Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the JLC Forums – Read-Only Edition

Please note that the JLC forums are now displayed read-only. New posts are no longer possible, but the collected work of building professionals sharing information remains available here as a resource to the JLC community.
See more
See less

Rigid Insulation over Underlayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid Insulation over Underlayment

I'm new to the forum, but would really like some help. Hopefully, someone has run into this before and can help me out.

I'm located in Central Texas and am building a house with my wife. The house was originally started by the previous owners and we are replacing and redoing quite a bit of it at the start. We are doing the majority of the work ourselves (taking forever) and we are getting close to working on the roofing. I've been reading a lot about Green Building and am trying to make the house as efficient as my budget allows. I found fiberfaced 2.5" Polyiso foam locally and had a whole bunch of it delivered to install on the roof. I plan to put one layer down over the roof and am wondering what the correct, or best, method is. The roof is sheathed with 7/16" OSB on 24" centers over 2x4 trusses. There is currently 15# tar paper on the sheathing but that will be coming off for synthetic roof underlayment. I plan to put the poly down over top of the underlayment and then another layer of underlayment (30# felt or synthetic, not sure) over top. I will then put 1x4 or 2x4 purlins at a 45 degree angle (to create venting) over the underlayment and poly and then I will have a standing seam metal roof installed.

So my plan is:
    1. 7/16" OSB sheathing
    2. synthetic underlayment
    3. 2.5" Fiberfaced Polyiso
    4. 30# roof felt
    5. 1x4 or 2x4 (does the size matter?) purlins
    6. standing seam metal roof

Does this sound like a good plan, or should I have another layer of sheathing or should I skip the roof felt, or is there any other suggestions you guys might have?

Thanks in advance.

I also attached a picture of the polyiso (111 sheets of 4x8) and a picture of the house/roof as of a week ago.

Since no one has responded yet, I'll ask another question with some design ideas that I found.

The picture attached seems like a good idea for getting the polyiso installed and still having the venting. My question is whether the extra layer of sheathing is necessary since I will be installing a standing seam metal roof and not shingles. Any ideas?

Jacob

Comment

Both shingles and steel panels must be connected securely,
      OSB overlay is simple, & effective value.
      Standing-seam roof-clip/fastener must align with flat 2x4 blocking, if OSB is omitted.

Comment

I'm now thinking of doing something similar to the picture below (taken from this website ). Again, it shows another layer of sheathing on top, but I'm hoping that I can do 2x4s perpendicular to the ridge, and then 1x4 purlins parallel to the ridge so I have a good base to mount the roof to. Would the 1x4 purlins be enough?

Comment

Working...
        X