Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

How to determine best fit- windows with location (Austin) and insulation (foam).

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine best fit- windows with location (Austin) and insulation (foam).

I have a client that wants a new home and has not specified the windows (or specs. of windows). What should the windows perform/specs, be for this Central Texas location (mixed climate hot humid etc.) with the insulation selection (foam) and cost is always an issue. Is there a simple way to know which windows would be a good choice?

Or the specs. that the windows should have?

Or where can I get this information?

Thank you, Joe

Re: How to determine best fit- windows with location (Austin) and insulation (foam).

Do you want to use wood, wood clad, or metal windows? If budget is an issue Jeld-Wen has some pretty affordable windows, insulated Low-E glass is minimal these days.
    ============================================

Twitter

Houzz

Comment

Re: How to determine best fit- windows with location (Austin) and insulation (foam).

I hope Allan meant vinyl, not metal. I would start here:

http://www.efficientwindows.org/new_selection1.php

Comment

A possible place to begin is with the building code.

The windows should be speced before the HVAC.

Consider finding a good window shop and work with them?
        www.train2rebuild.com
        Twitter

Comment

EnergyStar rated windows are 'good' performance base-line for different climate regions.

Comment

Working...
          X