Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Accounting software

Originally posted by JimNeu View Post
    <> a good construction package should also track the subcontractor insurance certificates and not pay an invoice until an insurance certificate is on file. <>
    Formerly known as Master Builder, today it's Sage 100, and includes monitoring insurance status.
    Satisfied subscriber since '99.
    However, its estimating add-on module is worthless, IMO.

Comment

As a Project Manager at several medium size construction companies, I have been developing, training, and doing research on the best estimating/project management packages for the past 20 years. Reading through this, it occurs to me that I might have something of value to offer.

I see many questions and requests for advice about specific situations. I can hear in these questions the urgent desire for a solution and the frustration at not being able to master these situations. Many of the responses to questions seem sincere and might very well be helpful. But what seems missing is a framework, or in a much more fundamental and general way, a set of worksheets and a roadmap for people to use and follow.

If you find yourself strapped for time, and don’t come from an accounting background, this task of estimating and tracking the project’s financial health can be overwhelming. It’s very easy to have the ostrich ‘head-in-the-sand’ scenario here, as opposed to trying to solve the problem at hand. After all, we are builders first and not accountants so it’s understandable we may not possess the skills to do this.

I am in the early stages of building a short video course about Project Estimation and Financial Tracking. It might sound overly complicated, but actually the goal is simplify a lot of this for the busy contractor.

The course outline will cover :

How to use the supplied excel estimating sheet for residential renovation costing
      Quick overview of the built-in features (don’t worry, you don’t need to do any formula work as I’ve done the heavy lifting for you)
      Review of how to track your expenses
      Review of the Project Estimate Tracking document, and how you input the labour hours, subcontract payments, and materials per category
      How to use Change Orders to reflect differences in the costs between estimated and actual, or to capture a client-directed scope change

My goal is to make available the kind of information that might otherwise only be available from a college level course or degree in Project Management/Accounting, but to do so in a way that is approachable, informative, practical, and accessible. You don’t have tons of free time, I know I am in your shoes on a daily basis, so this course will be a turn-key solution to people needing help
      I would be grateful for your feedback about whether this sort of course might be useful to you, and if so, what your priorities would be for the earliest course offerings. If it does not seem useful, I would appreciate your constructive feedback about how to make it more appealing.

Thank you.

Last edited by Kaplan29; 02-17-2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Kaplan29-

I'm very interested in your idea. I'm no accountant but try my best and my husband is running around managing the jobs all day. I am involving myself more with the company in an effort to realize more profits and the 'estimating and tracking the project’s financial health' is what I need to be able to do. I find myself wanting to be able to manage our projects but not really knowing where to start and not readily finding the resources I need. I've started by reading some books but in an ever evolving world I like the idea of internet based, updated information. I'll keep a look out for further information, keep me posted.

Best

Comment

Originally posted by CaraBuilds View Post
          Kaplan29-

I'm very interested in your idea. I'm no accountant but try my best and my husband is running around managing the jobs all day. I am involving myself more with the company in an effort to realize more profits and the 'estimating and tracking the project’s financial health' is what I need to be able to do. I find myself wanting to be able to manage our projects but not really knowing where to start and not readily finding the resources I need. I've started by reading some books but in an ever evolving world I like the idea of internet based, updated information. I'll keep a look out for further information, keep me posted.

Best
          Hi CaraBuilds,

If you want to email me at bryankaplan76@gmail.com, I'd be happy to share the materials as it becomes available.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
          X