PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way to remodel paper walls in a bathroom

Joepro0000
06-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I got a job coming up, and want to know should I use the heat gun and scrap off the wall paper and then skim it out, or scrap it out only where its pealing out, and skim coat the entire wall, then prime/paint?

Looking to achieve the a good look, but the fastest solution possible. Its only walls, no ceilings.

magna111
06-03-2007, 12:47 PM
rip out walls and replace with new. that is probably your quickest and easiest way to do it.

dgbldr
06-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Depends on wallpaper. If it's a good, more recent wallpaper job, the wallpaper may come off cleanly and quickly with no damage to wall.

Older wallpaper can be very labor-intensive. Last bathroom we did (about 10x13, high ceiling) took over 15 hours to peel the wallpaper with a steam machine.

I would not skim and paint over wallpaper under any circumstances. If you absolutely must, I would use the wall repair fabric over the entire wall, but I doubt it's any cheaper or faster.

DG

Overbuilders
06-03-2007, 01:27 PM
I would not skim and paint over wallpaper under any circumstances. If you absolutely must, I would use the wall repair fabric over the entire wall, but I doubt it's any cheaper or faster. DG

Agreed. Try this, it works great:

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=20

frenchie
06-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Skimming over wallpaper is just a complicated way of removing the remaining wallpaper: half of it will lift when you skim (moisture in the compound), then you're back to removing it with the added mess of your first coat of compound. Nasty.

Rent a steamer, use the scoring tool if needed, just get it all off before you skim. And make sure to wash & rinse the wall before you skim, get any residual wallpaper glue off before you skim, too.

Mike from NH
06-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Joe-

Rip out and re-rock! Here is your oppertunity to sell a Dens Armor Plus upgrade, and I bet it would be quicker than fiddle frigging with the wall paper.

dgbldr
06-03-2007, 07:15 PM
Mike,

That's true...sometimes. You can't rip out the rock most of the time. There are vanities, lighting, tile baseboard, various door/window/other trim, etc. that would need to be removed and replaced. Except when gutting the room in the first place, I have never seen a bathroom where you could do that faster or cheaper than removing the wallpaper, no matter how tedious the wallpaper was.

DG

Joepro0000
06-03-2007, 07:20 PM
Mike,

That's true...sometimes. You can't rip out the rock most of the time. There are vanities, lighting, tile baseboard, various door/window/other trim, etc. that would need to be removed and replaced. Except when gutting the room in the first place, I have never seen a bathroom where you could do that faster or cheaper than removing the wallpaper, no matter how tedious the wallpaper was.

DG

Thats why I posted this, they don't want to do that. I got a heatgun, and I believe it will soften it up, and make it come out easily. We'll see!

dgbldr
06-03-2007, 08:08 PM
Joe,

Try a small area first. I've never seen wallpaper come out with a heat gun, but I've never tried it either.

There are only 2 methods I know: steam and chemicals.

Let us know how you make out with the heat gun.

DG

m beezo
06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
It depends on the wallpaper and the glue used as well as if the walls have any primer or paint on the drywall. Foil faced wallpapler is just about like trying to get aluminum foil to let moisture pass. It must be scored to do any good. Sometimes you can get the top layer to lift off and then you are left with the backing and the glue. This is often the case of just about any paper. It is almost always a 2 layer paper. The glue is a different story. They old days they used to use a wheat based glue which is yellow, very stubborn to remove. It is like the old flour and water paste that you used to make in grade school and once it gets wet it just gets gummy and nasty. Once it is wet it can often be scraped off with a 4 or 6 inch knife.

If the walls are not primed or painted or prepped at all you can get a lot of drywall paper damage. So you want to try the methods you choose carefully until you have at least something of an idea of what is under it. If they are primed, painted or prepped right drywall damage will be minimal if you take your time, let the chemicals or steamer do the work.

I have never heard of using a heat gun if you are meaning a heat gun that blows out 800 degree dry heat. I would worry about catching a tag of the paper on fire and you would be doing a fire damage job.

Mike from NH
06-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Ok get ready to laugh but one day watching the DIY Network.... they had a segment on wall-paper removal and had this http://www.wallwikcompany.com/index.asp on the show, looked pretty cool. I'd try it if I needed it.

dgbldr
06-03-2007, 10:04 PM
That's one of the many chemicals mentioned by me and m beezo. I have no reason to believe it wouldn't work.

DG

Joepro0000
06-03-2007, 10:26 PM
what about a 2 thick coats of 45, and then a skim

johnnyknockdown
06-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Joe
Sherwin Williams has a product called Drywall Conditioner ( not Loxon)

I tested it once on patches where a wall mirror was removed where you get the brown paper that peels and bubbles no matter what you do to it. I left the paper on a few of the patches real loose and rolled it on.
I was amazed that it sealed it so I could skim with no bubbles.
I've tried that with kilz and other paints but it never worked before

Supposedly that is what the product is designed for.
I don't know if it will work for your application but maybe some of you guys have tried it before

davenorthup
06-04-2007, 04:31 AM
What kind of paper?

I'd never leave a paper on and skim over - especially in a bath - subject to steam and such. The score and chemicals works best and it is a two step process deal as described. I recently removed approx 2000 FT SQ of paper and it was a pain, but much quicker than re-rocking. Get a 4" scraper with replaceable blades, works much better than a putty knife.

The obvious is all paper removal is T&M. A small bath that is gutted is often faster to re-rock than remove stubborn paper.

Here is a grass cloth that peeled nicely, the adhesive was very quick with chemicals. If the rock was properly primed before paper - the removal is painless, if not properly primed you are facing a long frustrating day.

scott_w
06-04-2007, 07:14 AM
You guys may laugh at this one but I'll tell you a trick. I use downy fabric softner mixed in a weed sprayer (could probably use a windex bottle). I think I mix about a cup/5gal of hot water ( you may need to add more). First pull off the first layer, spray this on and it comes off within about 30 secs to 1 min. It works VERY well for everything I have done. It is MUCH faster than a steamer. You will need to wash the walls down after to remove the residue.

Do a google search and check it out. I have done it and it is the only method I use. It is cheaper than any solution you will by or machine you will rent. If you try it please post your results for everyones benefit (and so they will stop laughing at me!)

scott

m beezo
06-04-2007, 07:21 AM
I have used Diff and fabric softener. Not sure which one works better but I think the main thing is that the products make the solution stick to the wall a little longer. Main thing I notice is once you get an area wet, keep it wet and let the chemicals do the work for you. Once it is wet you can usually scrape it off without much problem, them wash the walls down.

Joepro0000
06-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks! Answered Resolved!

tlfettled
06-05-2007, 07:31 AM
Thats why I posted this, they don't want to do that. I got a heatgun, and I believe it will soften it up, and make it come out easily. We'll see!

SIR: I f i where you i would forget the heat gun and get ready to work a couple of days with a pump up water sprayer and a fine edge mud knife ! OR remove and replace the sheet rock or cover the entire area with 1/4 inch rock or 3/8 rock ! BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND THIS AINT MY FIRST RODEO !

scott_w
06-05-2007, 10:32 AM
I have stripped and entire 10x10 room in about 1hr. Then you just need to clean the walls, and a few touch-ups. Not a big deal at all. I would definately think it is alot more cost effective than tear out and redo.

scott

Joepro0000
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
I have stripped and entire 10x10 room in about 1hr. Then you just need to clean the walls, and a few touch-ups. Not a big deal at all. I would definately think it is alot more cost effective than tear out and redo.

scott

Yes your right,

You got to take into consideration its in living conditions, and less mess, less garbage to remove. You want to be bagging up the trash, and having it to haul it away? Not in Miami, roads and streets are heavily crowded all day long, especially the Home Depots!