Announcement

Collapse

ALERT - Threads Not Displaying

A large number of threads from the last 12 months are no longer displaying in the individual Forums. The technical team is aware of the problem and we are working to resolve it. We apologize for the inconvenience. Thank you for your patience.
See more
See less

Taping problems in cold house.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taping problems in cold house.

I recently ran into a problem with my taping rounding off on the inside corners of the entire house. Home is a newly constructed bungalow with 8ft walls and regular 6/12 flat bottom cord trusses.
    I took 10 days off during christmas break. We had the house 75% completed painting. When we came back after our break the corners were rounded off.
    We had terrible weather. -50 celsius for most of the winter break and a couple of days that went to -10 celsius. We live in Manitoba, Canada. The change in temperature was crazy.
    I have 2 issues that I think are the cause of the problem.

1. I think the homeowners set the thermostat down. When I arrived my first day back, the temperature in the 3 bedrooms was at best +5 to freezing temperature.
    2. HRV not balanced properly. Even after the temperature was set at 20 in the hallway, the temperature stayed at 5 in the bedrooms. There was always a 10 to 15 degree difference in temperature.

For Americans 0 = 32, -40 = -40F, 20 is room temperature.

I would appreciate any help.

Re: Taping problems in cold house.

I have never heard of "rounding off" referring to drywall. Must be a geographical language difference. Please explain for the audience what it means?
    Tom

"Whoever ceases to be a student has never been a student." George Iles

Comment

Better yet, put up a picture so we can all see.

Comment

Sound like a problem that was caused by the owner turning down the heat to a level that compromised your work.
        Can you verify this and what can you do about it.
        please post a picture of this rounding off
        Mark Parlee
        BESI(building envelope science institute) Envelope Inspector
        EDI Certified EIFS Inspector/Moisture Analyst/Quality Control/Building Envelope II
        EDI Seminar Instructor
        Level one thermographer (Snell)
        www.thebuildingconsultant.com
        www.parleebuilders.com
        You build to code, code is the minimum to pass this test. Congratulations your grade is a D-

Comment

Originally posted by loosepucks View Post
          I recently ran into a problem with my taping rounding off on the inside corners of the entire house. Home is a newly constructed bungalow with 8ft walls and regular 6/12 flat bottom cord trusses.
          I took 10 days off during christmas break. We had the house 75% completed painting. When we came back after our break the corners were rounded off.
          We had terrible weather. -50 celsius for most of the winter break and a couple of days that went to -10 celsius. We live in Manitoba, Canada. The change in temperature was crazy.
          I have 2 issues that I think are the cause of the problem.

1. I think the homeowners set the thermostat down. When I arrived my first day back, the temperature in the 3 bedrooms was at best +5 to freezing temperature.
          2. HRV not balanced properly. Even after the temperature was set at 20 in the hallway, the temperature stayed at 5 in the bedrooms. There was always a 10 to 15 degree difference in temperature.

For Americans 0 = 32, -40 = -40F, 20 is room temperature.

I would appreciate any help.
          I'm kind of thinking that you just didn't embed the tape back into the corners enough. I did that once when I first started, and they were sort of "rounded off". What I did, was rip it out and do it over again. Turning up the heat a bit more wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Working...
          X