PDA

View Full Version : Where and whether to install a wind break

Art_Yatsko
09-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Looking to put a wind break next to an exterior door. My plan was for a small wall (glass) to jut out about 24 inches, just upwind of the casing. I ran this idea past the "bar" committee and got a host of comments. One patron, whose opinion I respect, insisted that one wall would do better if attached, downwind of the doorway. He started talking about pressures and vortexes. As always, the ideas increased exponentially according to the rounds consumed. The final consensus was I would have to build two walls and hang a storm door on the end of them, or I was wasting my time. This won't work in the available space. So is it worth the effort to try and shield a very exposed door from a cross wind? And if so, is there anything to this theory of the air pressure being greater in front of the wall (so it should go after the doorway), and a great loss in air pressure after it (that will suck more warm air right thru the door).

Thanks for your help- Art

bread and roses
09-18-2007, 05:06 PM
A low-pressure area in front of the door might suck warm air out, but a high-pressure area in front of the door would push cold air in, wouldn't it? It seems like what you want would depend on whether you intended the interior space to have a pressure differential with the exterior space.

My thought experiment goes like this. You're standing up against a wall in the wind, and there's a 24" wall jutting out perpendicularly. Where do you go to feel more comfortable, windward of the wall or to the lee? I can imagine turbulence bringing the wind in and all, but I'd pick the lee, myself (behind the wall from the wind). So I'd put the little wall upwind of the door. At least you have some shelter while you're getting your key in the lock or waiting for the door to be answered.

frenchie
09-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Speaking as an ex-Canuck... yeah, definitely upwind. On both sides is even better, especially if it's roofed over.

A storm door at the end is absolutely the best, but that doesn't mean it's the only worthwhile solution: some shelter is still better than none.

Art_Yatsko
10-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Thanks for all the input!

dgbldr
10-06-2007, 01:50 AM
Speaking as an ex-Canuck...

Wow, you played pro hockey?

dg