PDA

View Full Version : Fastener preference for overlaying subfloor for flooring

miterme
09-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Whats the fastener preference for laying another layer of plywood or osb subfloor over existing subfloor to increase rough height in order to have two separate flooring materials plane together equally?

Situations like floor covering in foyer is stone and 1" + thick and adjoining room is 3/4 hardwood.

kreg McMahon
09-06-2009, 09:29 AM
what are you trying to do? cover up the marble or increase hardwood floor height?

tjbnwi
09-06-2009, 09:37 AM
I use a Senco stapler, thickness of new sub floor determines which one.

Floors up to 3/8" I use a 1/4" crown, for 1/2" and up I use a 7/16" crown. Choose the appropriate length.

Tj

cniverson
09-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Depends how thick your underlayment will be. If this is for hardwood, I like to put my vapor barrier between the subfloor and underlayment.

miterme
09-06-2009, 02:22 PM
what are you trying to do? cover up the marble or increase hardwood floor height?

Increase underlayment for hardwood floor height so that the hardwood is flush with the marble.

Often my framers us a 7/16 stapler with about 2" in length.

I was wondering what other options are out there. Ive never ran into a standardized nailing schedule or fastener schedule for underlayment, so I was curious about others.

Greg From K/W
09-06-2009, 10:29 PM
If you r going to put down a second layer of subfloor why not screw it down? Why let the home owner suffer with a crap load of squeaks later? I never understood why anyone would staple or nail down even underlay? I screwed down my own bath subfloor. 3/4 X 5" boards on a 45 degree angle. Then I was dum and nailed down the under lay with ring nails. Now my whole damned bath floor squeaks so bad I am tempted to tear it all up and start over. I will never again allow any subfloor or underlay to be nailed or stapled down again because of this.

WarriorWithWood
09-07-2009, 12:15 AM
I screw it down with 2 1/2" screws on the joists and 1 1/2" screws in the field, or trowel out construction adhesive and use 7/16 staples for adding anything thicker then luan. Luan gets 1/4" bostitch pneumatic staples.

I honestly feel anything less you'll get a squeak at some point so why risk it?

davenorthup
09-07-2009, 03:07 AM
We always glued and screwed as well - no squeaks.

miterme
09-07-2009, 04:39 AM
Those of you who have glued and screwed, how many sq ft are you typically doing that on? I ask because on the few jobs that we've placed new underlayment over subfloor, its been a lot of sq ft, perhaps 1500 +/-.

philthegreek
09-07-2009, 09:39 AM
100' , 1000', what's the difference? If you want squeak free, solid subflooring for hardwood that will hold a flooring staple or cleat nail, screw and glue. :)

phil

cniverson
09-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I try not to ever glue. Nothing is forever and I seem to be the poor bastard that has to go in and remove the underlayment.

Tim Uhler
09-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I try not to ever glue. Nothing is forever and I seem to be the poor bastard that has to go in and remove the underlayment.

I was that poor guy. My brother and I ripped out the underlayment in my aunt's kitchen so she could get hardwood installed. This is a house we built for her back in 2000. The finish carp we used then stapled down the 1/2" particleboard with 1/4" crown staples and glued it with construction adhesive.

Had it been plywood, it would have came up easier. The particleboard just fell apart. When I got to here walk in pantry, then the flooring just came right up. It hadn't been glued.

The little frame we are just finishing up and will probably do the finish work in, I think I'll staple the underlayment down with 7/16" staples no glue.

Our hardwood guy said that he charges a lot more to put in hardwood in Pioneer homes when customers want to add it down the road because he knows how difficult it is to tear it out.

Gave me a chance to try the new Stiletto prybars and they worked awesome.

miterme
07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
Old thread, but I didn't see an answer for field nailing.
We just did a job where we had to do 1/4" ply on top of subfloor to mate up to an older install.
We used 1" wide 1" long staples about 6" on edge and in field, overkill?

davenorthup
07-07-2010, 01:33 AM
I would have used 1" screws. ;)

Kent Brobeck
07-07-2010, 04:53 AM
If you r going to put down a second layer of subfloor why not screw it down? Why let the home owner suffer with a crap load of squeaks later? I never understood why anyone would staple or nail down even underlay? I screwed down my own bath subfloor. 3/4 X 5" boards on a 45 degree angle. Then I was dum and nailed down the under lay with ring nails. Now my whole damned bath floor squeaks so bad I am tempted to tear it all up and start over. I will never again allow any subfloor or underlay to be nailed or stapled down again because of this.

Greg, the reason it squeaks would be because you used 1 x 5 on a 45 degree angle. You should have used 3/4 plywood glued and attached with nails or screws and then gone over that with 1/4 hardibacker set in thinset & screwed per schedule.

Kent Brobeck
07-07-2010, 05:03 AM
Whats the fastener preference for laying another layer of plywood or osb subfloor over existing subfloor to increase rough height in order to have two separate flooring materials plane together equally?

Situations like floor covering in foyer is stone and 1" + thick and adjoining room is 3/4 hardwood.

It depends on what type of stone you are using. Marble would be set on a cement type backer. To get your hardwood to flush out might not need any thing but if it does I'd use plywood and 7/16 crown staples. Flooring squeaks mostly come from floor joist that are many different sizes. When you walk on it the plywood deflects and rubs on the nail. Using TJI's is the best thing you can do if you are looking for squeak free floors.