PDA

View Full Version : Tools not made in china

NateMoss
11-07-2009, 07:56 PM
It would be nice to have a section in the forum of tools that are responsibly made by companies that follow good ethical and moral guidelines. I would pay extra money to buy an american made tool. Some of the best tools I own would be Fien Multimaster and their vac, Hitachi's nail guns (framing and siding), Makita's impact driver and other cordless li-ion tools. If you know of companies worth buying from, make a post and let us know why. For example, my hitachi framers are fifteen years old, but the new hitachi staple or brad guns from home depot are garbage. I have also been told certain big brands have certain models they send to home depot that are far worse quality than what you can buy at a independent store.

BGeezus
11-07-2009, 08:30 PM
I like your thinkin,Nate.

gburnet
11-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I have also been told certain big brands have certain models they send to home depot that are far worse quality than what you can buy at a independent store.

This rumor has been around for years. I have never found anyone who could back the claim up with fact, or even an example of such a tool. There are certainly different levels of tools within brands, the lesser ones often being sold at box stores & home centers.

The above aside, I can empathize with the desire to buy products that are of good quality & produced in responsible environments. I'd add the following to your list...

Dewalt DW712 SCMS. Made in Italy, excellent accuracy.

Festool products (in general). Made in Germany, & usually well thought out. (Let's agree right now that they, like any other company, have had a few misses).

Many Bosch tools. There are still quite a few made in Switzerland, IIRC & their quality is generally pretty good.

Veritas hand tools. Made in Canada, usually a pleasure to use.

Lie-Nielsen hand tools. Made in the USA. Pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Stabila levels. Made in Germany. Accurate & durable.

Jorgensen clamps. Made in Chicago. Heavy duty & reasonably priced.

Hilti products. (Those which are made in Germany or elsewhere in Europe. Be aware that the company is now producing some of their line in Chiawan.) Expensive, but usually industrial duty.

Chestnut Clam Clamps. Made in Florida, an indispensable tool for finish work where miters are involved. (Note: Do NOT be fooled by the Chiawanese knock-offs carried by Japan Woodworker. They're ripping off the product.)

Dalluge hammers. As far as I know, made in the USA & just sweet tools.

Enderes tools. Striking tools made in the USA that are very durable.

Trac Rac truck racks. Excellent quality racks made in Massachusetts.

Knaack products. Commercial & industrial quality boxes, racks, shelving, etc. made in Illinois.

Many used tools. Particularly older, now discontinued models from Powermatic, Delta, Porter Cable, Milwaukee, to name a few.

frenchie
11-07-2009, 09:57 PM
My Hilti jigsaw was made in Lichtenstein. Who knew they even had any manufacturing?

I got a nasty surprise with Bosch the other day, palm router from Indonesia. Double check, with Bosch.

Makita makes more tools in the USA, than anyone else.

gburnet
11-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Here's an interesting, though possibly a bit out of date list of U.S.-made tools...http://www.usstuff.com/tools.htm

And another possibly useful site...http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html#PowerEquipment

Adam444
11-08-2009, 06:21 AM
Occidental Leather for tool belts. Stanley actually makes a lot of their smaller hand tools in the U.S. too.

kawendtco
11-08-2009, 06:55 AM
blu mole reciprocating saw blades should not be sold. first cut and the edge is gone. they are supposedly an american made product. but that certainly doesnt make them good. lenox blades used to be a great blade.

love all of my hilti stuff.

i like the adjustments on my ridgid worm drives, but the outboard arbor bearing doesnt hold up well with lots of rafter cutting.

i wish stanley would make a good max steel tape again that we can get here.

my delta shop stuff from 18 yrs ago isnt very good.

my jet stuff is decent.

my dewalt 18v stuff is good but the batteries dont last and are over priced. switched to ryobi because of cost and have been very pleased with there durability to drops from ladders and stuff.

i like my 20 oz. stanley antivibe hammers, except the singing ones. this will drive you nuts. i have tried spotting them with a wire welder, grinding a line in them, no luck getting the ting out of them.

i have some werner aluminum top fiberglass ladders, type 1A that are pushing 18 yrs old. about wore out, yet better than the new werners of equal rating.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 07:11 AM
A couple more I forgot to post earlier...

PLS lasers. Made in California. Innovative, accurate, durable.

Whiteside router bits. Made in NC. Some of the best bits I own.

Klein hand tools. Made in IL. Excellent quality products by & large.

Forrest saw blades. Made in NJ. Top of the line blades & blade sharpening.

Collins spring clamps, coping foot, Bunny planes, etc. Made in Ohio. Some very unique & well thought out tools.

Edited to add: Vaughan tools. Top flight striking & sawing tools made in Illinois.

Ottoman
11-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Lamello meeds to be added to the list. A premuim line of tools- at an ultra premium price.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Lamello meeds to be added to the list. A premuim line of tools- at an ultra premium price.

Yep, along with Mafell & Hoffmann - both made in Germany, IIRC. (Lamello is made in Switzerland).

Brice Burrell
11-08-2009, 08:38 AM
I wish contractors would start looking at value instead of price only.

An underrated company that makes its products in the US, Estwing. I bought my first real hammer in 1991 when I started in the trades, that hammer is as good today as the day I bought it 18 years ago, talk about value.

I also have to give Jim Chestnut credit, his clam clamps are built to last more than a lifetime, way to go Jim. We just don't see many products like that anymore. I'd agree with Greg, indispensable.

And I'm a green kool-aid guy.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I wish contractors would start looking at value instead of price only.

An underrated company that makes its products in the US, Estwing. I bought my first real hammer in 1991 when I started in the trades, that hammer is as good today as the day I bought it 18 years ago, talk about value.

I also have to give Jim Chestnut credit, his clam clamps are built to last more than a lifetime, way to go Jim. We just don't see many products like that anymore. I'd agree with Greg, indispensable.

And I'm a green kool-aid guy.

Brice, be careful when buying Estwing products. They're not all made here anymore. Specifically, their I-beam shaped flat bar is now being produced in Chiawan. Not sure about their hammers, but if they've already got production overseas... You get the picture.

Personally, I don't trust striking tools made in Chiawan because of the garbage metal that's likely to end up in the tool. No way am I taking the risk of having a chunk of that flying off when I hit it.

kawendtco
11-08-2009, 09:02 AM
it is very difficult to find a good cats paw that has its foot shaped correctly and wont just destroy the wood. i usually grind mine until it works correctly.

David Meiland
11-08-2009, 09:20 AM
All of the cat's paws used to be Niwatori brand, made in Japan. Now there are virtually identical copies from several makers and no doubt they are all Chinese.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 09:41 AM
All of the cat's paws used to be Niwatori brand, made in Japan. Now there are virtually identical copies from several makers and no doubt they are all Chinese.

Maybe not, Dave. Glad you brought it up, as I forgot to mention Vaughan tools in my earlier posts. They make a few Japanese-inspired cat's paws & the company states they're made here. They also make other hand tools ranging from saws to striking tools, many of which are still produced in Illinois. Read more...http://hammernet.com/vaughan/pages/company/american-made.php

NateMoss
11-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Not only does this conversation make you think about tools, but for example..... PVC products; Azek was the first and only brand I was using for a while. Now the building suppliers around have dropped Azek probably because of price and they carry about 5 different brands and who knows what you will get when you order it. Some of it is royal trim boards, kleer, koma, etc. I believe versatex is made in the use. All of the finger joint trim I use comes from brazil. It seems like the only trim I can buy made in the US is mdf or high end popular.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Not only does this conversation make you think about tools, but for example..... PVC products; Azek was the first and only brand I was using for a while. Now the building suppliers around have dropped Azek probably because of price and they carry about 5 different brands and who knows what you will get when you order it. Some of it is royal trim boards, kleer, koma, etc. I believe versatex is made in the use. All of the finger joint trim I use comes from brazil. It seems like the only trim I can buy made in the US is mdf or high end popular.

And not just trim, Nate, but what about all the other elements that go into a house? We have a regional box store here called Menards. While they carry their share of Chiawanese trash, they also carry some good quality merchandise & are very good about advertising which items in their sale flier are made in the USA. I wish more retailers would follow suit.

BGeezus
11-08-2009, 10:09 AM

There's a reason why I try to not be entirely judgemental about today's situation.

I'm old enough to remember when everything from Japan was considered junk. Honda came out with a car and people couldn't stop laughing. I think I remember a Bugs Bunny cartoon where the joke was Bugs turned something over and the label said "made in Japan" implying it was a POS.

Now we harken back to the "Good Old Days" when stuff was manufactured in Japan.We actually seek out used tools that were made there as opposed to China or Malaysia.

What does it all mean?

Hickorywind
11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
any good chisel i have had either came from Sweden (E.A. Berg), UK (lately Ashley Iles, but also Sorby, Original Footprints) and the U.S. (mostly older). The Lie-Nielsen chisels are sweet, almost too nice for a jobsite. And those Blue Spruce look awesome.... but if i got one
spousal pressure would probably require me to commit hara-kiri with it. Which is all wrong
for an American tool.

David Meiland
11-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Hmmm, maybe it's not as bad as I thought. I have a couple of the Vaughan cat's paws, they're what the lumberyard sells. Back in the day I bought them at Whole Earth Access in Berkeley CA and they were the Niwatori / Yamaguchi brand, extremely nice tools. Still have a few, others have walked.

Brice Burrell
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Brice, be careful when buying Estwing products. They're not all made here anymore. Specifically, their I-beam shaped flat bar is now being produced in Chiawan. Not sure about their hammers, but if they've already got production overseas... You get the picture.

Personally, I don't trust striking tools made in Chiawan because of the garbage metal that's likely to end up in the tool. No way am I taking the risk of having a chunk of that flying off when I hit it.

I just took a look at a couple of Estwing tools I'm got at home, 22 oz framer and 3 lbs sledge made in the US, big flat bar/cat's paw made in Japan.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I just took a look at a couple of Estwing tools I'm got at home, 22 oz framer and 3 lbs sledge made in the US, big flat bar/cat's paw made in Japan.

Thanks for checking, Brice. I'm just wondering how many of their current tools are still being produced in fair trade &/or free market countries. I can state unequivocally that their I-beam bar is not. In fact, my buddy called Estwing corporate re. the matter recently & was given a response that amounted to: (I'm paraphrasing) "well, everyone else is doing it (producing goods half a world away), so we had to as well to remain competitive". I guess Vaughan knows something Estwing doesn't.

Dan Clark
11-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Don't forget Diamond Back tool belts.

BGeezus
11-08-2009, 11:45 AM

Pittsburgh,home of US Steel :(

Please take video when you chuck the cat's paw into the Monongahela,lol

hdrider_chgo
11-08-2009, 11:51 AM
Get your drill bits and countersinks from Fuller, still family owned. Have them send a 150 page catalog- they sell a remarkable variety of tooling, most not seen in stores. They will sell direct too.

http://www.wlfuller.com/

And another plug for Jorgensen clamps, still made here in Chicago in an old factory right down the street from me, by the same family for 5 generations. If you want to keep this stuff around, you've got to support it.

http://www.adjustableclamp.com/

David Meiland
11-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Lowe's and HD out here, and my local yard, have stopped selling Jorgensen clamps. They now have Irwin or these stupid Kobalt clamps or whatever, very inferior stuff, as well as some cheap Bessey in a couple of places. Fortunately a couple of the more sensible hardware stores are still selling Jorgensen.

dave_k
11-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Metabo still make some excellent power tools. These days you don't know for sure where anything is built. I was horrified to learn Altendorf makes some of their lower end saws in China. Even if a tool is built in the USA where are the component parts built? The metabo mini grinder I just bought says it's made in Germany and it's a NICE tool. The metabo drills I own and hammer drills all say made in germany.

Walter and Dynabrade still make solid tools. I don't know where the big dewalt router is made but it's a dead ringer for my old Elu that was made in Switzerland. Some of the Dewalt screwguns are carry overs from the Black and Decker industrial line which were excellent tools. I have a couple of their adjustable torque screwguns that are bomb proof. Twice the tool a similar Milwakee is

David Meiland
11-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Since Dave K is here, let me say that I covet a General table saw and jointer, but can't afford the primo Canadian stuff... assuming it's still Canadian.

JFRAMEBMF
11-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Ever since my porter cable rant I've been trying to research any tool and equipment purchase.Surprisingly I looked at some milwaukee stuff at the depot the other day and about 1/3 of what I was lookin at was made in USA,but it seemed as if it was stuff that HD was starting to phase it out.Hell,I even saw a couple dewalt and Bosch tools that were made in USA,but everything from ridgid was chiawanese crap.It was kind of a relief to find a couple Bosch tools still made in USA hammerdrills(the big ones),sander,and sawsall IIRC,I'd pretty much written Bosch off,and I'd been a fan of their tools since I first started buying tools.
Guess it goes to show;you have to do research and keep an open mind about where you buy.

PS. I scored a 10 1/4 Bigfoot saw on a 13 amp skil motor (made in USA) off a guy on craigslist
hardly used $100 !!!!!! I just lube up the bevel and depth nuts w/ silicone and it is almost brand effin new YAY ME !!

RackMaster
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Veto bags are made in the US. I love my Veto XXL-F (well except carrying it...too much crap in there).

kawendtco
11-08-2009, 07:07 PM
i would rather them be made here but i would rather whatever i buy be worth the money i spend. stanley bars are almost high school metals shop grade.

kawendtco
11-08-2009, 07:10 PM
you cant beat a jorgenson clamp. i have a couple of different brands in my shop. the jorgensons are used first and then if needed the other ones.

dave_k
11-08-2009, 07:13 PM
Since Dave K is here, let me say that I covet a General table saw and jointer, but can't afford the primo Canadian stuff... assuming it's still Canadian.

They still make a full line of stationary machines at their factory in Drummondville Quebec and it is pretty pricey but well made. Every time I pass by Drummondville on the highway I'm tempted to stop in and make a little pilgrimage there. They also carry a line of tools called General International that's made in China or maybe India, who knows. It's not so good

jeffmur
11-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Trojan tools, sawhorses etc., are American made.

Adam444
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I thought Veto bags were made in China. That's why I don't have one, I couldn't see spending $150 for a Chinese made tool bag.

Kent Brobeck
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Has anyone mentioned Stiletto and Starrett? Hart used to make some nice hammers as well not sure if they are still around. How about Bessey clamps particularly the K-body, very nice tools.

David Meiland
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.vetopropac.com/content.asp?id=742&catid=264

Check out what happened in 2001.

Reality is, most of us own tons of Chinese tools and other consumer products. Not sure what you can do about the tools, unless you're ready to go without a lot of very useful stuff.

NateMoss
11-08-2009, 07:28 PM
My Milwaukee saws all is made in the USA, Mississippi I believe. Its by far the most durable and best cutting saws all i have ever had.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Metabo still make some excellent power tools. These days you don't know for sure where anything is built. I was horrified to learn Altendorf makes some of their lower end saws in China. Even if a tool is built in the USA where are the component parts built? The metabo mini grinder I just bought says it's made in Germany and it's a NICE tool. The metabo drills I own and hammer drills all say made in germany.

Walter and Dynabrade still make solid tools. I don't know where the big dewalt router is made but it's a dead ringer for my old Elu that was made in Switzerland. Some of the Dewalt screwguns are carry overs from the Black and Decker industrial line which were excellent tools. I have a couple of their adjustable torque screwguns that are bomb proof. Twice the tool a similar Milwakee is

Agreed on all counts, Dave. I forgot to throw Metabo out there earlier, but have had the same experience as you with the tools of theirs that I own (sanders, grinders, drills). Ditto on the old B&D/Elu tools as well. I have that same DeWalt router & it's still going strong 15 years after I bought it. My favorite of theirs is an old right angle biscuit joiner that I've had since the early 90's. It's a really unique tool that I've found all kind of uses for.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Has anyone mentioned Stiletto and Starrett? Hart used to make some nice hammers as well not sure if they are still around. How about Bessey clamps particularly the K-body, very nice tools.

Kent, TTI now owns Stiletto tools. I agree that they're excellent pieces, but am concerned since TTI seems hellbent on producing as much as they can in Chiawan. I hope they don't mess with Stiletto, but only time will tell.

I forgot about Hart hammers. I believe they've licensed the some of the designs to Douglas, but I'm not 100% sure...http://douglastool.com/

FWIW, Douglas hammers are made in the USA & are of excellent quality.

gburnet
11-08-2009, 08:06 PM
I was looking at an inventory of some of our equipment & came up with a few more gems...

Honda power equipment. Made in Japan. Just bulletproof stuff.

Bench Dog tools. Made in the USA. Nicely engineered & machined products.

Leatherman tools. Usually made in the USA. My favorite multi-tools.

Panasonic cordless tools. Most are made in Japan.

Paslode pneumatics. Mostly made in the USA

Rol-Air compressors. The upper end ones are still made in the USA.

Rousseau products. I believe most of their stuff is made in the USA.

Thomas compressors. USA made.

Max pneumatics. Japanese made, quality, expensive.

Woodpecker products. Solid, USA made stuff.

tod evans
11-08-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.northfieldwoodworking.com/
http://www.uniquemachine.com/
http://www.jltclamps.com/
http://www.williamsnhussey.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=WNH
http://www.quincycompressor.com/

Joe Adams
11-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I thought Veto bags were made in China. That's why I don't have one, I couldn't see spending $150 for a Chinese made tool bag.

I have always wanted a Veto bag but agree that there's no way I'm paying that much for something made in China.

How about Bessey clamps particularly the K-body, very nice tools.

Bessey got bought out and a lot of their clamps are now made in China. I hate to see Bessey cheapening their name as I own several dozen K-bodies.

Lavrans
11-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Kent, TTI now owns Stiletto tools. I agree that they're excellent pieces, but am concerned since TTI seems hellbent on producing as much as they can in Chiawan. I hope they don't mess with Stiletto, but only time will tell.

I forgot about Hart hammers. I believe they've licensed the some of the designs to Douglas, but I'm not 100% sure...http://douglastool.com/

FWIW, Douglas hammers are made in the USA & are of excellent quality.

No- Douglas licensed their design to... Vaughn? Someone, it was called the "Woody", but there was some sort of problems and Douglas took over production and makes them here. They have licensed the design to Dalluge to make a Titanium version (I've got one and love it).

gburnet
11-09-2009, 06:05 AM
No- Douglas licensed their design to... Vaughn? Someone, it was called the "Woody", but there was some sort of problems and Douglas took over production and makes them here. They have licensed the design to Dalluge to make a Titanium version (I've got one and love it).

I've got that same one, Lavrans. I agree with you all the way - it's a perfect combination of weight, balance, & function in my opinion.

I've got one of the old Woody's as well. I think it was made by Hart? Don't know whatever became of them, though I see Dead-On is selling hammers that are similar looking to some of Hart's styles.

Thanks for the clarification, BTW.

Kent Brobeck
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
Emglo compressors where bought out by Dewalt. All of their operations where moved out of Johnstown Pennsylvania down to lovely Mexico. The compressors soon became POS. From what I understand the owners of Emglo signed a no compete clause that has since expired and they are now making compressors again under a new name that I can't remember. Emglo made excellent compressors and I hear the new ones are just a good.

This is a good example of how a company like DeWalt ruins an excellent company because of greed and stupidity. Obviously Emglo was successful making them in Pennsylvania so why move it to Mexico??

Found the name it's Jenny

http://www.jennyproductsinc.com/history.html

Kent Brobeck
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM
I was looking at an inventory of some of our equipment & came up with a few more gems...

Honda power equipment. Made in Japan. Just bulletproof stuff.

Bench Dog tools. Made in the USA. Nicely engineered & machined products.

Leatherman tools. Usually made in the USA. My favorite multi-tools.

Panasonic cordless tools. Most are made in Japan.

Paslode pneumatics. Mostly made in the USA

Rol-Air compressors. The upper end ones are still made in the USA.

Rousseau products. I believe most of their stuff is made in the USA.

Thomas compressors. USA made.

Max pneumatics. Japanese made, quality, expensive.

Woodpecker products. Solid, USA made stuff.

Greg, you are on the case!

BGeezus
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned previously,but the CHANNELOCKS I have were all made in the USA.The curved sidecutters,model 447 (my favorite,never leave home without them) that I bought a few weeks ago are engraved with "made in the USA". A bargain at $20,the Kleins are $30 and don't work as well for me.

My older Channelock slip joint pliers as well,of course.( pretty sure they still make them here.)

Also,my WISS yellow handled aviation snips,still made in the USA.

Anthony B
11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
What about this tape measure? I'm not sure. Most of the tapes I see from Lufkin now are made in China. This tape says Lufkin USA on it.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/107386/Lufkin_2316_Measuring_Tape

Overbuilders
11-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Haven't perused the entire list here, but I was in an old-fashioned hardware store yesterday and saw Eklind and Allen hex wrenches, and some Crescent brand tools, all still made in the USA.

bkerley
11-12-2009, 12:09 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned previously,but the CHANNELOCKS I have were all made in the USA.The curved sidecutters,model 447 (my favorite,never leave home without them) that I bought a few weeks ago are engraved with "made in the USA". A bargain at $20,the Kleins are $30 and don't work as well for me.

My older Channelock slip joint pliers as well,of course.( pretty sure they still make them here.)

Also,my WISS yellow handled aviation snips,still made in the USA.

I got a channelock mechanics set from Sam's and it was good quality Tiawan stuff. It got stolen the other day and I am in the market for a replacement. I went straight to Sam's and was greeted by a smaller cheaper poorly made imitation of the former set. I still haven't decided what to get now.

I will probably go back to Craftsman.

Overbuilders
11-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Everyone over 40 surely remembers Great Neck tools.

bkerley
11-12-2009, 03:27 PM
I remember when they used to be worth having.

Overbuilders
11-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Great Neck tools were like American made Chinese tools. A little inferior.

RayCGL
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Here is some made in the USA stuff I've been buying recently, I'll often not buy something if not made here.

Lenox - Sawzall blades

Sears Craftsman Professional Hole Saws and Arbors - Currently on sale at Sears

Bob's Leather Tool Belts - www.bobsleather.com

Empire - Speed squares

Craftsman - Their speed squares and levels are made here (by Empire I believe)

Craftsman - Router bit holders, they are the black plastic strips except instead of 3/8" or 1/2" stubs for sockets they are a locking hole for 1/2" or 1/4" router bits, a steal at my Sears for $1.00 each

Purdy and Wooster Paint brushes - Used a Purdy Cub and Wooster Yachtsman for some stain work last week

Contractor's Boots from duluthtrading.com - I bought these to replace some cheap imports, very comfortable made in Wisconsin

Dapco(I think this is the name) - the brand of nail sets they sell at Home Depot here are suprisingly USA made

Vermont American drill bits

BGeezus
11-17-2009, 07:20 AM
I got a channelock mechanics set from Sam's and it was good quality Tiawan stuff. It got stolen the other day and I am in the market for a replacement. I went straight to Sam's and was greeted by a smaller cheaper poorly made imitation of the former set. I still haven't decided what to get now.

I will probably go back to Craftsman.

Didn't know Channellock offered mechanics tools,probably rebranded Chaiwan crap.

I don't shop at Sam's or the "memebership stores"...maybe they should be called "China Direct"?

philthegreek
11-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Anything associated with small-mart is Chinese. That includes Sam'a club. small-mart is Chinas 5th or 6th largest trading partner, It's true! If you want hand tools with no-questions-asked replacement, Snap-On tools, MATCO tools and MAC tools will give you that at a slightly higher price than Channellock and about on par with Klein but way better in quality. One of my electrical houses has Klein exclusively, I am totally NOT impressed with them.

Remember, BDK (Black&Decker) owns many tool brands and they are all (pretty much) made in China. Look out for Craftsman as well, very little made here and very little that is not just rebranded. Certainly not what it was in the distant past.

phil

bkerley
11-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Sears put a 154 pc Craftsman mechanic set on sale for 89.99 over the weekend and I picked up 2 of them. One for now and the other for after my grandson loses the first one. I actually came out a little better because apparently they offer two 154 pc sets and the one is worth more than the other because it has 12pt sockets instead of all 6pt and more bit tips or something like that. The salesperson that rang them up was able to tell the difference. I couldn't (the print on the label was too small).

I was going to wait and get them on Sunday because they were going to run an additional 10% off sale then. The salesperson had the forethought to recheck the price for Sunday and the same set was going to go up to 99.99 overnight to absorb the 10% off.

Anyway, I think I got a good deal.

bkerley
11-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Phil - I have really lost faith in Klein recently.

David Meiland
11-17-2009, 09:29 AM
What has changed? I have several pairs of their lineman's pliers and several angled side-cutters, a few needlenose, etc. They get constant use, great tools.

bkerley
11-17-2009, 10:34 AM
The quality today isn't what it was 10 yrs ago especially in the cutter/stripper tools. The pliers are about the same after you get them broken in which also seems to take alot longer.

David Meiland
11-17-2009, 01:31 PM
I'll have to check that out, it would be a major disappointment as I have loved my Klein stuff, especially the side cutters.

expatjon
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
i just saw that sears is starting to sell Wera, a German of brand screwdrivers and bits. i recommend the bi-torsion bits and bit holders. looks like they are only available online though.

JFRAMEBMF
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM
bought a fastcap 25' tape today @ Woodcraft neat little tape,Got out to the truck and unpackaged it and there was a made in china sticker staring me in the face,For some reason,while in the store I didn't think to look for the origin,nice tape ,but disappointing

Overbuilders
11-29-2009, 11:06 AM
So I'm cleaning out cabinets in my storage room and came upon a treasure trove of tool catalogs dating back to the late 70's. Among them:

Miller's Falls
Goldblatt
Malco
Foster
Senco
Empire
Swanson
Starrett
Jorgensen
Estwing
Jacobs
W.L. Fuller
Hanson
Malco
Thorsen
Allied
S-K
Lufkin
Cooper
Irwin

Not to mention Rockwell, PC, B&D, Milwaukee, DW, Bosch, et al. All brawn, no BS, and made in America. Anyone remember when Stanley made power tools?

Bonus Question: Does anyone still use Knape & Vogt hardware?

Lavrans
11-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Bonus Question: Does anyone still use Knape & Vogt hardware?

Sure, KV has its place. You don't?

gburnet
11-29-2009, 11:18 AM
So I'm cleaning out cabinets in my storage room and came upon a treasure trove of tool catalogs dating back to the late 70's.

And here I thought Dick was the patriarch of the site! I didn't know you were also an AARP member, Rick. ;p

Overbuilders
11-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Sure, KV has its place. You don't?

As in sliding glass track, glass case locking hardware, dadoed brackets 'n clips? I haven't used their product in a long, long time...

Overbuilders
11-29-2009, 11:25 AM
And here I thought Dick was the patriarch of the site! I didn't know you were also an AARP member, Rick. ;p

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I'm a 21 year old 51 year old. AARP literature gets mailed out in your 49th year. Quite sobering when it does, actually. Your starter packet is on it's way. Back atcha! ;p

Lavrans
11-29-2009, 11:51 AM
As in sliding glass track, glass case locking hardware, dadoed brackets 'n clips? I haven't used their product in a long, long time...

Sure, they still do some things better than others. Of course, like all the rest, most of their product is largely Taiwan/China. They are now a "design and distributor of...". As are most hardware makers now.

calvert
11-29-2009, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=Overbuilders;500383

. Anyone remember when Stanley made power tools?

[/QUOTE]

When I first started working for a builder during college breaks I would spend a lot of time in his shop. He had several nice Stanley electric tools including the door hanging kit with router, planer attachment and template. That was a nice setup and I know you can still find them from time to time.

But, speak of Stanley routers, if you have never seen the model R-22 you just can't imagine someone could even hold onto the thing. I purchased one at an auction about 15 years ago. Without having it directly in front of me I am sure the base is in the 10" to 11" range and it weighs in at 25+ pounds. It has an eyebolt on top for overhead delivery in a factory production setting.

I also have a Stanley unishear for light gauge metal cutting that works great.

Overbuilders
11-29-2009, 04:54 PM
I have a Stanley 80265 Rout-About router. Looks like a laminate router. 100% metal housing, base, and handles.

Joe Adams
11-29-2009, 09:29 PM
On Black Friday, I bought a Bosch 1584AVSK Barrel Grip Jigsaw at Rockler for $99! My long awaited dedicated coping saw.

When I got home and started to open it, I found "Made in P.R.C." written in tiny print on the bottom of the box.

CHINA!!! Sneaky bastards! I'm seriously considering returning it and buying another brand.

David Meiland
11-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Don't know what you could buy that wouldn't be Chinese made, except the Festool. Maybe a P-C jigsaw would be from Mexico, I have a few of their routers that are.

Overbuilders
11-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Found while perusing old tool catalogs and looking for a good home:

- Fine Woodworking magazine from May/June '82 to Sep/Oct '84.

- Fine Homebuilding magazine from Feb/Mar '83 to Dec '84/Jan '85

- Fine Woodworking 'Proven Shop Tips' and 'More Proven Shop Tips'

Best offer. In lieu of best offer, free and you pay shipping.

Joe Adams
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Don't know what you could buy that wouldn't be Chinese made, except the Festool. Maybe a P-C jigsaw would be from Mexico, I have a few of their routers that are.

I'm pretty sure my Bosch top handle jigsaw (bought in 1998) was made in Switzerland.

I'd love a Festool Trion. That's what Gary Katz was using at the Roadshow I attended this year.

Metabo makes a barrel grip jigsaw in Germany. I think this was the one used on the Collins Coping Foot demo video.

Hickorywind
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
On Black Friday, I bought a Bosch 1584AVSK Barrel Grip Jigsaw at Rockler for $99! My long awaited dedicated coping saw.

When I got home and started to open it, I found "Made in P.R.C." written in tiny print on the bottom of the box.

CHINA!!! Sneaky bastards! I'm seriously considering returning it and buying another brand.

Last time i looked Bosch 1590/1591 jigsaws were out of Switzerland (Don't work with Collins
foot) Also their JS5--- a decent jigsaw that has been on sale for as low as $65.
quick blade change, dust port. Made in Switzerland. Also not compatible with Collins.
But yes, they moved their old staple jigs production to China.

Malco---Made in U.S.A.

Jacobs chucks---closing their last U.S, factory (S.C.)

newman
11-30-2009, 09:24 PM
I have an older Milwaukee jigsaw that's made in Germany, by AEG I believe. I was looking at getting one of the barrel grip Bosch saws for use with my Collins coping foot, but after hearing that the Bosch is now made in China, I think I'll look for a used one...

PCFCACarpenter
12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I have the made in China Bosch barrel grip jigsaw that I use with the Collins Coping Foot and it works great, no problems at all.

David Meiland
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM
I picked up a Hyde 6" flexible taping knife today... Made in USA.

bkerley
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Found while perusing old tool catalogs and looking for a good home:

- Fine Woodworking magazine from May/June '82 to Sep/Oct '84.

- Fine Homebuilding magazine from Feb/Mar '83 to Dec '84/Jan '85

- Fine Woodworking 'Proven Shop Tips' and 'More Proven Shop Tips'

Best offer. In lieu of best offer, free and you pay shipping.

If I pay shipping will you give me your AARP discount or should I use mine?

Overbuilders
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
AARP is a book club I do not belong to. Got your invitation yet?

Overbuilders
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
I suppose I should be taking advantage of their discounts, though...

bkerley
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh yeah. My wife and I have been traveling on their dime (partially) for some time now. One of the advantages of marrying outside of your age baracket. The monthly mags are usually fairly insightful.

Branson
12-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Made in the USA means 51% of the content is made in the US and the rest can come from anywhere, as with Makita, Stanley, and many other companies that have product made in China, assembled in Mexico, and courtesy of NAFTA trucked across the border with no duty to pay. The problem with products made in China is the loss of US manufacturing jobs but that has been going on for decades and got a huge boost under Reagan and later Clinton.

With tools though it is foolish to look only to American companies. If a German company designs a better rotary hammer that bores twice as fast and holds up better on the job, but has it manufactured in China to their specifications, should I instead buy a 20 year old design from an American company that has chosen not to invest in R&D for new designs or put capital into new equipment?

Look at all the tungsten carbide tipped large gullet hole cutters and you will find Chinese manufactured products (except for Relton). The difference is that the Chinese government provides capital to small factories to buy the necessary production equipment while our government gives our money to companies developing new tanks and bombs. So we do still lead the world in the manufacturer and export of WMD's even if tools have take a back seat.

If I buy a Vaughan hammer or a pair of Channel Locks it is because they are the best tools for the job and have a reputation for quality. I have vise grips that were made cheaply during WW II but still function perfectly and try to buy tools that will outlast me and at the very least will make it through the job so I finish on schedule and my clients are happy.

BGeezus
12-03-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the whole issue is a lot more complex than anyone of us can figure.

I'm just now starting to pay attention to the country of origin,and trying to give American products and countries that engage in fair trade and fair work practices first shot.

gburnet
04-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Came across a site for clothing that's all made in the U.S. according to the company...http://www.allamericanclothing.com/SFNT.html

ycf dino
04-30-2010, 07:09 AM
We buy the BEST tools for the job and our budget.
If the tool feels good in our hands and pockets with a good guarantee from the makers...
we don't look for the place of origin.

The same time we export 35%... of the tools that we make with the tools that we bought...
to others like (us) US.
UK, CA, AU, Norway, S.Africa, France, Japan, Belgium, Spain, Mexico, Brazil... New York...

The above list shows the good players and trading partners.
After 1000 + exports to EU without any sales in Germany ( except for US military)
our way of buying may change ????

But again, If the tool is that good...why not use it to gain the edge????

Not an easy answer here.

gburnet
06-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Here's a great source for tools (& other products) all made in the U.S.A.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html

Overbuilders
06-26-2010, 06:41 AM
i heard some handtools made in China are high performance and quality

Repeat after me:

"I-am-we-Todd-did."

"I-am-sofa-king-we-Todd-did."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-704985594321203050#

gburnet
06-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Repeat after me:

"I-am-we-Todd-did."

"I-am-sofa-king-we-Todd-did."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-704985594321203050#

That's classic!

rpuglisi
06-26-2010, 08:37 AM
i have had 2 veto bags break the top handle off ,no support from rodger ....DONE with veto.we also had 2 thomas hd135? compressors burn out after moderate use ,these were twice the money as the other comps out there ,i bought the hype from this forum and from the rep at jlc live.those of us who use this forum should be carefull not to hype tools only because we own them . I paid more money for my dewalt 8.5 cms on gregs recomendation and am SO greatfull that i didn't cheap out and buy the hitachi less than 300 with a "FREE" router)

chuckwoodchuck
06-27-2010, 01:00 AM
i have had 2 veto bags break the top handle off ,no support from rodger ....DONE with veto.we also had 2 thomas hd135? compressors burn out after moderate use ,these were twice the money as the other comps out there ,i bought the hype from this forum and from the rep at jlc live.those of us who use this forum should be carefull not to hype tools only because we own them . I paid more money for my dewalt 8.5 cms on gregs recomendation and am SO greatfull that i didn't cheap out and buy the hitachi less than 300 with a "FREE" router)

Hopefully you are not backing the Dewalt because you believe it is made in the U.S....because it is not.

gburnet
06-27-2010, 06:00 AM
Hopefully you are not backing the Dewalt because you believe it is made in the U.S....because it is not.

There are few miter saws made in the U.S. these days. Makita may have some of the only ones I'm aware of (?). The Dewalt 712 is made in Italy & the quality shines through. That may not only be due to the fact it's made in a country that has a history of producing good quality products, but also because the Dewalt engineers did their homework. In the end, I'd rather support a product like that vs. rewarding the manufacturers who make Chiawanese junk.