PDA

View Full Version : SoftPlan Problems

kcoyner
11-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Hey Joe,

Did SP go out of business or what? It sure did on my machine. The program gives me a message¿RNBOsproWrite returned 3, 37, 63. Please cintact Soft System Inc.

Then:

The SoftPlan Key Device Driver has not been installed on this system.
It must be installed before SP can run.
Please contact Tech Support.

I just used the program last night. I updated the key# last week as instructed in the email.

I can't get anything but dead links on the SP home page.

I can't log into Splash!
I can't do anything asscodiated with SoftPlan!

Any suggestions?

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-10-2003, 09:12 PM
They've boycotted you is all. Troublemaker.

Seriously -sounds like you fried your SoftPlan key or the key drivers are whacked -- RNBOsproWrite is a dongle file.

SoftPlan is doing fine, Splash is doing fine... sounds like a case for SoftPlan tech support.

JLS

kcoyner
11-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Joe,

What about the SP homepage. I can't get anything to open. I've had this problem for about 6 months and haven't gotten a straight answer. I've tried with my firewall disabled, enabled and no links (tech support) or anything else will open. I haven't heared from SPLASH via email as of yet.

kcoyner

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-10-2003, 10:51 PM
K
There's nothing the matter with SP's website -the problem has to with your connection

The SoftPlan site is on a shared IP address at Rackburst, which means it relies on DNS (Domain Name Services) to resolve properly. If there is anything messing up how you resolve DNS, the site is not going to load for you - you can't resolve it with IP address alone. If the DNS server is down or something is wrong with it, the URLs of various images or pages might randomly drop out, or you could get a 404 error on the whole thing.

If Adelphia there works like here, it is handing your DNS server addresses to you automatically via DHCP. You may be able to force your connection to use a different DNS server or servers and solve the problem.

Open a command prompt (START==>RUN==> type 'cmd' no quotes and hit enter . A Dos window will open.

At the prompt type 'ipconfig /all' (no quotes) - you should get a listing something like this:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : stny.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Wireless-G Notebook Adapter
Physical Address. . 00-0C-41-2D-80-16

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.105

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.92.226.238

See the last entries - DNS servers.... these are the IP addresses of your DNS servers. Write them down. (Write down yours though - not mine)

Then - try to ping them --

Go back to the command prompt and type 'ping www.xxx.yyy.zzz ' where the letters are the ip address of your DNS servers. Hit enter. Repeat with all of them.

If they don't resolve, you'll know there's a DNS problem

You can also use the 'tracert' command - at the command prompt type 'tracert www.xxx.yyy.zzz' (sub your IP numbers) and observe the route to the DNS servers. If anything is whacked along the way the addresses won't resolve and you can make a note.

Can't type any more -but that's the idea. If anything is wrong, you may be able to open your network properties and substitute some other working DNS server numbers - Adelphia tech support will have to walk you through it.

Good luck
JLS

Glenn Mitchell
11-11-2003, 12:58 AM
Often installing a new SP key means reinstalling the drivers. But your inabilty to log onto SP tech help or splash would have nothing to do with the key. You may have more than one problem here.
If I knew where they were and what they were called, I could send you the drivers as SP is probably on holidays thru tomorrow.

Verl Kauffman
11-11-2003, 02:07 PM
I was having similar problem with Splash, also another site that required a password. Also when I would tried to get into JLC Forums, I had to always go to the home page first to get to them. Had my computer cleaned up-a few upgrades, removed a lot of spyware, etc. When all was done, everything works fine. Maybe yours needs the same thing.
Verl

Joe Stoddard
11-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Verl et al
Could very well be a hijacker or similar - there are a bunch of DNS hijackers on the web at the moment. I linked a good site below that tracks these kinds of things - poke around and see if anything fits.

JLS

PC HELL WEBSITE (http://www.pchell.com/)

kcoyner
11-11-2003, 06:59 PM
Joe,

Thanks for all the information. I tried the SP and SPLASH with my old dial up connection and got the exact same result. Could there be something in my machine or Internet Explorer? I will need to contact Adelphia support for the other solutions.

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Well SoftPlan and Splash are on two completely different web servers and are not connected at all. The only comnmon link is your computer.

If you have another working computer in the house, try to reach them on that. If that doesn't work either - it's the connection. If it does - it's your computer.

JLS

kcoyner
11-12-2003, 09:08 PM
Joe,

Touched base with SP Tech Support. Got some patch links for SP. I still can't access the URLs he left me in the email. I did the ping thing. I have (2) DNS servers according to the document that pops up after the command prompt. I pinged both and the report says (for both) sent 4 received 4 lost 0. Times for trips, 16ms. I did "tracert" First 3 give times followed by "Request Timed Out" for the remaining 27 attempts for both (2) DNS servers.

Thanks Joe,

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-12-2003, 09:45 PM
K
Did you try it
1) On another clean computer on the same connection and/or

2)On your computer dialed up to a different connex ?

I thought of something else -
You don't list your OS, but it it's XP, maybe you have the built-in firewall enabled by accident? That will cause problems with Internet connections big time, especially if Adelphia also has something running on their end.

JLS

kcoyner
11-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Joe,

I tried the links using my old Dial Up connection which I still have for one reason or another. Same results. I checked for the XP built in Firewall but couldn't find it. I opened Internet Options and went to the security tab. Everything there is set to the default setting. Couldn't find the on/off switch. Under the advanced tab I clicked "restore defaults". Only thing I think I ever changed there was under Microsoft VM. I had all Java related items checked. Seems like I was getting a lot of JAVA script error messages so I figured I would make them all work. What sould I have there? I do have the little yellow error sign in the bottom left corner for the SP site and some others also. I couldn't use my laptop to access site. Daughter has it at college.
Anyway it's looking more and more like something with IE. Do you think we are on the right trail?
Also do you think the ping test ran out O.K.

Thanks again Joe!

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-12-2003, 10:40 PM
Certainly sounds like script errors, but it could be that your install of IE is damaged (or windows system files) , so no matter how you set settings it doesn't matter. Have you scanned for viruses, spyware, etc. ?

After confirming no unwelcomed guests - I'd try some re-installs over top -- 50-50 chance that will work with no pain.

XP firewall ----- cut/paste from Windows help---------------

To enable or disable Internet Connection Firewall
Open Network Connections
Click the Dial-up, LAN or High-Speed Internet connection that you want to protect, and then, under Network Tasks, click Change settings of this connection.
On the Advanced tab, under Internet Connection Firewall, select one of the following:
To enable Internet Connection Firewall (ICF), select the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
To disable Internet Connection Firewall, clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box.
Notes

To open Network Connections, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, click Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
If you clear the Protect my computer and network by limiting or preventing access to this computer from the Internet check box, the firewall on your computer is disabled, and your network is vulnerable to intrusions.
You should not enable Internet Connection Firewall on virtual private networking (VPN) connections or on client computers because ICF will interfere with file and printer sharing.
ICF cannot be enabled on the private connections of the Internet Connection Sharing host computer.
Internet Connection Sharing, Internet Connection Firewall, Discovery and Control, and Network Bridge are not available on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition.
----------------- end cut/paste ----------

JLS

kcoyner
11-13-2003, 07:16 PM
O.K. Joe,

I'm almost convinced that it is scipt errors. I went to Internet Options and checked everything just to see what would happen and I get about 6 error messages for the SP homepage. When I reset them to default, I get the homepage with no error message but as soon as I point to Tech Support, Pricing etc the error flag appears in the lower left. When I click the flag, I get this message about line XXX Chracter YYY and so on. I downloaded and installed all the latest patches. I tried to find out how to reinstall IE but had no luck. I tried to download earlier versions but get a message that says I have a newer version already with no option to revert. I uninstalled the SP 1 for IE and that made no difference. So how do I reinstall IE?

Thanks Joe!

kcoyner

kcoyner
11-13-2003, 07:35 PM
Joe,

Things are looking up! I deleted my old cookies and now SPLASH login appears.

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-13-2003, 08:30 PM
K
Too many variables - you're going to have to call Microsoft tech support for step-by-step instructions of re-installing and troubleshooting IE. There are 101 things that could be causing it to not process Javacript properly. Most likely it's just settings, but it could be a damaged or missing script interpreter, a virus, etc.

JLS

kcoyner
11-13-2003, 09:11 PM
O.K. Joe,

I got the instructions from Microsoft T/S. What exactly does "appropriate registry subkey" below mean. I don't have "IsInstalled (REG_DWORD)" or I can't find it.

Here's the instructions

When you try to reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer, you may receive the following error message:

Setup has detected a newer version of Internet Explorer already installed on this system.
Setup cannot continue.
To avoid this error message and reinstall the same version of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, follow these steps:
While you are logged on as an administrator, click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
Locate the appropriate registry subkey, right-click the IsInstalled (REG_DWORD) value, and then click Modify.

To reinstall only the Internet Explorer 6 browser component on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383}

To reinstall only Outlook Express 6 on Windows XP, use the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftActive SetupInstalled Components{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Change the value data from 1 to 0, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor, and then install Internet Explorer 6.
To reinstall Windows XP updates, visit the following Microsoft Windows Update Web site:

Joe Stoddard
11-13-2003, 09:34 PM
K
I can't really type you through editing your registry - sorry.

The Windoze registry has 5 main keys - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
etc
etc
etc

They are saying you won't get a valid new installation unless you delete a couple of old subkey values.

- "Appropriate Subkey" - means...
Under each main registry key are subkeys and more subkeys - like sub-directories. They'll be on the left - values to change on the right. Once you're in Regedit you need to drill down the path to find the subkey(s) they're telling you, starting with HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE - and follow the instructions for changing the values.

If you want me to guide you through this. or do it for you it will take a webconference (remote control) session at our regular rates for training/tech support. I'd try it myself first however. Contact me privately if interested.

JLS

kcoyner
11-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Joe,

I got through the registry ediit deal only to run into another common problem. Trying to reinstall IE I get something about what I'm trying to download not passing the "authentic windows" something or other. I tried from within my Program Files and from the IE site. I visited their user groups page and found out that I'm not the only one to have this problem.

Another interesting development: Just for the ____ of it I downloaded Netscape 7.1 . And I still can't get the SP Tech Site links to work. Even trying to Link from my email from SP support.

kcoyner

kcoyner
11-16-2003, 08:02 PM
Joe,

On the IE support site I read a few other posts that refer to the problem I'm having. I did a search at MS Knowledge Base and completed many of the tasks associated with this problem. I found one about doing an inplace reinstallation of XP but that just scares the ____ out of me.
I also tried Mozilla browser and can't open the links on the SP page with it either. I wouldn't mind if it was the Weather Channel or TV Guide!

Still plugging along

kcoyner

Joe Stoddard
11-16-2003, 08:16 PM
K
I've done plenty of over-top reinstalls of Windows - what happens is any core system files gets replaced, but anything added later is not touched -- so if you have user profiles, etc. that were created after the initial install, they'll be the same. The registry will not be overwritten, and everything will be pretty much as you left it. Like I said previously, it's a 50-50 shot that it will fix the problem. Worse case scenario you waste an hour or two. Best case everything will work again. It's worth a try.

JLS

kcoyner
11-16-2003, 10:07 PM
Just as I figured!!!

I can't get there from here. I tried to reinstall 7 times. Got a blue error screen blink with a lot of information for a ms twice. Tried not updating startup files 3 times with a blank screen after the restart right after entering product key (each time) tried to boot from the CD twice with the blank screen on both of those. Whatever is wrong with this thing seems terminal.

kcoyner

Hyland
11-17-2003, 12:45 PM
kcoyner, if you are trying to open the 12.2 links on SP's website techpage it's not your browser. They have those links de-activated right now.

John

kcoyner
11-17-2003, 07:46 PM
It's not those links, it's all links. The Products and Pricing, The Contacts and Links, and Tech Support links. I recieved a link in an email from Tech-Support and couldn't access that way either.