100% Non Combustible??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100% Non Combustible??

Is anyone aware of a sheathing product that has fire ratings of zero across the board(i.e. smoke 0, fire 0, etc) I need to sheath a brick fireplace with a 100% non combustible material 1/2" thick on top of 1 1/2" steel furring channels. The local inspector has told me that ANY type of drywall (type C, X ) is unacceptable b/c the paper will catch fire. He has also ruled out USG fiber rock panels as well. I'd like to stay away from Durock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Benson
    Matt Benson
    A mistake is not a mistake until it is made twice.

Re: 100% Non Combustible??

Duraroc would have been my suggestion. Any reason for staying away from it?

Good Luck
    Dave
    This Space For Rent - BR549

Comment

I haven't used this product yet. But we were impressed with the sample. Architect specified it on a project we hope to land soon.

http://magnesiacore.com/index.html

Comment

Dave,

The reason I wish to stay away from Durock is twofold, the edges always crumble after a cut, and I'll be cutting the materials indoor. I find the dust produced from cement based boards is more pervasive than drywall dust.

Matt
        Matt Benson

Comment

Vermarajnet,

Do you know if this product is readily available in the US now? Their website indicates that it is only available through special order. It does appear to possess the qualities I'm looking for.

Matt
          Matt Benson

Comment

Originally posted by bensonm16 View Post
            Vermarajnet,

Do you know if this product is readily available in the US now? Their website indicates that it is only available through special order. It does appear to possess the qualities I'm looking for.

Matt
            If your interested you can request a sample. They sent us a full sheet of 1/4" by UPS (68lbs). When I talked to the sales people they said the landed cost would be 40% more than a standard sheet of sheetrock. They have dealers lined up to deliver and there are some home depot or lowes that stock the product.

Like I said I haven't actually bought any yet. I found the sales people easy to deal with: they were knowledgeable about the product and they gave us a lot of delivery options.

Comment

Is anyone aware of a sheathing product that has fire ratings of zero across the board(i.e. smoke 0, fire 0, etc) I need to sheath a brick fireplace with a 100% non combustible material 1/2" thick on top of 1 1/2" steel furring channels. The local inspector has told me that ANY type of drywall (type C, X ) is unacceptable b/c the paper will catch fire. He has also ruled out USG fiber rock panels as well. I'd like to stay away from Durock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Benson
              Matt,

What material is being placed on top of this material you request? ....IOW, how is it being finished?

Durarock is the way to go. I use a carbide scoring tool...no saw & there's little dust to be developed doing it that way. thinset with FG mesh tape for the joints.....
              Chuck

Comment

Contact magnesiacore and see if they can help get you some. It's 100% non-combustible, comes 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" amd 5/8" thick. Like a drywall to cut and use but easier to refinish.

A lot lighter than cement board and not as difficult to work with.

A non-combustible integral non-vitrous ceramic-like solid mineral material without any paper face or other layers that can come apart or burn off. It's perfect for your application and your building inspector will love it since he has said no to drywall and cement board already.
                Last edited by TC2007; 02-27-2007, 09:44 PM.

Comment

I know they say that Magnesiacore is non combustible but have you guys ever seen Magnesium burn? ... Actually, it doesn't really burn but explode expecially when you put water on it. I checked their website and they include magnesium composites/byproducts in the core. Some serious stuff. I am curious how they say that it's "non-combustible".

The only thing that I know that is truly non combustible is masonry. - ie - durock..

Just my .02
                  -Paul

"A jury consists of twelve persons chosen to decide who has the better lawyer"--Robert Frost

Comment

Steel lath and plaster would of course be non-combustible. But obviously a great deal more work.

Comment

Originally posted by Firehammer View Post
                      I know they say that Magnesiacore is non combustible but have you guys ever seen Magnesium burn? ... Actually, it doesn't really burn but explode expecially when you put water on it. I checked their website and they include magnesium composites/byproducts in the core. Some serious stuff. I am curious how they say that it's "non-combustible".

The only thing that I know that is truly non combustible is masonry. - ie - durock..

Just my .02
                      After magnsium burns it becomes magnesium oxide. The ashes of magnesium can't burn again. Magnesium Oxide is used to line the inside of blast furnaces to keep iron from melting at high tempuratures and to keep more of the heat inside it or away from things since it reflects heat. You can't get more non-compustible than magnesium oxide in a building material without going to a metal. Metals tend to melt before magnesium oxide will start to decompose at somewhere north of 3000 degrees... this is also why they line the inside of blast furnaces with it that melt metals and glass.

Magnesium Oxide is what heavy duty fireproofing is made from of ever since asbestos is no longer permited.

The building inspector already said no to Durock because it cracks and crubles from heating and cooling near fire.
                      Last edited by TC2007; 02-28-2007, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SolarPowered View Post
                        Steel lath and plaster would of course be non-combustible. But obviously a great deal more work.
                        Steel lath and plaster would crack and crumble from expansion and contraction from cycles of heating and cooing near a fire place.

Comment

Vermarajnet,

Matt
                          Yes.. It is available for delivery anywhere in North America.

Comment

Originally posted by TC2007 View Post
                            Contact magnesiacore and see if they can help get you some.
                            It's good to know about this product but would be even better if you would just tell us upfront you're from Magnesiacore (your e-mail address is just a teeny tip-off) instead of playing games.

Comment

I checked into the price of Magnesiacore and boy is it pricey. I was quoted $150 for 4 half inch 4'x8' sheets, plus $150 for delivery. They also said the best way to ship it was to cut it into 32" x 48" sheets.

It almost seems that it would be cheaper to sheath the fireplace with sheet steel and rivits!!!

Oh yeah, in answer to a prior question; there will be a federal style fireplace surround on one side and a built in step back bookcase/ audio video cabinet on the other side. There will be no visible sheathing after my cabinets are in.

Matt
                              Matt Benson

Comment

Working...
                              X