PDA

View Full Version : Curved Drywall Corners

fulcrum
09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
Seems there is always a lot of discussion on how best to curve drywall. We were recently approached by an architect to produce stand alone curves that can be integrated with drywall. This is what we came up with. My question for all you expert drywallers out there is - what dimensions would you want for a product like this (length, radius, angles)?

betterdrywall
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Not sure what you mean by Production of a product...Anyone can use the Masonite and create any curve they want. simple easy and strong. As far as dimensions ,,, that is left up to the builders or archies. You really need to extend the sides of the Hardboard out Your butt joint is too close to the edge of the curve. meaning weaker joint placement.

fulcrum
09-13-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the comment, but this is not Masonite - that was what the architect was trying to get away from. These are pre-made, curved sandwich panels. They screw in place with depth set screws just like drywall and have tapers to match the taper on the drywall butting up to them.
Admittedly the pictures only show a small section of wall but it went together much faster and smoother than I could imagine bending hardboard.
All that said - we're not drywallers. We responded to an initial request to develop something that would take the time and effort out of producing tight curves, got rave reviews from the few people involved there and are trying to figure out if this is something we ought to be doing more of.

As fro strength, the picture tells the story...

betterdrywall
09-13-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm sure the coners your making are strong,,, with what ever material your working with... Looks like Hard board glued to flex rock...... Anyway,,, The joint is TOO Close to the curve. period.