Cracking at concrete block walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracking at concrete block walls

How much cracking should be expected for a 50 year old house that is of concrete block construction. There are quite a few cracks around windows and doors. Some have been patched over and are recracking. Is this normal for this type of construction material or should I be concerned about movement/settlement? There are no expansion joints present.

Comment

Re: Cracking at concrete block walls

Since I have a 50 year old block house with cracks, let me ask this: how wide are the cracks? How much is the sag horizontally, how plumb it is? Do you have water ingress? I did. Read on.
      When I had the foundation dug out we found the footing had broken. The footing drains were renewed and the webs were filled with concrete and a few rebars about every six feet. The house isn't worth the cost of two new foundation walls. In the two years since the project was done, there has been no visible movement. The basement is dry.
      The house still has a sag as the foundation only stabilized and the house wasn't lifted and leveled.
      You must judge how much investment is warranted.

ED

Comment

Re: Cracking at concrete block wall fence

Good day. I was browsing the web and I have a problem with a neighbor's block wall that abuts my property. The block wall is about 32 years old, and it has a concrete retaining wall below it (there is a vertical crack in the retaining wall near where the tree was). The wall is approximately 50 yards long, and abuts at least six properties. The blocks are rectangualar, about 6" tall and maybe 14" wide. No blocks are missing, The wall may tilt a few degrees at the top (it's about 6' tall on my side and about 9' tall on the neighbor's side. The neighbor thinks the wall has been damaged by a tree that used to be on our property. He is most concerned about spaces between some of the lower bricks where there is no grout. He thinks the wall has been comprimised and is in danger of collapse. Initally, I thought perhaps he was correct, however I drove around the housing tract, it seems that most of the exact same type of block walls are missing grout in the same area, and clearly there is erosion and stain evidence of water has passing through these groutless areas of wall as well. The missing grout is at ground level on my property, and about three feet high on his property which is physically below mine. It seems to me that by comparing the properties in the tract with simillar walls, that this missing grout is intentional and actually some type of drainage system. Are you aware of such a design? There is no other drainage system in the back yard that I'm aware of, so perhaps this design would make a lot of sense?

Thank you!!

Comment

Working...
        X