-add. Canvas has gone out of its way to make some really good apps available - much better than anything a typical person could hack together for iOS or Android mobile devices without a LOT of programming training. They're not free - but they're not expensive either.

All that said (good and bad) - if you haven't looked at SmartSheet for a few versions - give it another look.

JLS
                  =====================================
                  ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
                  Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
                  Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
                  ====================================

Comment

For anyone that still might be coming across this post like me (even though it is a few years old to say the least), I use Fieldwire scheduling software and I'm really happy with it.

Comment

For this project, you will have a custom work breakdown structure . This should hopefully be tied into your takeoff structure. Once you have that, I don't think you can do any better than Microsoft Project. But is you want to use something cheaper and easier to understand and adapt to your own way of working, I'd use an excell spreadsheet. I use Excel for everything because I find that contractors understand them and can adapt them gradually to their own way of working avoiding the loss of time and money on dedicated software.

Comment

Filed service software will be a great choice. But as per your business needs and whats you are supposed to select a software. Browse in web, found Zoho, Apptivo and Salesforce has field service software.

Comment

I changed my mind.
                          Last edited by Jason Laws; 02-06-2016, 06:56 PM.
                          Jason Laws
                          Plain In Maine
                          Amity, Maine
                          plaininmaine.houzz.com

" ... I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock" (Matthew 7:24-25 KJV).

Comment

Working...
                          X