Tablet questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet questions

Can you lock a tablet so the user can only use what the admin installs? Subsequently, no one can add apps afterward? even free ones?

it would seem to me that whomever has the tablet could create their own android account and pay for added apps get free apps?

What am I missing?
    Take Care

Jim

Re: Tablet questions

You're not missing anything Jim. It's called BYO Device/ BYO Apps etc. and it's a growing issue - driving heavy-handed IT managers batty. They've been able to lock down laptops and other Windows machines to the max... but figuring out how to keep tablets secure and free of user-installed crud has been making them insane for the past year. Compared to Windows/MacOS the root OS's are lousy in that regard, so the current approach requires additional third-party software like "Entarasys" and others (http://www.enterasys.com/).

I have a couple of larger builder-clients right now that are completely befuddled by this issue.. in fact they didn't even issue the devices, they just sort of let it happen organically and now they're kind of phooked. One case was really bizarre - this company has been a leader in using web-based apps for years and totally controlling everything... suddenly their guys are running all over the place using stuff they didn't sanction...

Interesting problems.
    JLS
    =====================================
    ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
    Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
    Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
    ====================================

Comment

On my iPad and iPhone both running iOS 5.1 Setting→ General, →Restrictions, enter a passcode, then enable what you want restricted. Use a different code than the unlock code.

Tom
      http://chicagocraftsmen.org/2011/06/261.html

Check with the AHJ, what we say doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by tjbnwi View Post
        On my iPad and iPhone both running iOS 5.1 Setting→ General, →Restrictions, enter a passcode, then enable what you want restricted. Use a different code than the unlock code.

Tom
        I did that on my iPad 1 when I gave it to my daughter. Just the other day she asked if I would download a free game and I realized the App store was gone, the ability to delete Apps was gone...bottom line, it worked well. The only way to add and delete apps is to lift the restrictions, and only I can do that with the pass-code.
        "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

I am asked this question daily during demos, which I run on an iPad. Seems to be a major concern, and rightfully so. I learned the hard way....downloaded a "Free" Disney game for my 6 year old, and was billed over a hundred bucks, as he kept "adding" more characters. Imagine what employees will do, especially in a large company where they feel no one will notice.
          Chris Cardillo
          Founder
          SpecBid.com
          ccardillo@specbid.com

Comment

Forgot to mention mine is an iPad 1 also.

If this is really a problem I will ask my son how he handles it. He is responsible for over 5500 iDevices, they also must be HIPAA and some other security (for credit cards) compliant.

Tom

Comment

I think in this case, no one in my department cares what IT thinks, because somehow they don't even think to ask what we need! This is an IT debacle that bought refurb Panasonic toughbooks for over $2k each, and 9 guys returned then and said ^&^%$%^ after only hours of attempted use.

So the tablets are in, and I can understand some concern, however, I am also in the loop this time to have requested apps installed. My problem is some of us are savvy enough to find better apps, which may still be free, and use them. So what if I pay for BuilderCalc, as of now I have to use D Measures free app. Doesn't matter if it is the same as BC, considering their track record, we can screw'em up ourselves, and probably be happier!

It's like a mini-war, so far we put up with inferior slow equipment, and they barely keep it going. I gave up asking for help or changes, especially after the main office manager asked to please not curse at the it techs on the phone.....She said they're afraid to come to our floor and sometimes she needs them...:-( I simply said.."Fix the Fu.... thing!"

When you see how much is pis... away you wonder why they bother with us.
              Take Care

Jim

Comment

I reread your original question. Simple answer is, the iPad can be locked to prevent apps being added. I have no clue about an Androd tablet.

Ask yourself, if they were your tablets, would you want anyone adding apps to your equipment? Sounds like you need to have a discussion with the apporperate people.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by James Eggert View Post
                  Can you lock a tablet so the user can only use what the admin installs? Subsequently, no one can add apps afterward? even free ones?

it would seem to me that whomever has the tablet could create their own android account and pay for added apps get free apps?

What am I missing?
                  My wife got an iPad2 last year from her company. It's a 64gig 3g unit. Her company has it locked so she cannot download anything and the IT guys get it back if there are any pdates they want to add to it (as far as I understand). One can surf or use the existing apps, but that is all.

Phil
                  It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

Tom
                    The above may sound one-sided, but we asked to be included in the selection and setup of equipment this time trying to avoid another failure. The main program we need to run is being developed in an ongoing question/answer scenario by the software company; our input is used as one of the baselines of how the program will work in real life by those who actually use it. When they said don't buy the toughbooks, they're durable but too slow to handle the program, IT proceeded anyway. By the way, we are limited to the Galaxy on Sprint network, I even tried to get them to buy 10 and use a verizon setup, but that only confused the issue more. You pay per month per unit, so why not use the service which works, DUH! The Sprint network around here is slow and unpredictable, except for dropping connections.

The tablets as we've seen in the field can do many things very well, and surely will make my life easier. I've worked with contractors who have the plans on their Ipad, bring up a sheet to check a detail, can have us sign-off on the ipad, and can send an email to pertinent parties in real time while standing in the mud discussing the problem is just one way these will help us. The capacity to document field activities, meetings, pictures and immediately store them in a folder(place) using Evernote and/or other similar programs is something we look forward to being able to do.

Our concern is locking down a new tool so it is limited out of the box, and the frustration of knowing it can do so much as we determine what else we can do, besides using the inspection software.
                    Last edited by James Eggert; 04-03-2012, 07:29 AM.
                    Take Care

Jim

Comment

Sounds like an on going process. In time you may get what you need. At least your involved this time.

Tom

Comment

Jim,
                        If the software is being specially written for your group, why don't they just write the app for the iPad? If a 13 year old kid can write an app (and make several hundred thousand in the process) then these IT guys should have no problem. As far as adding apps to increase functionality, administrative upgrades (installing new/more apps) should be a relatively quick ordeal.

It doesn't matter how good the unit is if it can't communicate when you need it to. Hope your frustration doesn't last too long.;-)

Phil
                        It's better to try and fail, than fail to try.

Comment

After a discussion today with the IT rep, I think we are on the same page. They are willing to help us install any free apps we want, but due to the purchasing options, at this time we need to stay with free apps.

The tablets have the market disabled, so even using our own cc we can't buy and install new programs. So far I can't even pay for xyz and have IT install it. Some security issues with licensing. But we will work with them to get something useful!!
                          Take Care

Jim

Comment

Phil
                            The software is a new program for municipalities for inspection and permitting and saving info. The sw started as desktop programs, and now the add-on modules for mobile use is up and running. We ask and usually get fixes and new stuff as we see we need it.

Currently there are 4 cities using this in CT, with more watching how it plays out.
                            Take Care

Jim

Comment

Jim
                              Aren't you talking about Android tablets? You mentioned Android in your original post.

It's true that iPads can be locked by their owner so nobody else can add stuff. The problem in so many of these organizations is that the company doesn't have any control over the device because they didn't supply them - they didn't exist when the company policy manual was written and nobody can get their heads completely around them.

The "field guys" or "salespeople" go out and buy a Tablet and start using that instead of the company-issued laptop . It creates a slew of issues with data entry, safety, security that nobody anticipated. This is an issue for at least half a dozen companies I'm working with. People will RDP into their laptop, which will wind up sitting at home, connected to their home network (another issue). Nobody in IT at the company even knows that it's happening, and I would not have discovered it except for a visit to their field operation in one case -finding guys running around with something other than their laptops. In a couple other cases I found out because end-users called me instead of tech support and I figured out we weren't looking at the same thing - I'm saying "right-click on this" and they're saying "I don't have a mouse".... busted.

Having proprietary tablet software developed would still be my absolute last resort - it may be faster/cheaper to develop a tablet app than a PC app - but it can still turn into a huge cost - and you have to think ahead clearly enough to develop a reasonably good product roadmap, then you have to support it, update it, etc etc. It can still easily turn into big dollars and a an endless distraction. I'd try to find something off-the-shelf that you can tweak.
                              JLS
                              =====================================
                              ((Planning + Process) x Technology) = SUCCESS!

Joe Stoddard
                              Mountain Consulting Group, LLC
                              Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/moucon

How can we help you achieve your goals?
                              ====================================

Comment

Working...
                              X