PDA

View Full Version : Adding hot mud to all purpose

cniverson
10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I work for a GC and to keep us busy during these slow times, we are doing most phases of the jobs. Has anyone ever tried adding hot mud to all purpose? I use hot mud for large voids or small jobs, but am still using all purpose for large jobs. I would love to crank the heat up and crack windows so mud is dry by morning, but that is not always possible.

Capt-sheetrock
10-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I work for a GC and to keep us busy during these slow times, we are doing most phases of the jobs. Has anyone ever tried adding hot mud to all purpose? I use hot mud for large voids or small jobs, but am still using all purpose for large jobs. I would love to crank the heat up and crack windows so mud is dry by morning, but that is not always possible.

You can add it okay, I add a pan of 90 to 3/4 bucket of ap for coating metal beads,,, the deal is, adding hot mud will keep the mud from "shriking" it still don't dry no faster.

One thing to remember,,, hot mud just "sets" fast, it does not dry any faster, so if you put 3 coats of 20 min mud on, you have coated it, but it won't be dry enough to sand tomarrow.

cniverson
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Thanks Craig, my skills aren't quite ready yet for hot mud with all three coats. Hopefully better days are just around the corner and we can all get back to doing what we do best.

kawendtco
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
my main guy has done drywall all of his life including as a child. one of the things he does is mix whatever ceiling color paint is into his knockdown. it has color through and through. i was a little reluctant at first because it was so out of the norm, but we have done several restaurant rehabs and they all have held up fine. a little more masking initially, but you dont have to come back and spray paint the ceiling. just roll the walls and cut in.

betterdrywall
10-23-2009, 08:38 AM
Sorry but I'm not a Pro drywall finishers so I can't make any comment about such stuff as HOT MUD . By the way what is HOT MUD?

tomthetoolman40
10-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry but I'm not a Pro drywall finishers so I can't make any comment about such stuff as HOT MUD . By the way what is HOT MUD?

You are joking right?

MarkMc
10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
You are joking right?

HM is not a national colloquial term. I learned it first in OR myself, some 16 states into my career. Funny thing is, the local yard I get it at out there many of them think it's called HM cause they store it in a heated [dry] room. Go figure.

frenchie
10-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Next time you mix a bit too much, and it's starting to set up in the pail, put a hand on the side/bottom of the bucket. It actually does get kinda hot.

tomthetoolman40
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
HM is not a national colloquial term. I learned it first in OR myself, some 16 states into my career. Funny thing is, the local yard I get it at out there many of them think it's called HM cause they store it in a heated [dry] room. Go figure.

Ok "hot mud" is a regional term then.

So for those that don't know, it refers to fast setting joint compound. I use beadex or hamiltons, but there are others to choose from based on personal preference.

My apologies to Betterdrywall.

Joepro0000
10-23-2009, 03:44 PM
put water in an empty bucket, half bag of 45, more water, and half bucket of mud and mix. Insert the half bucket of mud in while mixing the 45, and you will have your mud dried by tomorrow.

Capt-sheetrock
10-23-2009, 09:19 PM

Of course your not a pro, you live in another state and you don't have a GC lic,

But to anwser your question,, HOT MUD is mud that looks beeter and has a nice BUTT !!!

betterdrywall
10-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Thanks Captain I think I understand HOT MUD now. Yes I live in a land that is full of what everyone living in other states call dumb okies. But if amazes me that most of these people come from a far away land called california Funny place calie is cant do this cant do that and ya gotta pay a high price to live there and I hear the taxes are high . They dont want you to own a gun ????? and they think it is ok for a man to marry a man ???? even my puppy dog knows better than to mess with another boy dog.

Greg From K/W
10-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Ya better be a dick go ahead Guess thats what I get for trying to make friends and be nice to people screw you.

betterdrywall
10-24-2009, 11:02 AM
Funny some guys just because they are GC'S can come in here talk all the trash they want saying words like DICK and CHEAPASS BITCH and there considered Professionals . Then there is someone like me that would never use an oilbase primer before doing a plaster repair so i could make sure and have a great bond to primer and paint over after it is finished.
I'm not a professional.

TWhite
10-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Ya better be a dick go ahead Guess thats what I get for trying to make friends and be nice to people screw you.

Hey Greg why not fill out your profile? Thanks

DSJOHN NH
10-24-2009, 12:19 PM
Are any of you guys card carrying members of R.O.S.E. ? DSJOHN

frenchie
10-24-2009, 05:52 PM
What's ROSE?

I googled, but I doubt you meant any of these:

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/ROSE

??

GaryJR
10-26-2009, 06:47 AM
This is not going to be another "level of finish" thread is it?

betterdrywall
10-26-2009, 07:23 AM
Gary : this could be another "level of finish" for sure.