PDA

View Full Version : Need a New Pinner

Joe Adams
01-21-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm trying to decide which pin nailer to buy as my little Bostitch 23ga is proving unreliable.

I know Cadex and Grex are the most popular but wanted to get feedback from you guys before choosing one.

Thanks for your help!

David Meiland
01-21-2012, 06:11 PM
100% satisfied with my Cadex.

tjbnwi
01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Grex, 3 years not a single issue. They do need to be oiled regularly.

Tom

BThomas
01-21-2012, 06:32 PM
I second the Cadex. I like that it shoots slight head pins. I had a Grex that was good but prefer the slight head pins. They hold much better.
Bill T

kreg McMahon
01-21-2012, 07:34 PM
i have grex make sure the compressor presser is up to 100 otherwise it usually does not shoot.

great gun and either one will be fine....

dgbldr
01-21-2012, 07:51 PM
Anyone using the Porter Cable 1-3/8?"
http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-PIN138-23-Gauge-8-Inch-Nailer/dp/B0049ZBOUM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327193432&sr=8-1

I'd like to get one, it's oil-less and takes slight headed pins, but need confirmation that it's not junk like some recent PC tools.

Joe Adams
01-21-2012, 07:57 PM
I just looked at the many models Cadex & Grex offer and now I'm even more confused. I seem to recall Gary saying you should never use a 23ga pinner to drive nails over 1-3/8 as the thin gauge makes them turn easily.

archmolding
01-21-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm an OMER guy. Great guns, fantastic design. Push button blower. Made in Italy.

Bruce B
01-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Cadex ....( though I had to remove the plastic no mar tip to get it to set the brad head pins consistently)

Ottoman
01-21-2012, 09:13 PM
I can't speak to that specific porter cable, but the PIN100 I have is an amateur's tool. I think spending any money on a PC is probably throwing good money away. I have another low end gun and it has intermittent problems as well. I'd stay away from the low dollar ones is you use it on a semi-regular basis. I also have a senco. It has never jammed or misfired but I wouldn't call it a high performer. I'd like to have a Grex, Omer, or Cadex.

KB Services
01-21-2012, 09:18 PM
I've got the a Grex 1 3/8" and I love it. Brought it to a showroom job where we were doing 29 mock kitchens. Lots of trim and crown. 2 guys went out and bought one each before the job was finished because they liked mine so much.

tjbnwi
01-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Joe,

The longest pin I shoot is 1-3/8". Never needed anything longer in 23ga.

I need a new 18ga. #3 in 5 years just quit. All 3 Senco, they replaced my original Senco that lasted 15 years. I'm considering the Grex.

Tom

Kent Brobeck
01-21-2012, 10:31 PM
I have the Max and really like it have had no problems yet.

Kent Brobeck
01-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Tom, the 18 gauge Max is the best one out there.

tjbnwi
01-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks Kent, I'll look into it.

Tom

Kent Brobeck
01-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Joe, the Max has an anti-dryfire. Not sure if the others have that but thinking they didn't when I bought mine.

M Smith
01-22-2012, 01:15 AM
I've owned alot of nail guns over the last 25 + yrs. and the best of them all is my Omer 21 gauge - as Jesse said "Italian made" - great pasta, great shoes, and great nail guns ! who knew ???

21 gauge is an unusual size but it has much better holding power with the slight headed nails which is all i ever use - although it will shoot both headed and headless nails. The driver is what leaves the nail hole so there is no advantage to using headless unless your applying really thin "appliques" or similar to avoid splitting.

Shoots up to 1 3/16 (old version- which i've had for over 10 yrs now) or 1 9/16" for the new version which is a tad larger.

M Smith

Joe Adams
01-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Although I am intrigued by the notion of headed pins, 21 gauge, and "exotic" brands like Omer, I want to be able to buy this gun and fasteners locally (as well as have it serviced if need be).

For this reason, I'm leaning towards the Grex p635 which I can pick up tomorrow and put to good use on Monday.
http://grexusa.com/grexusa/products.php5?id=P635

mrmac204
01-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I have the cadex 21 ga 2" gun. Great little gun, no problems at all, and I love the blower feature.

But as Joe says you want to be able to buy the fasteners locally and that's a problem in my area. I can get them, but it's an order-and--wait thing. Guess I should'a got a 23 ga.

vwdave
01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
I had the bostich pin gun for a few years. I was getting so frustrated because every so often the nail wouldn't fully set. It always seemed to happen at the worst times. I picked up a grex p635 and I'm mad I didn't buy it in the first place. It fires and sets nails everytime and I've had no issues with it. I didn't see a need for the larger capacity grex gun. After having the bostich for such a long time I've never used or needed a larger pin that a 1".

Dave

Joe Adams
01-22-2012, 10:44 AM
My Bostitch pinner has always set pins perfectly but suddenly quit feeding them at all on Friday afternoon. I've owned it a couple of years but only use it for installing very small moldings so I've shot less than 100 pins. I went through the troubleshooting procedure in the manual to no avail. Very frustrating!

tjbnwi
01-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Joe,

Are the pins in the proper direction? My pins have arrows them. Also if you remove a rack of pins, you need to make sure they're flat when you reinsert them.

Tom

Ottoman
01-22-2012, 11:46 AM
I have only owned one bostich. It developed the same problem you described. I tried everything I could think. I finally solved the problem by tossing it in the dumpster. Cheap tools are some of the most expensive that I've ever owned.

Joe Adams
01-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Are the pins in the proper direction? My pins have arrows them.

You know, I had to go check to make sure I hadn't done something boneheaded but yes the arrow is pointed in the right direction. Good tip though. I tried several different size pins (all Bostitch brand), took the nose cover off to check for obstructions, and confirmed my compressor was putting out 100psi.

I've used a stable of U.S. made Bostitch guns (at least two each of framers, FNs, brads, staplers, roofers, siding, etc) for going on 15 years with nary a hiccup other than occasionally replacing an o-ring. This is my first Chinese made Bostitch so I have to wonder.

Brand loyalty and the seven year warranty are what sold me on their pinner. (That and one of Greg Burnet's deal alerts.)

Gary Katz
01-22-2012, 12:42 PM
I've been using Cadex guns for several years and love them...I'm sure I've said so before. I like the blower. I like being able to shoot 23ga brads. None of the other pinners will do that. I don't shoot 23ga any longer than 1 3/8, and I bet few of you do--even in MDF they can curl and come right back at your hand. So there's no need to buy the bigger gun. I smaller guns fit your hand much nicer, too. I rarely use the nose protector thing, too--seems like with a pinner I'm always wanting to get the nail into someplace strange--right up against a profile or something.

I started using the Cadex 18ga gun a few years ago and like it a lot too. Totally reliable. These 'imported' guns are the best example for contradicting the widely accepted belief that Asian products are inferior. The Cadex, the Grex, and the Max are all made in Asia and are superior to any other nailers on the market--they're also more expensive.

I think I"ve said that this before, but since Joe asked...
Thanks for the tip on the lathe.
Gary

Overbuilders
01-22-2012, 01:57 PM
These 'imported' guns are the best example for contradicting the widely accepted belief that Asian products are inferior.

I can't contradict your statement although I still have my Senco LS II and LS IV, both about 30 years old, and a Senco SLP20, about 15 years old. They never fail to impress.

Mlandry
01-22-2012, 02:53 PM
Another vote for the Cadex gun.

Mike

Joe Adams
01-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Well, I had a Grex in my hands today and didn't pull the trigger on the purchase. Ha! Ha! (Oh man, I sound just like Kreg!)

Anyway, I didn't realize it would be made in Taiwan. Maybe it shouldn't have made a difference given all the great recommendations but I just decided to consider other pinner options a bit more.

Anyone else care to share?

Kent Brobeck
01-22-2012, 09:59 PM
I looked at my Max and it is made in Taiwan too. IMHO consider buying a gun with the anti-dryfire. A 23 is sp small its tuff to know when your out of pins Taiwan is an upgrade over China.

archmolding
01-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty much sold on getting a 21g pinner. I love my omer 18 and I have both 23g nailers they offer. Love love love them. But I will be looking into getting a 21 cadex. Simply because I know they are awesome! Plus it will be a different color gun so I can tell the 21g nailers apart from the 23g. There is a chance that I may even sell my larger 23g...maybe not. We will see. I could see a 21g being my every day gun along with my 18g. I think most of the top tier guns have the lock out feature. I agree with kent, it's a must have. As far as a 23g is concerned. Headless nails are pointless. Brads all the way.

Max is a great gun. Every gun they make is awesome.

cdatrim
01-22-2012, 10:54 PM
You won't go wrong Jesse, I've had the Cadex 21 for over a year, and it's replaced all of my 23 and some of my 18ga work. You just have to keep an eye on your supply, I always have a box extra of my usual sizes. You can buy the nails at woodcraft (under 1 3/16"). I order my 2s & 1 9/16" offline.

Joe Adams
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
I've wondered about the headless vs. slight head issue. I found this on the Grex website:

Headless vs. Slight Headed Pins

Your Grex pinners are designed to only drive headless pins. When we developed our first pinner over 10 years ago, our testing showed that a tool that drives both headless and slight headed pins had a significantly higher risk of jamming which eventually resulted in tool damage. The reason is the looser tolerances required to accomodate both types of fasteners. So we decided to use purely headless pins. Holding power of a fastener comes from friction along the fastener shank and a combination of toeing and/or angling shots; not the head. And if you want to use a 23 gauge fastener because of the small hole it leaves, then why put a head on it to make it bigger?

We use 18ga brad nailers and 16ga FN's for putting up most of our trim. The 23ga pinner is reserved for self returns and delicate mouldings. I wonder if going with a 21ga would make it more versatile but still be small enough to not have to fill.

tjbnwi
01-23-2012, 07:06 AM
Removing trim held only with headless pins is not an easy task. They hold extremely well.

Tom

Kent Brobeck
01-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Removing trim held only with headless pins is not an easy task. They hold extremely well.

Tom

I agree, they do hold very well. Nail holding is a result of the diameter of the shank. If your using 23 gauge pins is it holding power your looking for or concealment of the fastener and the ability to nail very small moldings? I'm not sure I see the need for 21 gauge pins or slight head 23 gauge.

cdatrim
01-23-2012, 09:01 AM
There isn't much difference between the 23 & 21 holes. Cost is a big thing too, you can get most 23s (1 3/8) for $200. But if you were looking in between the 2" models, I would buy the 21, way more versatile, & the 2" 21ga nails are more predictable.

newman
01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
I can't speak to that specific porter cable, but the PIN100 I have is an amateur's tool. I think spending any money on a PC is probably throwing good money away. I have another low end gun and it has intermittent problems as well. I'd stay away from the low dollar ones is you use it on a semi-regular basis. I also have a senco. It has never jammed or misfired but I wouldn't call it a high performer. I'd like to have a Grex, Omer, or Cadex.

I must have gotten a defect, because my PC PIN100 works perfectly!

Joe Adams
01-23-2012, 06:04 PM
My Bostitch pinner went to the only authorized service center in Houston today. Eighty miles round trip from my house! The nail gun is registered to me as an individual so at least the repairs are covered under the seven year warranty.

I contacted Cadex and apparently there are no stocking dealers in Houston. Unbelievable.

BThomas
01-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Joe
That Grex website note must be very old. It says ten years since they first developed their 23g pinner. I bought my first 23g Grex headless pinner more than ten years ago. I would say closer to 12-14 years ago. I could be wrong on the time but I don't think so. That first pinner only took up to 3/4" pins. I believe it was developed to pin mortice and tendon cabinet joints to eliminate clamp time. A fastener supplier turned me on to that first gun. I am sure the technology has been perfected that allows the new guns to work well even with the slight heads. While the headless do hold good - The slight head pins hold even better. Do you want to settle for good when you can have better? LOL
BillT

tsbrewers
01-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I have the 23g cadex too and it works well. I have been using a ridgid one I got cheap a while back and it too has worked well, but I have only put a couple hundreds pins through it so far.

Brew