Accounting software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accounting software

Joe: I had been custom homes since 1991, but I 2008 got run over by the marketplace, had to shut down.

Now, looks like a just might be able to get back on my feet again. I used Master Builder for many years. As you probably know MB is a decent program, but very rigid, inflexible, and I always hated that some of the direct cost GL codes were hard coded into the software. But overall it worked and I tolerated the flaws. I am not doing the $1500 upgrades anymore, been there done that. Coming up on 30 years as a CPA, so I know my way around software.

with all the advances in software, can you recommend a different program that is just a few hundred bucks. Years ago I looked at Peachtree, Cougar Mtn, Quickbooks and few other lower end products but they all feel short in the Job cost module. Most of these packages say they have JC features, but then you find that they are only referring to some simple JC reporting and not a true JC full featured module.

You have a couple of packages I should maybe consider? Jim

Re: Accounting software

The perfect accounting software for custom builders, for a "few hundred bucks"???

...and the Easter bunny will be here shortly. lol
    It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
    Working Man Online Store
    Living Healthy

Comment

Look at MYOB AccountEdge.

Comment

Originally posted by TWhite View Post
        Look at MYOB AccountEdge.
        Not a contractor specific software, certainly not for home builders.

I use and like CHS. You also might Constellation products, they have several options.

http://www.constellationhb.com/
        ============================================

[url=http://twitter.com/Allan_Edwards]Twitter[/url]

[url=http://houzz.com/pro/allan]Houzz[/url]

Comment

Jim, have you looked at Sage 100 coupled with IBSWIN?
          It is a simple matter of being patient. I do patience very well, except for the waiting part. That's the one aspect of patience that still bites me.

I'm not saying I'm Superman. What I'm saying is no one has ever seen me and Superman in the same room together.

ParkWest Homes LLC
          Working Man Online Store
          Living Healthy

Comment

Originally posted by JimNeu View Post
            Years ago I looked at Peachtree, Cougar Mtn, Quickbooks and few other lower end products but they all feel short in the Job cost module. Most of these packages say they have JC features, but then you find that they are only referring to some simple JC reporting and not a true JC full featured module.
            This sounds like a good time to take another look. All the accounting software companies have made improvements in how they track job costs. That being said, there will be shortcomings in any off-the-shelf software when applied to your specific business model. You just need to decide if you can live with the workarounds you'll have to develop to use them.

While your desired price point is unrealistic for most of the specialized custom home builder software, it's not far off for Quickbooks Contractor 2013 which provides a lot of bang for the buck.
            Joe Adams
            Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
            Houston, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Edwards View Post
              Not a contractor specific software, certainly not for home builders.

I use and like CHS. You also might Constellation products, they have several options.

http://www.constellationhb.com/
              Sorry there Allan it may not be contractor specific but I certainly am a custom home builder and I find it has worked well for me for close to 20 years. Maybe you should check things out first.

Comment

Joe: I'll take a look at QB Contractor 2013. I still would think that with all of the advances in software there should be something suitable at a lower cost.

The one feature that Master Builder did that actually really worked nice was the loan draw process. Do you know which of these, if any, handle the loan draw process? Thanks Jim

Comment

The one feature that Master Builder did that actually really worked nice was the loan draw process. Do you know which of these, if any, handle the loan draw process? Thanks Jim
                  Unfortunately, I don't have any recommendations. You're going to have to check on the availability of this feature yourself when reviewing the different software options.
                  Joe Adams
                  Deep Creek Builders, Inc.
                  Houston, Texas

Comment

Take a look at Scheduling Manager from Thoughtful Systems. The software combines scheduling, customer info, accounts receivable, payroll, estimating, mapping and more!
                    Last edited by Joe Adams; 06-06-2013, 07:45 AM. Reason: Removed link

Comment

Allan: I remember many years ago you switched to CHS Accounting software. Are you still using that? Jim

Comment

Jim:

Yes, I am still using CHS and happy to answer any questions you have about it.

Allan

Comment

Allan: Here in northern Colorado most of the contractors have been knocked out of the game. Finally just showing some signs of life and I see a possible window of opportunity and I may be able to get back to building. Just cant bear the thought of going back to Master Builder, which I did use for many years while contacting custom homes. MB is just not an intuitive piece of software, just recently still reading complaints from users. Accounting software should do all the basic accounting functions. When I have a good software package I am working with you just know intuitively that it has its act together, I certainly don't feel that way about MB. As I have mentioned earlier MB is very rigid and inflexible. One of the features I need to have is the loan draws (backtracking a little bit MB actually had a descent loan draw process). Quite simply I want to be able to go into my accounts payable and quickly filter all invoices by job number, then select all Jobs for project #1250 for example, and have all of those invoices show on the screen and then I simply review those, check a box for those I want to pay and then click a button and have them show up on the loan draw report, and from there be able to cut my computer generated checks (OR maybe now it is all do my bank transfer and they don't cut checks any longer. I been out of the building game for 7 years now, so there are probably a few things that have changed). If the software really had its act together, it would prepare the general ledger entry for that draw (the one thing that MB would not do). Also a good construction package should also track the subcontractor insurance certificates and not pay an invoice until an insurance certificate is on file. I been a CPA for 30 years and the one thing I don't want to do is sit around for hours on end trying to get the software to do the things I want it to do. I just want the darn stuff to work out of the box. Hard to believe that I am even having to complain about the loan draw process, you would think by now that some software company has all of this resolved by now, accounting software only been around and on main street for 30 years. This loan draw issue is a big deal to me, if this process is not automated it can chew up a whole lot of time. Any thoughts?

Comment

Jim:

CHS has multiple ways you can handle draws in the Accounts Receivable section. You can draw on individual invoices in the system or set up a draw schedule or perhaps other ways, I typically handle draws using AIA format outside of CHS. But I have used the reimburse by actual invoice method in CHS and it works great. And yes it tracks insurance and alerts you at invoice entry if a sub's insurance has expired. And payables is one of the strong points. In my opinion it is the best small builder software available by far.

Allan

Comment

Joe: I had been custom homes since 1991, but I 2008 got run over by the marketplace, had to shut down.

Now, looks like a just might be able to get back on my feet again. I used Master Builder for many years. As you probably know MB is a decent program, but very rigid, inflexible, and I always hated that some of the direct cost GL codes were hard coded into the software. But overall it worked and I tolerated the flaws. I am not doing the $1500 upgrades anymore, been there done that. Coming up on 30 years as a CPA, so I know my way around software.

with all the advances in software, can you recommend a different program that is just a few hundred bucks. Years ago I looked at Peachtree, Cougar Mtn, Quickbooks and few other lower end products but they all feel short in the Job cost module. Most of these packages say they have JC features, but then you find that they are only referring to some simple JC reporting and not a true JC full featured module.

You have a couple of packages I should maybe consider? Jim
                              Have a look at the AccountPro Software Inc's Job Costing module. Very detailed entry. Detailed or summary reports. Labor portion will show $ costs as well as hours used.

Comment

Working...
                              X