PDA

View Full Version : Baseboard and warped drywall

Kevin@Kaleo
08-25-2008, 05:54 PM
A customer called me to replace some baseboard (cherry stained oak). In looking at the baseboard it appears that some pieces are warped, but a lot it is just the drywall cupping behind the baseboard and pulling away from it.

Is there a way to pull the drywall out to the baseboard?
The baseboard seems to have some flex in it, enough to press it against the drywall, but then it would all be warped.

Shawn Prentice
08-25-2008, 07:01 PM
How can the drywall cup and pull away from the trim? Usually, it is the other way around. Is the base nailed properly? Is there or was there a leak or excess moisture in the area of the problem? Maybe, I don't understand.

Kubbie
08-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Could be sloppy framing - do you have a wavy wall? Usually I find mid-wall height to be worst - (+/- chair rail height) when the crowns on the studs alternate. But at the base usually your bottom plate is fairly straight. Or are you seeing that studs are straight and drywall between studs is all messed up?

On painted trim, my friend Alex is called in to fix it (or his friend Alex Plus...)

ycf dino
08-25-2008, 08:01 PM
A customer called me to replace some baseboard (cherry stained oak). In looking at the baseboard it appears that some pieces are warped, but a lot it is just the drywall cupping behind the baseboard and pulling away from it.

Is there a way to pull the drywall out to the baseboard?
The baseboard seems to have some flex in it, enough to press it against the drywall, but then it would all be warped.

This is a gray area.
What size baseboard?

Lavrans
08-25-2008, 09:26 PM
I've seen that happen when the plate was undersized, so the studs project past & the hangers fastened the rock to the plate. Then you get a cup at each bay. You might be able to just pull the screws or nails & the rock might get a bit flatter.

Depending on how bad it is... perhaps injecting some foam behind the rock & hoping it doesn't expand too far? Or if you can push the baseboard in enough you might put some con-ad on & brace the baseboard in until it sets, then it might pull the rock out when you take the bracing off.

Kgphoto
08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Sounds more like an unfinished tapered edge at the floor. Have them float it flat either before or after you install the base.

Kent Brobeck
08-25-2008, 09:48 PM
I was thinking along the lines of Kgphoto, If the base is intalled well. Float the drywall compound out to meet the base. Make sure you mask the trim. If you have a camera take some pic's; it makes it so much easier for us to undersand. Plus I like to take pic's of the jobs I bid so I can refer back to them while I prepare my estimate.

BeachBoy
08-26-2008, 12:46 AM
.... usually your bottom plate is fairly straight...

What bottom plate? ;-)

Charliehamr
08-27-2008, 08:41 AM
I've seen this pretty often. The usual culprits are sloppy framers, not aligning the stud edges with the plates, poorly dimensioned studs, poorly aligned corner posts, or sloppy rockers going right over anything in their way (nails, drywall chunks, wind braces, small dogs). One fix is to make sure that your base is straight or at least gently wavy, and to float out the worst areas with spackle. Time consuming, aggravating, and should be unnecessary, but there ya go.

ycf dino
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
two other ways.

# 1. with a 2x4 and a hammer hit the studs ( high spots) in place.
2x4 to be longer than 34" resting at 3 studs min.

If#1 don't work...usually works very easy...

go to #2.

a. find and mark the back of the baseboard, ( low spots)
b. tape the face of the baseboard, (blue tape)
c. apply loint compound on the marked spots, (large dots)
d. fit the baseboard straight and clean the excess jc.

long trim screws to hold the baseboard in place or even nails.
predrill with a drill bit, larger than the body of the screw-nail
and smaller than the head.

good luck.

betterdrywall
09-05-2008, 04:39 AM
charliehamr: your correct on everything... just need to add pipes to your list, edit: maybe small dogs will do for poor plumbing