PDA

View Full Version : What Pressure Do You Run Your Framing Guns?

Tim Uhler
08-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Just curious and looking for background info.

What pressure do you run your framing guns?
What guns are you running?
Do you find that you have to adjust the pressure when you go from framing to nailing sheathing?

I'm looking for some comments to get an idea of how an avg framer (although none of us are avg right?) runs their rigs.

Any and all info/insight welcome.

steves
08-26-2008, 08:25 PM
I set our compressors to kick out at 130psi.
There could be as many as 12 guns running off it so the pressure at the gun is anyones guess.
Never had to adjust for different guns or jobs.

Brian Crisler
08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I run everything between 110 psi and 120 psi.

I use:

Hitachi NR83A
Max 890 Coil
Bostitch MC250
Hitachi NV75AG

We use the Hitachi NV75AG for sheathing and decking. We just adjust the depth of drive for each task.

Brian

Overbuilders
08-26-2008, 08:31 PM
110-120 PSI for framing, 80-90 PSI for sheathing. I frame solo, sporadic, and at times, spasmodic.

Edit/Add:

Hitachi NR83A Framer
Hitachi NR65AK PP
Senco SNS40 Stapler

Ray Dru
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Sounds like maybe you are trying to adjust pressure to adjust nail depth. Does not work very well, but I still do it once in a while, just to practice my cussing, otherwise I allways keep the pressure to the max.

Ray D

framer
08-26-2008, 11:59 PM
half the time, the pressure regulators get stuck and dont turn.
i usually just adjust the tip on the gun.

kawendtco
08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
wide open on our twin tank rol air. about 130 lbs outfeed. by the time it runs through a 3/8 main feeder and 100 to150 ft of 1/4 it is probably running 100 to 105 lbs. keep threatening to install an old pancake in line to help with line static pressure during sheathing, but it does well under most circumstances. wintertime is bad with moisture freezing in the lines and guns. heet works well, though it is probably a little harsh on the o rings and such. so many of our guns any more are throw away guns, they arent very good at the rebuild time any way. paslode, hitachi, and ridgid on framing, senco, hitachi and paslode on trim work.

Eli Golub
08-27-2008, 08:22 AM
WFO

porter-cable trimmers, hitachi framer.

TSJHD1
08-27-2008, 11:52 AM
High as it will go for framing. Just grab the gun with the loosest o-rings for sheathing. How's that for high-tech?

Tom

S. Donato
08-27-2008, 03:45 PM
i mostly frame basements, decks plus the occasional addition and reframe of a wall or two.

90-100 psi at all times and adjust depth at the gun. i use a ~5 year old PC FR350A framer.

as for trim guns i have a mixture... hitachi, PC, Bostitch.

i guess i am not a true "framer" but thought i would add my 2 cents ;-)

parkwest
08-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Just curious but how many on here have read the manuals that came with your nailers? Seems some a lot voided their warranties if my memory serves me correctly. lol

kawendtco
08-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Just curious but how many on here have read the manuals that came with your nailers? Seems some a lot voided their warranties if my memory serves me correctly. lol

never filled a warranty card out. we just rebuild the guns ourselves until nothing left to work with. then they sit on the shelf at the shop.one day ill have to have a huge garbage sale.(garage). i look at the worn out tools laying around and it helps me to realize why my knees, wrists, back etc., hurt all of the time. the best feel good pain in the world though. those tools helped put my four kids through our lutheran school and paid for our home and fed us.

wallmaxx
08-29-2008, 11:15 PM
120 psi

Hitachi NR90AC3 16d Shorts HDG (3 1/4" x .131 ga.) - framing

Chopper
08-30-2008, 06:13 AM
Anywhere from 90 to 110. Don't adjust for sheating.

O'BrienConstruction
08-30-2008, 07:41 AM
We use gas wheel barrel compressors that max out at 120. We leave them all at 120 and adjust depth of drive on the guns if need be. We use Hitachi NV83's for framing and sheathing. We don't do much siding or trim.

sbebuilders
08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
We use the Hitachi NR83A and Hitachi NR83A2 for framing and sheathing. The main reason we use the NR83A or NR83A2 for framing is that they function as a nail gun and an 8 pound sledge hammer. We’ve tried other brands for framing, but they don’t seem to last more than a year before they fall apart from being used as a sledge hammer.

All of my carpenters have a hand carry 4 cfm air compressor that they set at 120 psi, but we mainly use our 230v 3 HP continuous run 11.9 CFM set at 130 to 140 psi for framing that can handle 5 to 8 framers, that adjust the tip’s of their nail guns.

The first thing I look at on every set of plans I get, is the roof sheathing nail type and roof framing material. Most of our plans in the bay area callout for 10d nails for roof sheathing, but some EOR’s call out the 10d nail as a common nail with 3” in length. Or as a 3 ¼ 10d ring shank. These two nails are a pain in the butt to set flush with the plywood. So we set the compressor to run at 140 psi and use 3/8” hoses and have someone follow the nailer and pound in the nails that aren’t flush. Nailing into TJI’s with an LVL top cord isn’t to bad, but nailing into 2x lumber with a 3 ¼ ring shank leaves about 50% of the nails not set correctly.

Every once in a while I’ll call in a nailer that has an 11 HP gas compressor with a 30 to 50 gallon tank bolted to the back of their truck. They’ll set the psi at 120 and use a Hitachi NR83A with the firing pin filed down so it set’s all the nails flush with the top of the plywood no matter how fast they go, and yes they do use air regulator’s to keep the psi at 120.

On the last commercial building we did, my son Erik nailed the 7400 SF in 6-7 hours using 10d 2 3/8” screw nails into TJI’s roof joist 2’-0” O.C. with another carpenter following behind him to pound in the nails that weren’t set correctly using our 230v 3 HP continuous run 11.9 CFM air compressor set at 140 psi.

On the last residential building we did, my son Erik nailed the 3200 SF house in 4 hours or less using 8d 2 3/8” screw nails into TJI’s roof joist 16” O.C. without another carpenter following behind him to pound in the nails that weren’t set correctly using our 230v 3 HP continuous run 11.9 CFM air compressor set at 140 psi.

So, roof sheathing air compressor psi settings really depend on the type of nail being used and the type of lumber being used for the roof structure.

Do we adjust the air pressure when we go from framing to nailing sheathing?

No, we don’t adjust the air pressure; we make sure that we only have one carpenter plugged into the air compressor using a 3/8" hose when we go from framing to roof sheathing nailing.

Sim

Lavrans
08-30-2008, 02:01 PM
120 psi. I miss my old wheelbarrow compressor that I would set to 130+, but I don't frame much and have enough hand carries to do what I do. But they sure are a lot louder.

I don't adjust pressure when changing jobs.

Hitachi NR90AC3. Senco SN65, Senco SCN65, Max coil sheathing/siding nailer (great for sheathing if not longer than 3" nail), Hitachi NR65AK.

sawdaddy
09-03-2008, 11:32 AM
We set the compressors at about 125 PSI or so. I've got an older Rol-air that cranks up to 160 PSI and a PC electric that runs up to 150PSI so we gotta make sure to check the regulator before we start firing off nails. (Trying to sell the PC electric if anyone needs one in my area.)

I'm an odd man out on this forum in that I use Bostitch framers. We run three at a time with usually 250' or so of hose runout. With that much hose we get quite a bit of pressure drop at the guns themselves.

We don't usually change the pressure at the regulator, just adjust the guns themselves. Except for my old Bostitch dinosaur that doesn't have depth of drive adjustment on it...

gusthehonky
09-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Just over 100 for all, Bostich-framing, Hitachi-roofing, PC-trim