PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to PURDY brushes?

BGeezus
11-23-2009, 10:47 PM
So,one of my guys heads to HD to pick up some caulk and and some PL. I call him and tell him to bring me back a good Purdy 3" brush so I can pre-paint a base moulding before installing it on top of a finished hardwood floor.

The brush he brought back didn't look right.It kinda,sorta looked like the Purdy brush I neglected to bring with me,but it looked wimpy.Not as full. I looked it over,wondering if I should even bother using it.It wasn't a real cheapie,somewhere about $16,I think.

I brought it home to compare to another 3" Purdy brush...the ferrule is about 1/2 as thick on the new one,and the ferrule is heavily radiused instead of being square.It also has about 1/2 the bristles.No wonder it wouldn't load paint for sh*t.

I believe my older brush was purchased at HD a few years ago.

The packaging says "made in USA". Anyone know anything about this? I'm dumbfounded.

topcoatfinishes
11-23-2009, 10:54 PM
No different from the other major manufacturers who make de-spec product for big boxes. You can still get the real thing at real paint stores. For a couple bucks more. There is still nothing like a real Purdy.

Bill from Indy
11-23-2009, 11:22 PM
No different from the other major manufacturers who make de-spec product for big boxes. You can still get the real thing at real paint stores. For a couple bucks more. There is still nothing like a real Purdy.

I disagree..at one time, i would have but after switching to corona brushes, i will never go to another brush

davenorthup
11-23-2009, 11:23 PM
I just bought a few the other day - still fine as always. I do not know if they de-spec but these ones came from Lowes in KY and they are the same quality as previous ones bought at SW.

Who knows - take it back and check out some others or head to SW.

JulianTracy
11-23-2009, 11:26 PM
The ones at the big boxes have the brown label - I get the blue label ones at SW and they are MUCH better. I think they are called - pro or elite or something like that.

JT

betterdrywall
11-23-2009, 11:32 PM
http://www.coronabrushes.com/corona/index.cfm?event=showHome
The only place I have seen these brushes was at bennie moores paint stores. Pricey if I remember correctly. I've always used prudy brushes.

davenorthup
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
The ones at the big boxes have the brown label - I get the blue label ones at SW and they are MUCH better. I think they are called - pro or elite or something like that.

JT

When they do that - must have been awhile since I bought some at SW. I make those things last for years.

Bill from Indy
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
http://www.coronabrushes.com/corona/index.cfm?event=showHome
The only place I have seen these brushes was at bennie moores paint stores. Pricey if I remember correctly. I've always used prudy brushes.

Not sure if you have a porter paints around there, but the ones here stock them..they are a little more...2-5$ more per brush..if you have an account there, they run buy one get one free a lot on them or they do here anyways

trimman
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Here in the Upstate of SC the Purdy brushes are much thinner at HD versus the Sherwin Williams or other paint suppliers. I'll wait on painting and get one at the SW rather than throw money away on the HD brushes. A thicker brush makes a huge difference!

AJH

Kent Brobeck
11-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Sherwin Williams bought out Purdy a few years back. They also own Minwax. It wouldn't surprise me if HD de-spec'ed the brush. I will only buy painting products directly from Sherwin Williams. I only buy HD if I am desperate and I mean real desperate.

tom dickey
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I have noticed that the purdys have 2 diffrent handles the smaller ones has less bristles the older style larger handle has more and is the purdy we know and love the "blue" label ones are a step above those.

RWeber
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM
They make their brushes in differing thicknesses. You can get the exact same 2 1/2" angled sash in a regular or thin width.

BGeezus
11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
I had to go to B-M to get some super white today.While waiting for them to shake the can,I went thru the brushes.I checked out the Purdy XL brushes,like the others I have .All of them had a squarish ferrule and thick and full with bristles.Just like the ones I have purchased in the past (atleast one brush at HD).I didn't see any in the store that had a large radiused ferrule and less brisltles.

They also had Purdy Pro Plus(?),that looked nice,with a different bristle combination.About $2 more per brush.Not sure why I didn't grab one to go.

I don't know where the HD brushes fit into all of this.But the one we got yesterday at HD was an XL brush,same packaging as my B-M dealer.

I guess my conclusion is that Purdy is running through some New Old Stock,till they can restock everyone with new junk.Maybe I could be wrong,but it's Purdy that is causing the concerns

stamcon
11-26-2009, 12:01 AM
From Purdy's web site on XL brushes - "Ferrule: Round Edge, Square Edge, Semi-Oval (all Brushed Copper); Leather Bound – Galvanized Steel – Solid Center"

The XL comes in a lot of different handle styles -
http://www.purdycorp.com/catalog/brushes/series/xl

They make a many lines of brushes -
http://www.purdycorp.com/catalog/brushes/

steve

Stilts
11-26-2009, 10:26 PM
If you are getting angled sash brushes. The purdy's with the long thin handle, that style is the Dale. Those seem to be thinner and have less bristles than the Glide, which has a fatter, I think they call it fluted handle. They sell the XL and the Nylox at Home Depot, XL for all paints and conditions, the Nylox are softer for interior water based paints only.

If you really want to try some interesting brushes, try the Pro Extra, which are the blue bristle brushes, they have them in both Dale and Glide styles, but it's a Chinex blend, so you can use them for all types of paints, but best of all you will be amazed by how much easier they clean up. The bristles are a bit stiffer, but that actually works nicer with a lot of todays thicker paints. Gonna have to hit a paint store for these, no big box that I know of has them.

The only straight Chinex brush I've tried so far was the Corona Silk, love that brush, it's similar in style to the Purdy Pip, both of these brushes hold and put on tons and tons of paint. The Chinex also is a dream to clean up, after using these and Pro Extra's, I'll never buy another hard to clean brush again. Now if they'd only figure a way to make the roller covers clean that easily.

It can be a bit confusing, between Corona, Purdy, and Wooster there are thousands of brush, handle, ferrule, cut, and bristle combinations.

topcoatfinishes
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM
I disagree..at one time, i would have but after switching to corona brushes, i will never go to another brush

I agree. Corona's are very sweet. We cant get them locally, but when we are able to get them, we love them. I would consider using them if they were more readily available.

We had a high profile satin impervo job and geared up for it with Coronas. They were great.

BGeezus
11-28-2009, 08:20 PM
I agree. Corona's are very sweet. We cant get them locally, but when we are able to get them, we love them. I would consider using them if they were more readily available.

We had a high profile satin impervo job and geared up for it with Coronas. They were great.

That's good to hear,I'll have to pick one up,they were a couple of bucks cheaper than the Purdys at my local B-M.

Are you using them for both oil and latex? Was that the oil Impervo you used it on?

BGeezus
11-28-2009, 08:27 PM
From Purdy's web site on XL brushes - "Ferrule: Round Edge, Square Edge, Semi-Oval (all Brushed Copper); Leather Bound – Galvanized Steel – Solid Center"

The XL comes in a lot of different handle styles -
http://www.purdycorp.com/catalog/brushes/series/xl

They make a many lines of brushes -
http://www.purdycorp.com/catalog/brushes/

steve

Yes,they have a dizzying collection of brushes.I'll have to check the brush# on the brush cover.HD may have just decided to offer an existing model that was cheaper (of course).I'll try to figure it out.

Sawicki Builders
12-02-2009, 12:44 AM
So,one of my guys heads to HD to pick up some caulk and and some PL. I call him and tell him to bring me back a good Purdy 3" brush so I can pre-paint a base moulding before installing it on top of a finished hardwood floor.

The brush he brought back didn't look right.It kinda,sorta looked like the Purdy brush I neglected to bring with me,but it looked wimpy.Not as full. I looked it over,wondering if I should even bother using it.It wasn't a real cheapie,somewhere about $16,I think.

I brought it home to compare to another 3" Purdy brush...the ferrule is about 1/2 as thick on the new one,and the ferrule is heavily radiused instead of being square.It also has about 1/2 the bristles.No wonder it wouldn't load paint for sh*t.

I believe my older brush was purchased at HD a few years ago.

The packaging says "made in USA". Anyone know anything about this? I'm dumbfounded.

BG,
I heard that Sherwin Williams bought purdy, don't know when. Was a purdy fan for 30 plus years until this year on a big and complicated job. All us finishers were complaining about our purdies flagging and splaying making cutting in impossible (stained in place woodwork). Looked all over the state and evidently purdy no longer makes a chisel tip. Guys were turning to their arsenals and trying woosters, contractor grades, foam brushes, 5 in ones wrapped in rags etc. Big fight cause the brushes failed. Quite disappointed with the reduced quality of purdies so I bought several coronas recently. Coronas seeem a better brush, like purdies in the old days. Years ago I used to cut sash with a 3 inch purdy chisel tip. Now a corona chinex flows paint like mayonnaise. Purdy doesn't make a chisel tip anymore or the local SW outlet won't stock it? Are purdies still made in OREGON or are they now made in China?
Namaste'
sawick

m beezo
12-02-2009, 08:01 AM
I like the Purdy pretty well but have also been a fan of Wooster. But I tried a brand that Home Depot carries called SureLine. They also make some of the small roller stuff. I thought they were going to be a throw away brush since they were about half the cost of a Purdy. But they have been holding up well, cut a nice line, clean up nicely. Might want to look at one of them also.

As a guy who paints quite a bit but not a pro I am amazed at what a good brush can do for you when it comes to making a job look good or be done easier. I have to wonder at folks who buy the ones that I would only buy for a duster and then wonder why they cannot paint. It has actually worked out well for me since I have gotten some paint jobs just because the folks get so discouraged from using that junk.