PDA

View Full Version : need a little advice

joseph
03-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Client called said when they cook the rooms in the house get smelly . He is thinking fan is not done right . house has a great room next to kitchen .great room is open to above rooms . Is there more to this then making sure fan works and vents to the outside?

NW Architect
03-01-2012, 08:59 PM
No matter how effective, a fan will not eliminate smells

joseph
03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
i believe he is saying cooking smells and the fan on the stove hood .does that make more sense

Dancing Dan
03-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Are you worried that the hood is venting into the interior somehow?

joseph
03-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the reply .I believe the client thinks duct is leaking ,but this is a 10yr old house .If it is leaking it would go up in the attic but how would it get through the ceilings to the bed rooms . Only thing I can figure is that the vent pipe is plugged and blowing it back into the house .
I have to drive a bit to the job , I want to make sure I am not missing anything .Like length of vent ducting making a difference

BeachBoy
03-01-2012, 11:57 PM
1) Check the ducts and see if they go to outside and are sealed properly.
2) See if the rating and sizing of the fan/hood is appropriate for the stove.
3) Determine if there is a source for make-up air, if not & the house is tight, install one.
4) Is there likely a stack effect happening due to the great room? Yes, likely.

You'd need to do a blower door test to see how tight the house is. If there really is a problem with this kitchen vent, check all other gas/oil type appliances to see if they have drafting problems under any conditions (i.e. CO danger...)

joseph
03-02-2012, 12:37 AM
wow -had not thought of alot of what you said.It could very well be to tight .Smells like particle board when I first walk in .Maybe that is because it does not breath .Do not understand the "stack effect" . Could you say a bit more on that.

LIHR50
03-02-2012, 05:18 AM
Odor could be coming right back in through an open window.

He's going to spend a fortune just for the time to trouble shoot and at the end it's just going to be odor that is part of the cooking process. Tell him to cook with nice smelling food or take out.

joseph
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Beach -good point on the stack effect .Could be the nature of the houses shape draws everything up . my plan,
#See if fan draws /open a door and se if it draws better
#Check that the duct is connected ,in good shape ,not restricted
#I will be looking for a new range hood anyhow - client said switch isn't wooking right anymore .I will get a quieter more powerful hood.
I have sujested they get a whole house air exchange before .And will again.
After that I am stuck .Have never done a blower door test and do not see what it would gain .
Any other advice ? Thankyou for all the help

DWBuilder
03-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Tell him to cook with nice smelling food or take out.

There is some great advice that helps get to the bottom of the problem!

NW Architect
03-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Reminds my of my Malaysian neighbor who hates the residual smells of cooking (especially the southeast Asian food she cooks). So the kitchen is only used for baking and boiling. She has a separate, well-exhausted mini-kitchen in a corner of her garage where all the other cooking takes place!

dgbldr
03-02-2012, 10:09 PM
No kidding. I once had a girlfriend who lived in an apartment next door to Indian folks. The smell in HER apartment was almost unbearable to me. And there was nothing wrong with the fans in the apartment. The smell just permeated the whole building.

They need you to build them an outdoor kitchen :)

tomthetoolman40
03-02-2012, 10:36 PM
No kidding. I once had a girlfriend.............................
I'm picturing the breakup now......"It's not you honey it's the neighbor"

.........................who lived in an apartment next door to Indian folks. The smell in HER apartment was almost unbearable to me. And there was nothing wrong with the fans in the apartment. The smell just permeated the whole building.
We lived in a house next door to Indian neighbors, and the smell of the curry was so strong we could smell it in our house. Strong stuff.

Joseph,
Be sure to check the damper is working properly, not blocked closed, and look for a bird nest in the duct (near outside opening). I've found nests in dryer ducts with the louvered style damper before. I witnessed the birds fly up and open the louvers with their beak and crawl into it.

Andrew R.
03-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Alpine Air Purifiers will get rid of the smells. They are an ionizer and ozonater(sp.). I have no idea how they work but I have one and it does work. Too much of it and your house smells like a swimming pool.