Damaged Foundation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damaged Foundation

After the forms are removed (about a week) I noticed two large cracks, both starting at the very top of the foundation wall (approx. 15ft apart) and traveling diagonally away from each other down to the top of the footing.

Turns out the excavator caused the damage by compacting the earth into the side of the foundation wall as it was driving back and forth between the two homes. The bulge in the last picture is after they pulled it back some. I heard it was a lot worse then what is shown in the picture.

This is the same house shown in the other thread about improper window installation.

Keep in mind the damage (bulge in wall) was worse before picture was taken!
    Last edited by LIHR50; 08-24-2014, 07:56 AM.
    Gary

Re: Damaged Foundation

so in your other thread you talked about the number of inspectors and that they are inspecting major part of the building. So does this foundation get inspected?

The horizontal cracks look like a pretty typical case of one load of concrete setting up before the next load got installed. And a little bit of work with a vibrator could have helped to negate it some.

How would you like to be the framer on that one wall?

Comment

The level of neglect is simply amazing. Do you know if these are specs. or custom built to contract?

It appears there is no concern for water/damp proofing as well.
      "ALS IK KAN" - Stickley

Comment

I disagree that it was two loads of concrete setting up at different times. It looks as though the excavator was at fault. I've seen/worked on several basement walls that have failed because a machine got too close. Typically when you back fill on a tight lot like this you have to backfill with your tracks perpendicular, not parallel to the walls. In addition I always shored the walls until the first floor deck was in place. We left the shoring in place on the non bearing exterior walls until the roof was on. No reason to lose a wall like this if the people watching over the job know how to direct operations. They've got a mess on their hands now. With engineering oversight it is possible to push the wall out (after removing the backfill)brace it without tearing it out, but IMHO nothing related to this fix will be inexpensive if done correctly.

"The horizontal cracks look like a pretty typical case of one load of concrete setting up before the next load got installed. And a little bit of work with a vibrator could have helped to negate it some."

How would you like to be the framer on that one wall?[/QUOTE]

Comment

Ablesupe, You're correct it was the excavator and they did pull the wall back to where it is now in the picture.

The homes are both specs, however the one with the damaged foundation is now in contract.

Beezo I really don't know what's going on with inspections on these builds but I'll find out in the near future.

"How would you like to be the framer on that one wall? " already framed and the plates overhang quite a bit on that wall.
          Gary

Comment

fast track building at it's best. They probably gave the wall all of 12 hours to cure before pushing dirt up against it

Comment

Picture #2 there is a cold joint at the bottom of the wall but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

The bow in the wall in the last 2 pictures is ridiculous.

Back in the day you wouldn't backfill until the floor was built so the concrete would have a week or 10 days to cure and the floor would act as a brace.

There's always a danger of green concrete cracking when backfilling. Today for safety reasons we backfill before framing and this means the walls are greener than they used to be at 7 - 10 days so we brace the walls. If there's a lot of jogs in the wall you're OK but long walls have to be braced. I use scaffold planks, 2x8, 2x10 and /or 4 x 4's.....something heavier than 2x4's.

It doesn't take long but boy does it save you money.

Comment

We always frame the deck a few days after foundation completion, then come back and backfill. Never had any issues.

Brian

Comment

" already framed and the plates overhang quite a bit on that wall. "

This is what happens when whomever is "trying" to run the show doesn't know his as. from a hole in the ground. It would have delayed things, but it would have been better to just sawcut the wall out, drop it, and repour with the proper connections. The overhang looks like between 2-3", which although may not be a structural issue, sure screws up the cosmetics. Do they plan on scarifying and parging the wall so the plane is flat? Hard to imagine how far they bowed the wall if they left 2-3" AFTER fixing it!

Gee, looks like the concrete guy is off the hook for anything on this foundation!

typical though excavator stupidity, and they never admit it because they just don't learn until it hits them in the wallet!!!! However, not all excavators fall into the stupid column, many, many good ones out there!
                  Last edited by James Eggert; 08-25-2014, 09:30 AM.
                  Take Care

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Jim
                    typical though excavator stupidity, and they never admit it because they just don't learn until it hits them in the wallet!!!! However, not all excavators fall into the stupid column, many, many good ones out there!
                    It's usually not the excavator's fault, it's usually the general contractor demanding he get in their as soon as possible, we use to leave them open for 7 days but now the fear of OSHA coming around makes us fill them as soon as possible so we can start framing. Of course, by the time you waterproof the back of the wall and lay drain pipe you are pretty much there, they should also be backfilled with drain rock, not dirt.
                    You will ask what goal the U.S. is pursuing? .... their external debt is huge, and ruining other countries is their customary method. Even ownership of the global 'printing press' is no longer helping. Nor is full control over NATO, None of that if enough for the 21st century colonizers. They don't just need to preserve the dollar as the only global currency but also to get their hands on the economic wealth of other large powers and regions. - Sergei Naryshkin

Comment

But Dick, the excavator still knows his machine will crack or move the wall!!
                      Drainage is typically required, however the IRC Section R404.1.7 stipulates "Backfill shall not be placed against the wall UNTIL the wall has achieved sufficient strength AND has been anchored by the floor above, OR has been sufficiently braced to prevent damage by the backfill."

Once the drainage pipe and stone is placed after either dampproofing or waterproofing membrane has been installed, backfilling halfway in most cases provides a reasonable work area/access for the framer! I did the half-way thing for many projects, and if you hold the backfill to 4' or less, bracing is not required.

Don't worry, everyone will simply point fingers at the other guy!!
                      Take Care

Jim

Comment

The bow looks like a curve, are you sure it wasn't formed like that? I see walls formed like that from time to time.
                        "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

Originally posted by LIHR50 View Post
                          "How would you like to be the framer on that one wall? " already framed and the plates overhang quite a bit on that wall.
                          I hope they at least oversized the sill plate on that wall, or else the bolting is going to be at the edge of the plate.

kevin
                          “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” - Upton Sinclair

Comment

Originally posted by Ted S. View Post
                            The bow looks like a curve, are you sure it wasn't formed like that? I see walls formed like that from time to time.

Ted it wasn't formed that way. Take a look at the first two pictures. Those cracks were caused when the excavator was driving back and forth between the two newly poured foundations. (there's two homes side by side).

The GC is at fault. Yes I agree the excavator driver should know, but it appears the GC has not a clue about proper building techniques, not to mention basic code requirements.

I believe the people who are in contract to purchase the home have been informed about the foundation via a neighbor.
                            Gary

Comment

Well you guys know how I feel about this....

A little Bondo and a good primer and let's throw the frame up.
                              "First we finish the game, then we’ll deal with the Armada!"

Sir Frances Drake

Comment

Working...
                              X